RC Qualifier

Slash LCG chassis or standard Slash 4x4 chassis for general bashing duty?

Taking money out of the equation for simplicity sake, if you were building a slash 4x4 for general bashing, would you start with the traxxas LCG chassis or just the standard 4x4 chassis?

I would run it about 40% on pavement, 40% on dirt, and about 20% short grass. I do like to jump a lot so that's a factor but I just mostly use my ten-eighty ramp, nothing crazy.

I would assume many would say the standard slash 4x4 chassis but I wanted to ask and get everyone's opinion because I heard the LCG doesn't roll over near as much and rolls back upright many times when it does. So Ive read it handles better, jumps better, and Ive read it has the same ground clearance except in the center and it slides over obstacles well at speed. It may "jump better", but in my mind I picture that chassis hitting the ground aweful hard landing jumps?

I will want to stay with SC wheels and tires, just my aesthetic preference, so factor that in.

Probably going to run a MMP 2400kv on 3 cells mostly if that matters. If money becomes more of a factor I may have to go with a MMP 3800kv so I can stay with the 2s batts that I already have.

If it wasnt for the grass and the jumping I would assume to go with the LCG, but I do have to factor that stuff in so...

RC Champion
    It really depends on how rough the terrian is, if you are on smoother dirt and shorter grass get the LCG as it will amaze you on the street.
    Slash 4x4 LCG+(rolling)HCG, Slash 2wd(raptor)

RC Qualifier
    From what I have seen, the LCG is better handling on flatish surfaces etc., but if you do any sort of decent jumping and off road bashing the standard chassis handles that better.
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

RC poster
    I've run both, recently put in a LCG chassis, I think the LCG is better all round, I also think the rear bulkhead was exposed to damage in the standard chassis but better protected in the LCG chassis. My buddy has the regular chassis on his and when we go to the same indoor track and do the same jumps, same track I think mine handles much better - aside from the chassis our trucks are the same.

That's my two cents!

Paul B
    Play hard or go home...

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the opinions guys, keep them coming!

I would say my terrain at the spots I bash are fine for the LCG and I imagine it handles loads better, but at the same time I assume the standard chassis handles well enough. I don't have any experience with either though so it's just a guess. I do know Ive put millions of RC miles on stampedes that have a very high CG and you just make do. I actually find driving things that don't handle great, challenging and more fun to drive as dumb as that may sound.

I guess at this point my concerns of the 2 chassis' would be this:

LCG- concerned it the chassis would smack the ground hard on anything but the slowest jumps off my ten-eighty ramp. I'm also concerned it will make all but the very shortest and deadest grass running near impossible (or does that 2400kv not really care and just plows through it)? Also does the chassis layout accommodate the MMP 2400kv setup the same or is there less room? Have heard of some people breaking the front bulk on the LCG like there was some flaw with the design?

HCG standard chassis- concerned about constantly rolling over taking the walk of shame, and also isn't it a little worse situation on debris fouling the main driveshaft up then the LCG chassis? Are there any other HCG specific problems that are better on the LCG or is it just not as good handling? How well does it jump, because I keep reading the LCG flys better? Or on a small ramp like mine is it really not a big deal?
    Last edited by mepster; 06-05-2013 at 06:20 PM.

RC Champion
    The LCG chassis shouldn't hit if you put in a higher wt shock oil, and it handles amazingly, ive only had to take the walk of shame twice with this chassis...
    Slash 4x4 LCG+(rolling)HCG, Slash 2wd(raptor)

RC poster
    I like Sean put higher weight shock oil, and with my Proline shocks I don't seem to have much of an issue with the bottom smacking, that being said, the chassis is stiffer, more robust. The only downfall is it's smaller inside, less room, and I prefer the original batter hold down, especially if you have the extended battery hold down, the HCG was better IMO.

Paul B
    Play hard or go home...

RC Qualifier
    LCG= manicured tracks flat surface yes it can bash but like they said chassis may bite it. HCG better basher period to me. the LCG was I think made for racing not bashing. owners wanted something to compete with the Team A, and Losi racers that sit low to the ground so to answer the first question LCG for track racing and street and some bashing. The HCG for bashing street or anything. motors the 2400 was made to bash. most tracks only allow 2's which is where the 3800 shines. there is a fix for every concern that you have for the HCG in the forum.LCG too, to some extent being new and all info is in the forums. hope I helped

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the info guys. I don't think I can go terribly wrong with either and I guess whichever I go with, I could always convert it to the other.

Once I got figuring the math of the whole project I quickly realized I was looking at some serious coin to really trick one of these out and I might have to do this a little differently than first thought. I think I'm going to pick up a MMP 3800kv combo because it will allow me to use the stock axles, and I won't have to buy a pair of 3s batteries. I have 2 new SPC 5400 50C 2s packs I can use and also I won't have to upgrade the axles or battery chargers, that's a savings of like $350. On top of that, I will already have the MMP so 6 months from now I can upgrade the axles and my charger and just pick up the 2400kv funny car motor from eBay. In other words, I may have to do this project in phases as money allows. But yeah, as soon as I go to the 2400kv I need $100 worth of axles, $100-150 for a pair of 3s batts and Id have to upgrade my charger as well.

I mean, the stock axles will be fine with the MMP 3800kv on 2s, correct?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by blknryzn View Post
    LCG= manicured tracks flat surface yes it can bash but like they said chassis may bite it. HCG better basher period to me. the LCG was I think made for racing not bashing. owners wanted something to compete with the Team A, and Losi racers that sit low to the ground so to answer the first question LCG for track racing and street and some bashing. The HCG for bashing street or anything. motors the 2400 was made to bash. most tracks only allow 2's which is where the 3800 shines. there is a fix for every concern that you have for the HCG in the forum.LCG too, to some extent being new and all info is in the forums. hope I helped
    I need a new motor ESC combo and currently only have 2s batts but would like to get some 3s. Is this motor (3800) cool with 3s?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjoblue View Post
    I need a new motor ESC combo and currently only have 2s batts but would like to get some 3s. Is this motor (3800) cool with 3s?
    yes but not all the time was made for 2's but people have run it on 3's geared properly