RC Competitor

Brand new Slash 4X4 overheating

Arrived yesterday and popped in a known good and charged 2s 7600mAh LiPo, after about five runs up and down a car park it slowed down for a moment then stopped. If i use the throttle the motor just 'clicks'. I don't know the temperature but the motor is **** hot. Fair play to wheelspin models, i called them and they said to return the motor and esc for a check.

Later I checked again and it seemed to work fine (just throttling up, didn't run it). I also set the ESC to LiPo mode and figured maybe its not just the LVC but other settings i should have checked first. I put it down to user error.

Today i ran it with another identical but different LiPo on a lose surface and it was awesome for about 15 minutes then it did the same, this time i noticed a red flashing light i would describe as slow. This is the LVC right? Well the battery is still good and upon connecting (a third) fully charged LiPo it still wont spin the wheels and just 'clicks' (cogging type click but just the one).

I have ordered the ESC fan and a motor heat sink anyway (not arrived yet) but surely on stock gearing and a 2s there shouldn't be overheating problems!? Before i go sending it back is there anything im missing??

I'm used to LiPo's and ESC's from planes and quads but this is only my second car, never had anything like this with the summit (it is brushed though) but i still might be missing something obvious.

Any help appreciated.

Wayne

RC poster
    Hi Wayne, yes the slow flashing red light is the lvc. I think your issue might be a faulty esc. When it goes into lvc have you tried turning off the esc and then turning it back on without changing batteries? My vxl-3s needs to be turned off after 1 minute of running a 3s, then when turned on it runs like it should for the rest of the pack. Obviously my esc has a fault and I should send it in for warranty. I got so sick of the VXL system getting too hot on the motor, and the esc issues that I changed it for a bigger motor 2650kv. I do believe had I known about these issues I might have gone with a different brand sct.

RC Competitor
    thanks, even after turning it off and on again (with or without unplugging the battery) it still wont run until it has cooled down.

RC Competitor
    It has cooled down after todays run, just plugged in a battery and it still won't run. The drivetrain is free until throttle is applied then it 'locks'. After 20 seconds of being plugged in and turned on the motor is too hot to touch and the ESC and wires to the motor are hot,

I think i'll be stripping them out and sending them back, there is something very wrong....

RC Champion
    Sounds like a faulty system from the factory.
    With stock gearing and a 2s 5a battery, we were able to bash and drag race till the batteries died without overheating.
    With 3s, motor was getting quite hot before the pack ran down.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Competitor
    In the post.

I lied too, it was modelsprot.co.uk NOT wheelspin. Doh! (and i printed this thread and included it in the return, hope i don't offend them)

RC Racer
    I had the exact same problem so I sent my esc in and 3 weeks later I am still waiting for a replacement. If you get a new one I would recommend just buying one online cause traxxas takes quite a while to send it back.

You break you buy

RC Racer
    Wait!!! I just got my brand new esc and plugged it in but it did the same thing! I plugged in a different battery and I found out I didn't even need a new esc. I just had a pair of poorly soldered battery leads. Try a different battery and see if that works. It may save you lots of money. Hope this helps.

You break you buy

RC Competitor
    Tried three batteries that are all reliable on my summit.
    Summit LT - Summit FPV - Slash 4x4 Scale Raptor

RC Qualifier
    ok so you said that your esc and wires are hot I had same problem.
    dose it look like this? here is my video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAGVrQaR0_M
    and here is what I figured out was wrong http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6USzQjGox4I
    it was the cables that were used out.

Modelsport will look after you dude they are the one of the best in the uk but it sounds like the esc is not a happy bunny and also check bearings aswell because binding will make the motor and esc overheat........peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rustler1999929 View Post
    ok so you said that your esc and wires are hot I had same problem.
    dose it look like this? here is my video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAGVrQaR0_M
    and here is what I figured out was wrong http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6USzQjGox4I
    it was the cables that were used out.
    i checked the bullets and they SEEMED a good connection, while having a good inspection it looks like the bullets are crimped on (you can see the tooling shape through the heat shrink), this surprised me as i would assume with the current involved a solder joint would have been better. Matbe there was a bad wire or connection there as my symptoms do look just like your vid.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Modelsport will look after you dude they are the one of the best in the uk but it sounds like the esc is not a happy bunny and also check bearings aswell because binding will make the motor and esc overheat........peace
    good to hear. I do use other suppliers but go to them for the cars themselves as ive herd they are good. Shame they dont have the depth of parts that wheelspin do or id use them exclusively.

I use both wheelspin and modelsport because they have between them all the parts I need and there customer service is awesome ....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!