RC poster

Question First crash w/ LiPo's, trying to get ideas on how to secure batteries better

First time boat owner here, so I'm learning the hard way... trial and error.. and money. Please don't be too rough on me, haha....

Anyhow, I bought a Spartan a few months back w/ the NiMh batteries in it. Took it out, ran WOT no issue really breaking anything while jumping waves, going under water, all that... Actually had some very excellent runs, windy/wavy as heck, the boat just glided awesomely on top of it all skipping along. Then came the LiPo's... Wow, I was amazed the difference between the two first off.
    I've only had nitro cars/trucks(and LiPo planes) prior to this, and haven't really had a chance to see NiMh in action then a LiPo on the same vehicle... just the performance variance.

So, here I am yesterday running way too fast in .. well, not the best conditions... wasn't super harsh but was kinda choppy. Next thing ya know, a final last WOT burst before heading back to the dock(I run it off of a dock where my real boat is docked at), I hit a wave and the boat went airborn flew sideways, hatch goes flying off upon impact, crashes hard sideways.... and then it's looking like a buoy out there straight up and down... Oops($$ going through my head). The prior flips/rolls/submarine action on NiMh, I was running on the south side of the dock, wind blowing North, so it was a matter of minutes before it was back on the dock within reachable range. This time, the wind was kinda.. well, idle... wake was just coming in off the lake from passing boats. As I was about to dive in to retrieve it a guy on a canoe luckily paddled over and picked it up.. haha...
    So that all being said... the force the impact was so strong, that one battery came loose in the process, slid out and blew the hatch open, as well as actually breaking the top part of the rear hull, where the clip goes into.... Basically demolished the rear of the hull. And, the LiPo sunk... brand new, first charge!

So the questions.... First off, how long can the batteries remain submerged before they're toast? I went to the dive shop next door to see if they were open but they weren't. The area is about 60' deep where it sunk.. I hate the feeling that I've polluted the lake that I love so much, so I was going to pay them to go down and locate/remove it. A friend of mine was saying the battery is prob shot being down that long too, which I wasn't too sure of... just curious if it would have been an explosion hazard or... ?

Second question, what's the best way to secure the batteries better? I've noticed even minor wake and such, the batteries get real loose in the stock velcro ties. I need to find a way to secure them better and probably add a tie to the hull incase a catastrophe happens again, so at least I can retrieve the battery with the hull and not have it sink 60' down.

I did see posts mentioning taping up the hatch, which I will definitely be doing from now on... not sure if that would have helped the lipo blowing it out or not, but still a good measure for water leaking and such.

I do have a new hull coming though, and a replacement lipo, so hopefully I can get a few mods done this week and then show the lake who's the boss this upcoming weekend... pending the wake status.

Thanks for any input or ideas!
    -dave

To tell you the truth...if you have them secured with double velco staps, I don't think you can get better than that. I use Spartan velcro straps in my Emax, cuz it works so well on my Spartan.

RC poster
    Really? Hmm.. I actually had two straps on each battery, the straps that came with the boat. I was looking to build something to keep them from moving forward/aft as well, I think that's how it came loose and shot out the back. Maybe I'm not getting the straps tight enough, they don't seem to hold very well. hmm.

So the questions.... First off, how long can the batteries remain submerged before they're toast? I went to the dive shop next door to see if they were open but they weren't. The area is about 60' deep where it sunk.. I hate the feeling that I've polluted the lake that I love so much, so I was going to pay them to go down and locate/remove it. A friend of mine was saying the battery is prob shot being down that long too, which I wasn't too sure of... just curious if it would have been an explosion hazard or... ?
    That battery most likely is bad now after sitting under water for so long. IMO, I would get it out, because I could see that polluting the lake really badly if it start to leak or corrode.
    Manager at LHS ~7 Years. I've seen some stuff lol

RC Competitor
    I cartwheeled mine this morning at 56 mph and lucky for me my straps held the batts and gps in place. I always make sure the strap buckles are centered on top of the batteries. I'm not sure why they didn't hold for you.
    Watch this....

Another thing you can try is, having your wires from your batteries to your ESC as short as possible. That way your batteries won't have the wire length to travel. Plus, your boat will run cooler...which is always a good thing. Also, make sure the black pads that are in the battery bay don't have any greese on them. I keep mine clean with Windex.

RC Qualifier
    Salt water or fresh water? I think they become benign in salt water. The instructions to dispose of them is to discharge, soak in salt water and dispose of in the regular trash.

RC Qualifier
    I probably have over a hundred high speed crashes with our two boats and the batteries always stay in place. First always tape the hatch on. If the hatch stays on the boat usually never bouys or goes straight up. To keep the batteries in place we always put the foam pipe insulation in the space where there is no battery. You will need velcro in every spot on the boat. The batteries usually slide out of the velcro and come out of the boat. If you use the foam insulation the batteries can not slide out of the Velcro. We have several pieces cut depending on where you run the batteries. On our speed runs we take the foam out and strap in the GPS on one side. Hope this helps,I hate to see anyone lose those expensive batteries.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    That battery most likely is bad now after sitting under water for so long. IMO, I would get it out, because I could see that polluting the lake really badly if it start to leak or corrode.
    Yeah I think I'll get the divers down anyhow to retrieve em just to dispose of. It's at Table Rock Lake, one of the cleanest lakes around!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarDude View Post
    Another thing you can try is, having your wires from your batteries to your ESC as short as possible. That way your batteries won't have the wire length to travel. Plus, your boat will run cooler...which is always a good thing. Also, make sure the black pads that are in the battery bay don't have any greese on them. I keep mine clean with Windex.
    Good point here! That was part of the problem on these I believe, it had enough travel room to really get some force behind it to disconnect it from the ESC, along with slipping outta the straps. Thanks!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_G View Post
    Salt water or fresh water? I think they become benign in salt water. The instructions to dispose of them is to discharge, soak in salt water and dispose of in the regular trash.
    Yeah it was fresh water, which is why I thought if I got them out quick enough, they may be OK. I'd probably try a re-charge outside though first.. ha...

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    I probably have over a hundred high speed crashes with our two boats and the batteries always stay in place. First always tape the hatch on. If the hatch stays on the boat usually never bouys or goes straight up. To keep the batteries in place we always put the foam pipe insulation in the space where there is no battery. You will need velcro in every spot on the boat. The batteries usually slide out of the velcro and come out of the boat. If you use the foam insulation the batteries can not slide out of the Velcro. We have several pieces cut depending on where you run the batteries. On our speed runs we take the foam out and strap in the GPS on one side. Hope this helps,I hate to see anyone lose those expensive batteries.
    Thanks for the hints, this is helpful stuff. Tape I read of after the fact, that's definitely going to be a must. Velcro and the insulation is an excellent idea.... Anxious to get the new hull in the mail and get working on it!
    Thanks!

RC poster
    Thanks for all the replies. The new hull should be here tomorrow, then I'm going to start the fortification process!

Step 1: Get the divers to remove the battery, just for a better piece of mind that it's not sitting down there, haha... Army Corp would prob be happy too.

Step2: Tape is a must on the hatch.

Step 3:Short wires from battery to the ESC so there's less chance of mass movement / impact when the grab.

Step3: Velcro and pipe insulation!

Thanks for all the tips. I spent a little time reading but didn't find much of these ideas. The hull should be here tomorrow, hopefully with the battery too.. then time for a few mods if I can crash and not destroy it!
    Next in line, which I'm searching for now... is a rescue boat... ha.

Thanks again everyone!
    -dave

RC Qualifier
    I have read a few references to a rescue boat in various threads, what does this consist of?

RC Competitor
    I use straps and Velcro, i ordered extra straps and 30mm wide velcro from the bay. cut the velcro hooks into square's that fit between the soft pads in the battery tray and full lenth of velcro loop down the batterys

with the straps and Velcro the batterys dont move at all

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_G View Post
    I have read a few references to a rescue boat in various threads, what does this consist of?
    Search youtube for "r/c rescue boat" and you'll see some ideas. I'm not going all hardcore like some people have, I just am gonna get a cheap boat and make it(somehow) able to push the Spartan back to the dock if I need.. I really like the tugboat idea, haha...

RC Racer
    My LHS sells a R/C duck... Its a big duck pulling a little duck... The little duck has hooks on it to retrieve boats!

RC poster
    If it was saltwater that's how you destroy them...

RC Racer
    Just a reminder, this thread is 6 years old.