RC Champion

Rear To Front Skid Plate

So, in my family we have a bit of a curb problem. In the last 8 days we've hit curbs at high speed twice, both times causing the now-all-too-familiar breakage pattern of chassis, bulkhead, and front skid plate. As I was back at the LHS picking up my usual parts list I realized that those skid plates come in pairs, front and rear. I've replaced the front skid plate three times prior from curb impact damage and never the rear skid plate so I have a nice stack of three new rear skid plates collecting dust in the garage. So I decided not to buy another pair of skid plates and see if I could trim up a rear skid plate to fit on the front instead.

I spend way too much time at work checking out the forum and I know that I am nowhere near the craftsman that most of you guys are. But, I figured I'd get the dremel out and give it a try anyway. It took about 90 minutes and 3 pints but I have a functional, albeit pretty ugly, front skid plate.

Luckily, the bulkhead will receive a third, center screw. That was good since the existing holes in the skid plate were in the wrong location to accomodate the other two screw receivers. I did try to cheat the holes over on the skid plate and use the two outside screws but I lost a lot of the strength because of the resulting oblong hole and loss of plastic along the edges.

Overall, I'd give myself a C, mostly for effort. Only time and the skatepark will tell if this skidplate will hold up as well as the intended part.

Have any of you guys tried to do something like this?

Oh, for the record, I have honestly never hit a curb. My MO is glancing blows on trees and fence posts. However my son, brother, sister, and brother-in-law are expert curb-crashers and are the parties responsible for my chassis replacement experience. I'm the resident Traxxas mechanic so, while still a newb for sure, I am approaching journeyman status in chassis and castor block replacement.

RC Champion
    I noticed a few things about this post so ill throw a couple cents on it.

Stock skids won't prevent the carnage in any capacity. Once the stock skid breaks, the chassis and servo are next to break depending on the force of the impact. Sometimes, the sevo saver gets eaten along with bulkheads and a arms. Your best bet is to use an rpm skid plate for the slash. You have the skills, tools and enginuity - a few holes need to be drilled but its a worthwhile mod that will keep the chassis and other components in one piece.

No pede driver is a master of hitting curbs, regardless of the age. Curbs on the other hand, along with mailbox posts and trees are much more agile than we give them credit for

& Next time, better make it 4

You're on your way, Journeyman. Aluminum casters are a recommended upgrade. Later

RC Champion
    Oaks, thanks for the tip about the RPM Slash skid plate. I'll check it out and see if I feel up to the challenge of making it fit the pede.

Regarding hitting curbs, you are right that curb-crashing is something that one can never truly master. And my curb avoidance to date might be that I'm just being too cautious. Being responsible for keeping three family p2des road-ready must be taking it's toll on my inner child!

RC Champion
    NP. The Slash skid is worthwhile because you add an extra mounting point somewhere in the middle of the chassis. If you look right past the section in front of the battery, but behind the servo, there's a wall there. On the side of the wall towards the servo, you'll see what almost looks like a mark square in the middle of the chassis. that's where that hole gets drilled. RPM also provides instructions on their website.

And there's nothing wrong with being the responsible one of the bunch. For every one time I went there were ten times I went , , or lol.

+1 on the RPM Slash skid

Heres a few shots from my project pede. (Have still yet to finish it.....)

My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

RC Champion
    Dave-O-bear, coming thru with the sick pics! Nice pede, I've seen cases where they were too nice to drive, but man, the stage where that build is sitting is so gorgeous lol. Solid roller.