RC Racer

Spartan motor advise

So one week ago I was running my Spartan at a pond in a park and it flipped due to the windy conditions. I had it taped up, but hadn't sealed the original hole for the water cooling line. I ran the dual water lines in a new location, because of the rudder mount that I installed. Naturally the boat started taking on water and, by the time I had my retrieval boat in the water, it was sticking straight up like a buoy. That pond is cement/rock on the bottom, and the rudder was hitting the bottom about 40ft from the edge. My retrieval boat couldn't push it, so I had to try and get it with a fishing pole. I would've gone out and grabbed it, but I'm a paraplegic in a wheelchair. It ended up taking me a little over an hour to get the boat, because I was alone. After opening it up, I drained the water and noticed that the battery connections were already starting to corrode. I brought it home and completely dried everything. I also cleaned all of my electrical connections. I let it sit for 2 days disassembled to dry the electronics. It was close to 100 each day, so it should've been dry. I tested it that night in the garage and everything seemed to work properly. The next morning I took it out and it only lasted 20 seconds. I made one pass to check the water outlets and as soon as I gave it throttle it died. I retrieved it and opened the hatch. The ESC and the receiver had no power. I brought it home and verified my batteries were good and still couldn't get the ESC to power up. I contacted Traxxas and they recommended that I send the whole power tray in. They notified me today that they're going to cover the ESC under warranty, but say that my motor is bad. They won't replace the motor, because they found a small amount of salt on the motor bearing. I find it hard to believe that there was salt anywhere, but its their word against mine. I ran it in salt the second time I drove it and it never flipped. The only salt that was in the hull was from the AMAZING stock water jacket. When I returned home I thoroughly flushed the boat. I've run it 5-6 times since, and like I said one time it ended up being submerged for over an hour. Still not sure about the salt. Apparently there is water and corrosion on the motor windings and it needs to be replaced. I thought the motor was waterproof. They won't warranty parts damaged by salt, but I still can't believe that salt damaged it. I wouldn't doubt that being under water for an hour caused water to get in the motor and caused the corrosion, but that should be covered.

They'll replace the motor for $70 plus $5 shipping (even though they have to ship my parts back anyway! ). Should I replace it with the stock motor for that price or should I consider an after market motor? If I go with an aftermarket motor, I'm assuming that the stock ESC can't handle it. What amperage is the VXL-6s? I never had a problem with the performance of the stock motor, but maybe there's a better option for me. BTW, I have the second gen Spartan with the Castle electronics.

RC Champion
    that sudks man, thats a good setup id stay with it, unless you want to drop the cash for the hydra ice esc with that sick motor but as is shes a,hand full, mi put on the same rudder as you, trim tab adjusters, the boca bearing strut, a,third pickup, alloy prop, replumbed it with the kintec hd blue lines and the new motor jacket, the 2 off the rudder tee into one into the esc and out a new port, the new pick up feeds just the mill, tester it in rough water with 4 batteries, it was friggn awrsome man, spraying water out both sides dry inside, i love it, illl get some oics up in my thread, but thanks cause it was you that sent me in the right direction on hop ups, whats your thoyghts on the 2 outside tabs are the aftetmarket one better, they look good but if there is no benifit ill leave them, i couldnt tell if they were longer,,, sorry about your mill but thanks for the help.

Al
    15 IS Enough, Time to thin down the fleet some.

RC Champion
    Sorry about the motor.... You seem to have been having good results with the stock motor and since they are providing you with a new ESC I'd say for $75 get the motor. Just my opinion!!!
    I still run stock ESC and motor in two of my Spartans with almost no issues anymore as long as I stay away from the larger props.

There are some very good aftermarket motors for FE boats, you just have to make sure they run on 6s.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Racer
    Thanks guys! After cooling down for a couple hours, I think I'm going to stick with the stock motor. I believe the motor got water inside from being under fresh water for an hour. Maybe next time I should pull the motor apart to fully dry. Live and learn! I hate that quote when it applies to me though! I'm going to talk to the repair department on Monday, so we'll see what happens. Maybe I can butter them up with my sweet charm! I'll keep you posted.

Hey Al, I'm glad you enjoy the upgrades. I'm not sure what trim tabs you have, but I have the ones from Changemaker. They look cool and work good for me once I got them dialed in. I only have one set in the stock location, so I'm not sure about the benefits of adding a second set. I think getting the one set dialed in is key and there isn't much benefit to a second, but maybe someone else can help you with that. My trim tabs and 5" rudder took all the chine walk out of my boat. After sharpening the rudder I had zero torque roll as well. Just gotta get the electronics back in her!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnes99 View Post
    I hate that quote when it applies to me though! I'm going to talk to the repair department on Monday, so we'll see what happens. Maybe I can butter them up with my sweet charm! I'll keep you posted.

I do know how you feel about applying to you, as after they had replaced my motor and ESC twice they said that they would not do it again because I was running too large a prop (m445).

In your case, the salt water should not be a issue IMO. Doesn't say "for fresh water use only" does it? I do believe it says "not recommended for salt water". But Traxxas is good about warranty items and may go your way with "your sweet charm".
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Champion
    I took my stock motor apart and was SUPRISED on how much water had been inside as indicated by all the rust, definetly on the maintenance list now
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

RC Racer
    Well Traxxas came through for me. They really do have great customer service. The motor was very rusty inside and it's only a month old. Thankfully this happened, so I now know to open the motor for cleaning and maintenance. I would highly suggest you open your motor, if its been submerged. Hopefully this helps save someone else's motor. Here's the pics I received from Traxxas.

This is what Traxxas recommended to me.

#1 – Always lube the flex shaft after every run. Marine grease is cheap and usually comes in large amounts. The shaft is the 2nd biggest restriction in the power system, so making sure this is spinning smooth will help the system stay cooler.
    #2 – Make sure the motor bearings are always lubed with light machine oil. We use light motor oil. When the bearings are getting dry, the motor will sound different, but don’t let it get to this point often.
    #3 – Always dry the inside of the boat thoroughly after every run.
    #4 – We have salt water tips on the Traxxas website, under the Support section. Highly recommend reading them if salt water is to be ran in again.
    #5 – Highly recommend removing the motor and disassemble after each day of running. You’ll need the 2.5mm L wrench for the motor mount screws and the three screws for the front motor plate. You’ll need a good 2mm hex wrench for the coupler grub screw. Recommend purchasing a quality wrench from your local hobby shop, if available. Lastly, you’ll need a good quality 1.5mm hex wrench for the rear motor plate. The motor has two brass shims, one on each side of the rotor. Do not lose these. You can leave the rotor in the motor. Dry the bearings, clean any water from the motor, lube the bearings from the inside with oil and reassemble. Do not over-tighten the 1.5mm, 2mm, or 2.5mm screws as they are easily stripped if forced. The bearings should be smooth and should not make any noise.
    #6 – The flex tubing should be checked regularly for water flow through the system. If there is any restriction or object blocking the tubing the system will overheat.
    Last edited by Carnes99; 07-30-2013 at 11:32 AM.

RC Champion
    Well I'm happy for you.... Any idea of when you will be up and running again?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Racer
    They said that my parts will be shipped out this week, but they haven't shipped as of today(Wednesday). Hopefully soon though.