RC Qualifier

Painting questions

I might paint my first body soon, which will be a boss 302 body. The main body color will be white, with the hood, roof, and bottom 1/4 inch being red. So my question is, if I paint white first, then back the white with silver, then paint the details red, would that be okay? I know you should go from darker to lighter but there is more to be taped if i do the darker color first. Any help for a newbie painter is appreciated
    2wd Slash VXL
    3906 MMM

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    The silver backing might change the shade of the white. If you do it the way you want to, just make sure you do the red and silver in verrrrry light coats so it doesn't bleed through. Give it a go if you want, but I'd paint the red first. Yeah it stinks to have to tape all that off, but that's the way to KNOW the body will turn out alright. Look into liquid masking; it's a lot easier, in my opinion, than using a bunch of tape.

FLM BL E-MAXX ~ BL E-4TEC Drifter ~ Pro-Trac Slash ~ SCX-10 ~ Wraith ~Custom 6WD Crawler~ 3 Losi micro scalers
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Qualifier
    I usually do the details first and the rest also....and like Maxx said light thin coats don't rush it several coats take longer but turn out a lot better then hurrying it, just about anyone who starts painting has made that mistake lol...and also the liquid mask is easier then tape but tape works just make sure it is stuck down very well in the corners and edges...also make sure you wash the body and dry it first and trim it out before you paint so you dont scuff the paint with scissors
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Qualifier
    So if people always back, say yellow with white because they are painting green next, can I just do like 3 more coats of white on top of my 3 or 4 main coats? If white backing stops yellow from turning darker, shouldn't it stop the white from getting darker?
    2wd Slash VXL
    3906 MMM

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    Maybe, but I have made that mistake before, grabbing some orange and spraying. Then I realized I meant to do a dark blue first. The blue made the orange turn out darker than I wanted it to be. We all learn from mistakes....sometimes you just roll the dice. Some you win, some you lose....The worst stuff is the semi-clear window tint. It's so thin, it seems to bleed through no matter what you do.

FLM BL E-MAXX ~ BL E-4TEC Drifter ~ Pro-Trac Slash ~ SCX-10 ~ Wraith ~Custom 6WD Crawler~ 3 Losi micro scalers
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Qualifier
    Would a coat of primer help keep the red from tinting the white?

I've never painted a body, but this is the thought that came to my mind.
    Mini Revo VXL 7107
    E-Maxx 3903 - He Lives!

RC Qualifier
    might back the white with silver....not sure never painted a white body before but silver is what I used on a translucent pink and purple bug body painted the purple first covered it with silver then went with the pink and coated it (it was for my little girl lol before you ask)
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Qualifier
    You could try to use some backing white spray paint. It is thicker than regular paint so the red may not show through. I used it on this body but I did the white last. After each color, I backed with the white backing paint.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by jcjhl69; 06-27-2013 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Drive it, Break it, Upgrade it

RC Qualifier
    Great help guys, I will just have to paint the little bit of red first before I do the main color- white. I think.
    2wd Slash VXL
    3906 MMM