RC poster

Higher top speed desired with no engine temp concerns

Hi everyone.

Still new to RC so any input would be appreciated.

Just purchased a Rustler VXL. All stock except for the ESC fan, Bastens Engine Heat Sink, RPM front bumper, rear bumper and Traxxas Wheelie Bar.

The car came with a 2c 3300maH LiPo battery. I'm pleased with the performance but would love to see the thing go faster. Although I tend to worry about breaking things or "overworking" things. I've read these trucks can get up to 70+mph with a different battery and gearing. This sounds awesome although I have also heard it's not practical and the user has to be careful not to overheat anything.

I'm not too abusive to my rustler. Mostly top speed runs on smooth pavement and occasionally in medium height grass running around a soccer field in my neighborhood park. Maybe a small jump off a curb here and there. I tend to use up the entire battery each time I take it out and notice the motor is hot to the touch. Someone said if you can't keep your fingers on the motor for 3-5 seconds, you are over working your motor. But how can this be? Stock battery, stock gearing...fairly easy driving habits. Makes me think there really is not much room for experimenting with gearing etc.

Any ideas on what I could do to increase top speed but not have to worry about temperatures?

I've read the Traxxas 2c 5800maH battery has some kick above the 3300maH even with the stock gears. Will this be enough to increase my top speed but be okay on the motor?

I don't really want to be changing gears back and forth but want the best of both worlds.

Any help would be...helpful

Thanks,

Jeff

RC Enthusiast
    im about 7 months into my rustler and on the 3rd motor. if you want to go fast get anaconda tires, 31/76 gearing, 3s lipo (i like venom batterys so far) I use 6400 20c . With this set up, only run back and forth a couple times then feel motor, if its hot just let it sit. To keep the motor from overheating use 16 tooth pinion and 83 tooth spur. Expensive but what isnt

Your motor can safely reach temperatures which bring the blisters on your fingers. An IR temp gun is a very handy tool to keep the right eye on your motor temperature.
    Nobody gets his stock Rustler up to 70mph without the risk of serious heat issues. It's all a matter of using the right gearing and how you drive it.
    Grass is the best surface to push your ESC/motor to the limits because there is always resistance.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Qualifier
    If you want to run 70mph gears on any terrain while staying hard on the throttle without worrying about engine temps, look at a Jato. It looks and drives like a Rustler, it's heavier but you can't tell it to drive it. With out changing anything, except maybe tires you can go well over 60mph using the same gears as off road and not have to worry about letting it cool off, all day. The gears that make my Rustler perform the best makes the motor overheat the fastest. This is the very reason all of my electric trucks still look brand new, while all of my nitro trucks look like they've been in a tornado.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ball View Post
    If you want to run 70mph gears on any terrain while staying hard on the throttle without worrying about engine temps, look at a Jato. It looks and drives like a Rustler, it's heavier but you can't tell it to drive it. With out changing anything, except maybe tires you can go well over 60mph using the same gears as off road and not have to worry about letting it cool off, all day. The gears that make my Rustler perform the best makes the motor overheat the fastest. This is the very reason all of my electric trucks still look brand new, while all of my nitro trucks look like they've been in a tornado.
    He is new to RC and just got his Rustler, telling him to go buy a Jato really is not being very helpful especially when there is so much room to get more speed out of the Rustler.

Like mentioned get yourself a temp gun so you can accurately monitor temps. You can then play with gearing to find the desired performance and be sure you are keeping temps in the safe zone. A battery upgrade may be in order, either jump to a 3s for insane speeds or even a bigger better 2s might provide the performance boost you are looking for.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

LOL, it is sorta like saying, "If you don't like waterskiing, try skydiving."
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    I am not shooting for a top speed but I am hunting for the right gearing as well. As others have said you should not be trying to achieve 70 mph speed goals or doing any serious gearing without a temp gun. Next spend a few dollars on larger gears and start testing.
    I am trying to see how much gear my truck will pull but not have to worry about overheating. I run in the grass and the street and when I geared up I ran it as hard as I could and checked temps after 15 minutes then every five minutes after that. I tended to spend more time in the grass to really push the limits.

I actually found I can run higher gearing than many were recommending by doing my own testing.

I am no expert but I can't imagine you are going to find a set up that will run 70 mph on the street and run in the grass without temp issues.

RC Qualifier
    From my experience, it is almost impossible for me to run my truck (unless I use it really gently) and then be able to keep a finger on the motor for more than a second. People (my lhs) have told me that if you can't keep your finger on it for more than 3-5 seconds than its running too hot, but I have never had any motor problems. I always keep a close eye on the heat though, never let it get so hot that you can feel the heat when you move your finger near it. That's when I give it a little rest. I have also never purchased a temp gun, so I wouldn't know how hot my motors get but just keep a close eye on the heat especially in grass, I usually never run in grass because its deadly!
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

RC Qualifier
    Can you tell the difference between a safe temp of 180 and a not safe temp of 200 with your finger? Why would you risk $150 in electronics and blisters?

You can get a decent IR temp gun for $25.

RC Champion
    Yeah that 3-5 second thing on the motor is wrong. Just get a basic temp gun, and you'll quickly get a feel for how hard you can push the motor. The velineon system should be able to do 2S lipo with stock gearing all day.