Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    Oooooooo......those knuckles....may have to get me some of those....looking good as ever top man viperz

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by simon32man View Post
    Oooooooo......those knuckles....may have to get me some of those....looking good as ever top man viperz
    Awesome, Thanks Simon! I think the tires are discontinued, but you can find them on ebay. They have a nice pattern, not overly knob aggressive like a Badlands, but looks to be a good multi surface tread.

http://prolineracing.com/race/knuckl...8-buggy-tires/

They are still on the Proline website so I don't think they are discontinued. They are out of stock but it's too bad they don't make them for short course wheels.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    http://prolineracing.com/race/knuckl...8-buggy-tires/

They are still on the Proline website so I don't think they are discontinued. They are out of stock but it's too bad they don't make them for short course wheels.
    Right I seen them on Pro-Line's site, but assumed because they were listed under Legacy, they were no longer made I like some of the other stuff under Legacy so if it's all still being made that would be cool.

RC Champion
    It's funny what a person ends up getting when the hobby Store doesn't have what you originally went out to get....

I needed some 4mm motor to ESC connectors, but they were out, so I picked up some pinion gears and for some strange reason a Neu-Castle 1415 2400kv motor... Mac said I should get one of these, and I chuckled saying I see lots of Slash runners (on the forum here) are running that set up. He gave me a screaming deal on it so how could I refuse??

He did not have the matching Mamba Max ESC, so this was not a big deal as I really want to wait for the Fully water proof one to come out... Mac said Castle is coming out a Full water proof one soon. Not being able to hose off the Slash after my play time would be a deal breaker to me. I thought I have a Toro 120 amp ESC that I can use if I really want to try out the Ne-Castle 2400kv. I'm pulling it out of my HPI Sprint, and replacing it with a Sidewinder 3.

Mac: "you need one of these..." It was an easy arm twist

Looks good!

The Toro Pro 120 which may be used for the short term, we'll see....

The 1415 beside the Sidewinder SV3 and 4700kv going to the HPI Sprint
    Last edited by ViperZ; 08-10-2013 at 01:12 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    Awesome, Thanks Simon! I think the tires are discontinued, but you can find them on ebay. They have a nice pattern, not overly knob aggressive like a Badlands, but looks to be a good multi surface tread.
    Just found and ordered them of eBay....as I could only get them from the states will have to wait about 2-4 weeks delivery....but hey ho....got a great deal on them

RC Champion
    Just found and ordered them of eBay....as I could only get them from the states will have to wait about 2-4 weeks delivery....but hey ho....got a great deal on them
    Excellent! From Trevor's Toybox? That's where I ordered mine from.. The was so good, I had already ordered a second set

So I was thinking, the Mamba Monster ESC is water proof, Maybe I should go with one of those?

It's funny what a person ends up getting when the hobby Store doesn't have what you originally went out to get....

I needed some 4mm motor to ESC connectors, but they were out, so I picked up some pinion gears and for some strange reason a Neu-Castle 1415 2400kv motor... Mac said I should get one of these, and I chuckled saying I see lots of Slash runners (on the forum here) are running that set up. He gave me a screaming deal on it so how could I refuse??

He did not have the matching Mamba Max ESC, so this was not a big deal as I really want to wait for the Fully water proof one to come out... Mac said Castle is coming out a Full water proof one soon. Not being able to hose off the Slash after my play time would be a deal breaker to me. I thought I have a Toro 120 amp ESC that I can use if I really want to try out the Ne-Castle 2400kv. I'm pulling it out of my HPI Sprint, and replacing it with a Sidewinder 3.

Mac: "you need one of these..." It was an easy arm twist

Looks good!

The Toro Pro 120 which may be used for the short term, we'll see....

The 1415 beside the Sidewinder SV3 and 4700kv going to the HPI Sprint
    You are going to love the 2400 motor! I have it in both of my my trucks! So much power and it runs cool when geared for high speeds. I keep an Integy heatsink with a single fan on my motors for cheap insurance. Congratulations on your new motor!

RC Qualifier
    Excellent! From Trevor's Toybox? That's where I ordered mine from.. The was so good, I had already ordered a second set

So I was thinking, the Mamba Monster ESC is water proof, Maybe I should go with one of those?

Sure did.....they were sooooo cheap from him....I have the MM2 which is awesome for running in the wet grass from the morning dew.....and big puddles not a fear in the world....just plough through without a care ....Lol

RC Champion
    You are going to love the 2400 motor! I have it in both of my my trucks! So much power and it runs cool when geared for high speeds. I keep an Integy heatsink with a single fan on my motors for cheap insurance. Congratulations on your new motor!
    Thanks El Sob! I'm not sure if I'm going to put it in this truck or build another one from a roller and parts, but it's just adding to the "disease", as you say. I have the CC fan for this motor as well. I may just get the Mamba Max Monster ESC.

Sure did.....they were sooooo cheap from him....I have the MM2 which is awesome for running in the wet grass from the morning dew.....and big puddles not a fear in the world....just plough through without a care ....Lol
    Excellent as always Simon! Looking forward to your thoughts on the Knuckles... I just ran mine and I have to say they felt pretty controlled and grippy in our typical gravel back alleys designed for car travel.

I used the speed gun on it but forgot to take a photo of the read out: 52 kph max (33 mph) for a stock Slash... A bit shy of the +100 kph on the box. Next up will be the 3s packs.

Here it is ready for the trial run with the 1/8 Pro-Line Knuckles

Taking off

Coming at you at speed

Cruising along

Testing the braking power of the Knuckles

I think I need to dial in more rear spring pressure to reduce the rear end squat during acceleration

More Braking tests

Looking real like with the gravel flying

Then my driver ran it into a recycle bin, head on and this was the result LOL! Picked up the new part and will start to replace it.

RC Qualifier
    Looking REAL good!!

RC Champion
    I'm still drooling over your truck, I would get the VG racing chassis brace so the bulkhead doesn't break again.
    Slash 4x4 LCG+(rolling)HCG, Slash 2wd(raptor)

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Cart View Post
    Looking REAL good!!
    Thanks Clint! We are planning on running sometime tomorrow afternoon. Would you be able to join up? Kris will have his Summit with Mamba Monster 2 set-up out there. I hear it really fast and powerful!

Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    I'm still drooling over your truck, I would get the VG racing chassis brace so the bulkhead doesn't break again.
    Thanks! Not a bad plan but I'm sure way we (I) use this it just transfer the energy somewhere else so something else will fail or break That's just the nature of this hobby...

Fixed!

RC Champion
    It would probably break a shock tower or an a-arm, which are way more time efficient to change.

RC Champion
    It would probably break a shock tower or an a-arm, which are way more time efficient to change.
    If I keep breaking these I may look into it....

Something is always going to break, regardless of how bullet proof we try to make it... However I hear what you are saying. No matter, it gave me a good reason to clean and lubricate the steering and servo arm bearings

Flying airplanes & helicopters, I'll take it... Crashes always breaks something there
    Last edited by ViperZ; 08-11-2013 at 02:11 AM.

RC Racer
    Everything that u have been doing looks great ViperZ and as always the pics look amazing

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BEvans454 View Post
    Everything that u have been doing looks great ViperZ and as always the pics look amazing
    Thanks man! I really enjoy taking pictures of these RC's!

Hooked up a 4000 mah 3s Lipo today... Holy man this thing is fast over a 2s pack! Stock setup hit 61kph (38mph) in limited space and hard dirt track. The motor was very hot after, I hope that fan gets here soon...

I would like to run it with the stock system on the 3s for a bit before I install the 1415 Neu-Castle. I'm not sure I would want this truck very much faster for dirt use. If it was a paved road specific set-up then sure, more speed!! As it was, set up for off road, It had way more power than a person needs. Cyclones are no longer possible as it just flips itself over

Thanks man! I really enjoy taking pictures of these RC's!

Hooked up a 4000 mah 3s Lipo today... Holy man this thing is fast over a 2s pack! Stock setup hit 61kph (38mph) in limited space and hard dirt track. The motor was very hot after, I hope that fan gets here soon...

I would like to run it with the stock system on the 3s for a bit before I install the 1415 Neu-Castle. I'm not sure I would want this truck very much faster for dirt use. If it was a paved road specific set-up then sure, more speed!! As it was, set up for off road, It had way more power than a person needs. Cyclones are no longer possible as it just flips itself over
    The 2400 has a lower kv so you will have to gear it up to get the same speed as the stock motor system. The flip side of that is you won't have anywhere near the problems with it running hot. I still suggest getting a Integy heatsink with a single fan for either motor you will run. It os plenty fun at high speeds on the dirt. Just have to get used to it.

RC Champion
    The 2400 has a lower kv so you will have to gear it up to get the same speed as the stock motor system. The flip side of that is you won't have anywhere near the problems with it running hot. I still suggest getting a Integy heatsink with a single fan for either motor you will run. It os plenty fun at high speeds on the dirt. Just have to get used to it.
    What is the stock gearing of the Ultimate out of box? I was planning on running the 19/54 as you are El Sob, just to start.

I have a Integy Single Fan HS coming for the stock motor and a ESC fan. The 1415 Neu-Castle has a fan as well. I believe you on the 1415 running cooler is probably one of the biggest benefits.

For sure I have to get use to the throttle as it's just too easy to gun it and be out of control... By mid pack I was able to control my drifts with out spinning out due to over powering because I was mashing the throttle, so you are right.

As I was doing my post run inspection and cleaning, I noticed my main shaft was a but bent. I happened to have a spare and replaced it. I did so by removing the rear end. This is the first time I had the rear end off. Its a good thing as the main motor bearing had in need of cleaning and has some melted plastic caked to the bearing guard. A little scraping and a blast of WD-40 had here working cleanly again. I can see a Kings Head motor mount or other in my future.

Slightly bent main shaft

Main bearing in need of cleaning

RC Qualifier
    Lose those. Get the Tekno Big Bone shaft. Incredible!

What is the stock gearing of the Ultimate out of box? I was planning on running the 19/54 as you are El Sob, just to start.

I have a Integy Single Fan HS coming for the stock motor and a ESC fan. The 1415 Neu-Castle has a fan as well. I believe you on the 1415 running cooler is probably one of the biggest benefits.

For sure I have to get use to the throttle as it's just too easy to gun it and be out of control... By mid pack I was able to control my drifts with out spinning out due to over powering because I was mashing the throttle, so you are right.

As I was doing my post run inspection and cleaning, I noticed my main shaft was a but bent. I happened to have a spare and replaced it. I did so by removing the rear end. This is the first time I had the rear end off. Its a good thing as the main motor bearing had in need of cleaning and has some melted plastic caked to the bearing guard. A little scraping and a blast of WD-40 had here working cleanly again. I can see a Kings Head motor mount or other in my future.

Slightly bent main shaft

Main bearing in need of cleaning
    Stock gearing is 13/54. The best I ever did with that gearing and a stock motor was 47mph! This was off season at the Water World USA in Concord off Pleasant Hill blvd.if you have some melted parts on your motor mount, that is the time to start looking into a Kings Headz motor mount. That will save you a lot of headaches in the long run.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjoblue View Post
    Lose those. Get the Tekno Big Bone shaft. Incredible!
    Yeah, I'll lose it the next time I have to replace it. I may order one up

Stock gearing is 13/54. The best I ever did with that gearing and a stock motor was 47mph! This was off season at the Water World USA in Concord off Pleasant Hill blvd.if you have some melted parts on your motor mount, that is the time to start looking into a Kings Headz motor mount. That will save you a lot of headaches in the long run.
    Hmmm, I may need to put on the road tires and take it for a speed run on the 13/54 just to see with the speed gun...

I have a motor mount on the way

My Integy single motor fan arrived today so I'll mount that up.

Yeah, I'll lose it the next time I have to replace it. I may order one up

Hmmm, I may need to put on the road tires and take it for a speed run on the 13/54 just to see with the speed gun...

I have a motor mount on the way

My Integy single motor fan arrived today so I'll mount that up.
    I forgot the best part of that story! I was clocked by the Concord police department! They were having a motorcycle officer training and were using the radar for exit speed on the bikes. They saw me, liked the speed of it and hit it with the radar a few times. 46mph consistently

RC Champion
    ^^Haha nice!

I would go for 1/8th scale onroad tires since you already have 17mm hubs.

RC Champion
    I forgot the best part of that story! I was clocked by the Concord police department! They were having a motorcycle officer training and were using the radar for exit speed on the bikes. They saw me, liked the speed of it and hit it with the radar a few times. 46mph consistently
    Excellent! Was that with on road tires or knobbies? What body, and did you lower the ride height to minimal?

I would go for 1/8th scale onroad tires since you already have 17mm hubs.
    Yeah I'll have to try both the 12mm Street Fighters and the 17mm Road Rages...

Installed my Integy fan. It's pretty silent, hopefully it helps somewhat...

RC Champion
    I'll have to try both the 12mm Street Fighters and the 17mm Road Rages...
    How did I forget you had those??? Are the Road Rages taped or not?

RC Champion
    How did I forget you had those??? Are the Road Rages taped or not?
    LOL really When you say "taped" do you mean glued? No they aren't glued yet as I only had one set of buggy wheels so I glued on the Knuckles. I have the wheels coming below that I plan to glue the Road Rages on, they are a black chrome which should look good with street tires.

RC Champion
    No I mean taping the inside to prevent ballooning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBHBi7QgPAs

This is my mountain biking buddy explaining it.

RC Champion
    No I mean taping the inside to prevent ballooning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBHBi7QgPAs

This is my mountain biking buddy explaining it.
    Hmm, Thanks, not a bad idea, but execution looks a bit ghetto (sorry).... I suppose if it works. I think there would be some trade offs such as weight, balance, road grip.... But then I don't know everything, I'm new here

I think I would rather use contact cement on the rubber to foam to solve this. Less weight, and more consistent. If you look at those pictures above of my Slash with the 17mm rims and tires running, there is some ballooning, but not as much as standard 12mm rims and tires.

Still you have made me think about this for the speed tires.
    Last edited by ViperZ; 08-15-2013 at 12:31 AM.

RC Champion
    Or you could get a pair of belted tires, but as long as you balance them after being taped it works pretty well and helps keep it more stable at high speeds, though it weighs a little more.

RC Qualifier
    LOL really When you say "taped" do you mean glued? No they aren't glued yet as I only had one set of buggy wheels so I glued on the Knuckles. I have the wheels coming below that I plan to glue the Road Rages on, they are a black chrome which should look good with street tires.

Hi viperZ....are those HB Edge rims?..

RC poster
    I wanted to know how to take moving shots. I use a cannon T3i with 200mm lens+filter and take some decent pictures. What I want to learn to do is how take moving shots when still and moving shots when tracking. In each scenario what settings would I need to use or focus on? I guess I dont fully understand how f stop settings effect the photo on moving targets. The cameras auto settings never turn out very good on moving shots, and I dont feel comfortable enough to use the manual settings, so most of the time I use the "sport" setting and get 1 nice shot out of 5-7 in flicker/speed shots.

RC Champion
    Or you could get a pair of belted tires, but as long as you balance them after being taped it works pretty well and helps keep it more stable at high speeds, though it weighs a little more.
    Yes, I suppose the duct tape would be like belting the tires. The low profile 17mm knuckles don't seem to really balloon all that much on the pictures I have of it running. But if I notice an issue on the Road RAges I will contact cement them to the foam. Thanks for making me think about it at least!

Hi viperZ....are those HB Edge rims?..
    Yes they are HB.... Are they okay? I was more liking the look of them.

Quote Originally Posted by boostem View Post
    I wanted to know how to take moving shots. I use a cannon T3i with 200mm lens+filter and take some decent pictures. What I want to learn to do is how take moving shots when still and moving shots when tracking. In each scenario what settings would I need to use or focus on? I guess I dont fully understand how f stop settings effect the photo on moving targets. The cameras auto settings never turn out very good on moving shots, and I dont feel comfortable enough to use the manual settings, so most of the time I use the "sport" setting and get 1 nice shot out of 5-7 in flicker/speed shots.
    It takes practice but it is easily done. The important thing is to pan steady and smoothly the subject. Even after you have stopped pressing the shutter button continue following as this is just good habits that gets the shots percentage up.

Set the camera to shutter priority. This allows you to pick the shutter speed and the camera will pick the aperture (f-stop). Chose a speed that will give some motion blur but not freeze the action, unless that is what you are going for. Depending on the subject in this car I use about 1/400 to 1/800. This allows blurring of the background and wheels, but still freezes some things. If you want to freeze everything try 1/1000 or higher. At the rate of these things there can still be blur and it all depends on how steady you are. I have shot moving subjects at 1/15th. But you do have to be steady and have good technique. Good luck and ask if you have anymore questions.

RC Qualifier
    Yes viper those wheels are good and will look awesome with your road rage treads

RC Champion
    Yes viper those wheels are good and will look awesome with your road rage treads
    Cool! Thanks! I'm looking forward to a rally road setup!

RC poster
    Cool, i will definitely try those settings. Thanks a lot for the tips!

I think your shots look so realistic because of how scale looking you built your Slash. I have a custom painted body and I didnt start using it until the current body was completely falling apart because its almost too nice to trash. Here is the proline paint scheme for the 1/16 scale rally

I put in a order for some Gladiators when proline had their 25% off sale last weekend. Most of the surfaces I use require a more aggressive tread so these tires should be perfect.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by boostem View Post
    Cool, i will definitely try those settings. Thanks a lot for the tips!

I think your shots look so realistic because of how scale looking you built your Slash. I have a custom painted body and I didnt start using it until the current body was completely falling apart because its almost too nice to trash. Here is the proline paint scheme for the 1/16 scale rally

I put in a order for some Gladiators when proline had their 25% off sale last weekend. Most of the surfaces I use require a more aggressive tread so these tires should be perfect.

Thanks Man! That's a great looking Rally Body, did you paint that? It inspires me to how I should paint my 1/8 Ford Focus body for when I do a rally car....

I ordered the Castle Creations Mamba Monster 2 ESC today to go with the 1415 Neu-Castle motor. Looking forward to it, but in the meantime my ESC fan arrived today for my Velinion, so I installed it. It pushes a lot more air that the Integy motor one that for sure.

RC Champion
    Are you running 2s or 3s?

RC Champion
    Are you running 2s or 3s?
    I've just started running 3's and plan to run mainly that. Once the MM2 ESC comes in, I have many 4s packs I can try just to see what it does

RC Champion
    I've just started running 3's and plan to run mainly that. Once the MM2 ESC comes in, I have many 4s packs I can try just to see what it does
    Or you could blow it up at 6s! lol kidding. Sounds like a lot of fun, maybe someday I can afford to go lipo.....

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast