RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar

So this happened...(2wd front carriers)

I was sitting there, staring at my 2.2 swampers that are mounted on some sweet aluminum beadlocks, wishing I could run them. Then I glanced over at my rusty. It has (had) the Jang wide mod done. Meaning rear arms were mounted on the front. Part of that process was reaming put the hole for the hingepin and adding a spacer (shock piston)

Hmmmm....

Well, turns out they are then pretty much a direct swap onto the telly. I had to use stub axles for the rear on the front, and right now do not have an inner bearing installed. If it's possible to get a bearing about half as wide, or a bushing, that would work. With the bearing in place, the stub axle doesn't stick through far enough. Or perhaps stock rustler rear shafts would do the job with bearings as usual?

Anyway, the main obstacle left is that, as seen in the next two pictures, you can't turn right with this one installed on the right. The design causes the stub axle to hit the caster block.

I believe I can dremel away some material and solve that issue. Then you would possibly be left with a weak part, but I believe if I can get it perfected, I could modify aluminun carriers and they would be fine. Material I think I should remove seen below.

If anyone has ever been down this road, and proven it to be ineffective, please spare me some time. 😛
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

I think this might work. Here are pictures of my clearancing. I think you could even continue using the stock plastic. Seems plenty sturdy still.

And here is the 2.2 beadlock I wanted to run mounted. Spins around with no problems, and turns both ways just fine. There are a lot more options for 2.2 tires in the crawling world, in a lot better compounds. I've been using sticky, soft, large 2.2 tires and trimming them to 2.2/3.0. But then you lose a lot of sidewall to flex and conform to obstacles. Keep in mind the screw heads on the backside of these rims make them even harder to make work than most 2.2 tires. I look forward to finally giving these tires a run. They are soft and supple, and should be fantastic!

I have rustler stub axles on order. Once I install them, I can run both bearings in the steering block as you should, and I should also have even more steering clearance.
    Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 12-08-2015 at 04:53 PM.

RC Racer
    I have the 2.2 Super Swampers pre-mounted on Pro Line wheels on my stock Telly,they work great.

I'm not sure how. The only confirmed 2.2 rim that works is the rpm wide revolver, because they are so widely offset. I would like pictures and to know exactly what wheel you are using if you say you are running 2.2 wheels with a stock truck. I can provide many pictures proving most 2.2 wheels will not work. Unless you mean 2.2/3.0.

The steering blocks and stuff will not fit inside a 2.2.

RC Racer
    I think I understand what your are saying.
    I'll specify with what the package reads.
    TSL SX Super Swamper SC 2.2/3.0 tires mounted on F-11 wheels

Yeah, that's not what I'm referring to. I'm talking about 2.2 rims, not 2.2/3.0 short course rims. There are a lit more crawling tires available for 2.2 rims, and you have a lot more sidewall bite without the larger backside of the rim.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I don't know, I am not a fan of hacking up the stock plastic C hubs to get a pair of wheels ti fit.... especially since the C hubs break regularly on the standard 2wd where they aren't half cut away....

I broke about 4 C hubs on my 2wd before I went with STRC aluminum

I just don't see them being busted on a telluride that crawls and trails at a max of maybe 20mph anyway though. And I've never personally broken one. But, I'd plan to mod an aluminum set if it proves to be a viable option for long term use.

I'll try it out and we'll see! Lol. I'll even jump it some, which is tricky with the drag brake.
    Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 12-09-2015 at 12:23 PM.

Cool idea, itll be fine aslong as you dont push it. It wont hold up to bashing but just slow trailing itll be fine unless a front wheel gets caught up on something

I think if I modified an aluminum one, though, it would be just fine.

I dunno why I thought a Rustler stub axle would work any differently 😱. I still have no inner bearing. Which seems fine.

But I found 5x11x2 mm bushings from hpi that would be ideal.

I'm gonna run it around some and see how I like it, then possibly go aluminum from there.