Thread: Picking a motor

RC Competitor

Picking a motor

So I got my new motor in today, and this thing is small. And I mean small. Its a motor from Hobbywing. My Titan 550 is like 3 times the size of this thing. When I ordered it said it would fit a 1/16 rc car but im thinking they ment the motor is actually 1/16. Im gonna be sending this back to the place I ordered it from. What would be a good brushless motor for this car? Should I just go with the Velineon 380 and VXL-3S setup? I'll post a pic right away showing the size comparison between my Titan 550 and this new Hobbywing motor.

Last edited by cooleocool; 08-15-2013 at 10:06 PM. Reason: merge

RC Competitor
    The Titan 550 is a 1 /10 scale motor that traxxas put in its 1 16 cars cuz the titan 380 kept frying so you need to get a 1 10 scale motor not a 1 16

RC Competitor
    Alright. I didnt know that. My mistake. I figured it said 1/16th scale RC cars, it would fit it.... My bad. Live and learn.

RC Qualifier
    No you dont need a 1/10 scale motor but you can use one if you want! i would prolly choose a 1/10 motor with a 380 size core so it would give your enough power have a little better heat distribution and you can use the same stock mount in my opinon!

RC Competitor
    What would be a good brushless motor? Should I just go with the Velineon 380 and VXL-3S setup?

IMO the 380 VXL motor is perfect for this platform. I like pairing it wiht a 1/10th scale ESC. My MERV has been running an old Mamba Max with the stock motor almost since it was new and it has been a very good set up.

I dont like the 1/10th scale motors because IMO they are just too big and that much weight up high like they sit in this platform really hurts the handling of the truck.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    Finding this out, opens my options up. I was actually almost tempting to order the 1/10 Mamba Max Pro ESC w/5700kV 4-Pole lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Shisimona View Post
    Finding this out, opens my options up. I was actually almost tempting to order the 1/10 Mamba Max Pro ESC w/5700kV 4-Pole lol.
    That ESC is really good probably over kill for a MERV. A Sidewinder would be good fit.

Problem with the 4 pole big blocks is like I said weight up high hurting handling and the 4 pole motors are amp hogs which means finding a battery to feed them can be an issue given the limited size of the battery bay. Not saying it cant be done it really depends on what you want performance wise and ow much $ you want to spend.

For me I like handling as much as speed, the little 380 VXL motor gives me 35-40 mph on 2s all day long and the truck handles good, just what I want out of it.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    How about the Sidewinder 3 with NC1406-5700kV motor or even the 4600kV motor? They have this in stock. But they dont have the VXL 380 motor in stock where I wanna order from.

Those motors will work, but expect to have to do quite a bit of tuning to get some of the handling back.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    Alright. Thats the fun of this. I like to tinker with things. So if I get this Castle Creation setup, will I need a new new motor mount?

If you pulled a Titan 550 out and are putting a 550 Castle back in, you have all the proper mounting.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    Alright. Sweet. Thanks.

RC Competitor
    Okay, I did some looking around and whatnot and found at that the 5700kV is more towards pavement, like driving up and down the street, while the 4600kV is more for dirt and that. Im about 65% Pavement and 35% Dirt, should I go with the 5700kV? My gearing is gonna be staying around 23/50 and will be using a LiPo 2S 25C from Gens ACE. If I can run 2 2S LiPo's on this ESC, I will running it in parallel.

RC Qualifier
    you can use those gens or use what almost everyone will recommend is the spc 50c 2500 mah 2s that fit perfect and i would lean more towards the 4600 and your gears might wanna go down on the pinion to like 16 and up on spur to like 55 or you can stay like that! and yes the esc can take up to 3s i think!

RC Competitor
    Where can I get these SPC batteries? They are out of stock on their site. Good price too. Hope they dont charge arm and leg to get them shipped to Canada tho. Like some places lol.

RC Qualifier
    i think only their site sells it just go to Spec point concept and you should find them and they should get them in stock soon!Very good customer service

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    IMO the 380 VXL motor is perfect for this platform. I like pairing it wiht a 1/10th scale ESC. My MERV has been running an old Mamba Max with the stock motor almost since it was new and it has been a very good set up.

I dont like the 1/10th scale motors because IMO they are just too big and that much weight up high like they sit in this platform really hurts the handling of the truck.
    I agree stock motor & MM esc

Sent from my iPad using TapaTalk
    Chris

My rides- Slash 4x4, 1/16 MERV

RC Competitor
    Got a email back from Castle Creations, and they said that the motor is a 540, and not a 550. I looked around and lots of people are saying the 550 is slightly longer then the 540. So will I still need a motor mount or can I use the one from my Titan 12T 550? If I need one, what will I need to make it work? I wouldnt have mind getting the VXL 380 but its not in stock and this CC setup, I can get it shipped to my door for $130.

If your truck currently has the mount for the 380 sized motor then you still need the big block mount to bolt up a 540 sized motor.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    Which mounts we talking about here? These are the mounts I have 7380 mount that screws onto the transmission and the 7360 which bolts on the motor itself.

Ordered my motor/ESC. Pretty pumped.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-16-2013 at 06:40 PM. Reason: merge

the motor and mount you posted earlier will work with the combo your getting.
    Living life.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post

and tend to stress some pieces of the car