Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RallyX3s View Post
    Your creativity is amazing. I didn't even think of something like that. I agree with the removal of the brace being a huge pain in my butt, especially in those frustrating moments when you forget something, the whole pattern repeats again remove front sway bars, remove front screws for brace, remove rear screws for brace. Lol. Then put it all back together. I will see If I get brave enough to take a shot at it.
    Depending on what ESC you go with you maybe fine. The Mamba Monster 2 and 1512 motor take up too much room requiring the shift of the Rx box to where I placed it.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    Bothered by how weak the Medium Prospec springs are, I rummaged through my parts bin and came up with these Hot racing Springs which are heavier and progressive. So I decided I may try these and see how they work. I most likely will order a set of the stiffest Prospec springs I can, but these HR ones may do the job. They are 1.54mm versus 1.21mm.

HR Springs on Prospec (right)
    those HR springs part of a kit or an they be picked up individually ? this might be a game changer for these prospec shocks for me.

RC Champion
    They were part of the shock kit so I'm not sure if they are available separately. Looking at their site they don't seem to list them separately.

However I'm sure these diameter of springs are available at many other supplier we as well

RC Champion
    I started fooling around and mocking up the Rally-2 build. I slapped it together with no internals. Bolted on the 17mm STRC adapters and a typical set of wheels/tires I plan to run.... Oh boy.... I can see why I went GT8 with my first one

These rally aren't super sexy cars to my liking, with their 4x4 looks. The Ford Focus body may be out for this application, as it's an ugly body to begin with, especially when it all super high like it's typically seen.. When it nic eand low it's not so bad, but forget about off road tires, for that it needs smaller Kyosho tires to be able to run low. I may save the body for when the Rally-2 is on road.

The OEM Rally body isn't so bad, and may be the lesser of evils for this project.. I have lots to think about... Humm, maybe another GT8?

Mocked up Rally-2

Not sure about how knobby tires are going to fit under this Focus, with out it being all typical ugleeee

Here is an old friend

Earlier fitment of Rally-1 with Road Rages

With Kyoshos, It's too bad these tires don't last as I burnt through a set in 4-5 runs with Rally-1

RC Champion
    Urg I think you need to message PL and demand them to make a good looking scale subaru, audi, or some other brand popular in rally body for your application. The focus is very ugly to me. Maybe the Parma 55 body for the slash could work for your application.... Or maybe see if deltaplastiks has any nice bodies.
    Slash 4x4 LCG+(rolling)HCG, Slash 2wd(raptor)

RC Champion
    All Delta Plastics, are waay ugleeier than even the 1/10 PL Focus

RC Champion
    I was testing fitting a few other bodies just to see...

PF8 Rally Car?

Or How about a Sweep PL1 offroad?

Received a few items today, I may have to do a bit of assembly

Traxxas Rally Body in clear

XO-1 bearing carriers, steering blocks and CVD shafts

RC Racer
    More more more
    Wife says I have too may RC's I disagree!!

RC Champion
    As requested!

A common question often asked is does the XO-1 CVD shafts fit the wider track Proline Protrac A Arms.... I decided to test my Rally-1 with the Protrac system to see just how it would work. Currently I'm running MIP X-Duty shafts #11104 for the Stampede-Rustler. This also requires MIP #10133 Slash 4x4 front Axles to be swapped out on the front pair. The set up achieves the required longer length for the Protrac system.

While MIPS are beefy they are expensive, so a good alternative for people looking to upgrade a regular slash with aluminum carriers, steering blocks and steel CVD is the full XO-1 system. This is a stronger system as the spindles are 6mm versus the regular 5mm of the standard Slash shaft. As such it does require the full XO-1 carriers and blocks. I got the full set shipped to me $153.00, not bad considering all the upgrade pieces which includes fall the ball bearings as well.

So, back to the question, will the XO-1 system work with the Protrac...? I would have to say yes it will, however there is a caveat.. If you decide to run this set-up, you do so at your own risk. Please don't hold me responsible for anything that may happen with this arrangement. The XO-1 shafts still have a good amount of insertion to be a solid connection, however I know some of you out there have some pretty rank power systems, and or drive your equipment pretty hard. You decide if this is for you. Luckily I don't have to make that decision as I'm running standard width RPM arms in the Rally-2 build the XO-1 system is going into.

Let look at the shafts, shall we. MIP #11104 top, XO-1 bottom, fully compressed

Extended to it limits

XO-1 shaft installed. I didn't install the Bocks as we can assume they are similar in placement as the STRC. Notice the splines are still with in the rubber boot

Here are some numbers 16.79mm of splined section

6.18mm exposed at the full extended travel = 10.61mm of insertion contact. You decide if that's enough.

Here is looking at it another way

Here is the MIP #1104 with #10133 Spindles

Here is the back MIP #11104

XO-1 Shaft installed

Another look

Your call

RC Champion
    Did some work on Rally-2 tonight, it was enjoyable. I did laugh however at all the scrap parts... I really am collecting a lot of these unused components.

Rear assembly stripped down to the diff case

Built up rear assembly with STRC towers, Proline Prospec shocks, XO-1 CVD with XO-1 Carriers, bearings and RPM arms. I have some green rod ends coming, but they were not here in time for assembly

Front Assembly blown apart

Upgraded

Unused parts

Both upgraded pieces

The original

RC Champion
    The current edition, while waiting for more parts

Man....another awesome build!

RC Racer
    Rally-2 is stacking up to be quit the car, looking good. Thank you for the write up on the xo1 cvds with protrac arms, It looks to me like there are enough spline inside to be fine. 10mm in and 6mm out, that's more than half, but do it "at your own risk". Another way to look at it is that you can buy the xo1 cvd and use them while waiting to get the parts to make them longer. Anyway thanks for the clarification Viper. Rock on
    Wife says I have too may RC's I disagree!!

RC Competitor
    God! This looks so HOT! And I bet it will perform fantastically!

Super nice work ViperZ !! If you have ever thought of holding a workshop, I'll be in Saskatoon like lightning!

RC Champion
    Looking good!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RadReptiles831 View Post
    Man....another awesome build!
    Thanks Rad!

Quote Originally Posted by biggdogg1972 View Post
    Rally-2 is stacking up to be quit the car, looking good. Thank you for the write up on the xo1 cvds with protrac arms, It looks to me like there are enough spline inside to be fine. 10mm in and 6mm out, that's more than half, but do it "at your own risk". Another way to look at it is that you can buy the xo1 cvd and use them while waiting to get the parts to make them longer. Anyway thanks for the clarification Viper. Rock on
    Thanks Biggdogg! Yeah, If it I had nothing else and I would certainly run it myself

Quote Originally Posted by CrashTestDummy View Post
    God! This looks so HOT! And I bet it will perform fantastically!

Super nice work ViperZ !! If you have ever thought of holding a workshop, I'll be in Saskatoon like lightning!
    Thanks Crash! For sure it would be fun to hang out and wrench on RC's... I suppose those are the joys I miss of racing, but it's too much commitment these days so I just bash

Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    Looking good!
    Thanks Sean!

RC Champion
    I worked on the Focus a bit this weekend, but didn't get too much done...

So much effort, for so few gains.... I suppose the upside is one step closer. I'm not as fast as others it would seem

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    Sometimes working it slow does the right job effectively

I might have done mine fast but you have no idea what mistake I did
    sent via Samsung Galaxy LIGHT using tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    I worked on the Focus a bit this weekend, but didn't get too much done...

So much effort, for so few gains.... I suppose the upside is one step closer. I'm not as fast as others it would seem
    The shape of the Focus body is looking much better to my eye with some paint on it...I can only imagine what you will come up with for a schema, but I'm sure it will be magical !!!

I'm really hopped up about the green / blue / black combo you have going on the chassis, so I'm praying that the Focus will some more of the same! ;-)

RC Champion
    Thanks Crash! Yeah, I'm liking the Focus body more and more... I did a comparison to the clear OEM Rally body and I was surprised that I was not as in love with it anymore and preferred the look and fit of the Focus.... Maybe a little bit of paint on the Rally would help too

Thanks on the Green/Blue/Black.. Yes I plan to keep the theme with the body as well, so stayed tuned. It is going slower as I'm waiting for a few supplies, and I'm not in a big hurry, but we'll get there!

Just to keep your faith, here is a part I added, keeping with the color theme

My bench is a bit crowded as I was working on my XO last night, and didn't complete the task. So I assembled it on my shop desk instead

Finally I was able to use the RPM shock guards! They didn't really fit the GTRs but they fit the Prospecs. Which is good, My rear GTR's on my Ultimate are getting beat!

Last edited by ViperZ; 03-31-2014 at 07:30 PM.

RC Qualifier
    That chassis brace really pops with that green viper. Sweeeet!!!

RC Champion
    Thanks Cory! I just need the Green Rod ends to complete that look

RC Competitor
    Oooh La La, that's sexy!

Excuse me, I, er, need to go take care of something!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTestDummy View Post
    Oooh La La, that's sexy!

Excuse me, I, er, need to go take care of something!!

Ha, Ha.. Too Funny! Thanks!

So I also rebuilt the shocks on Rally-1. I picked up a set of Silver & Red GTR shock bodies last year and decided to swap out the grey anodized bodies on the XO-1 and Rally-1.

While I was at it I reduced the spring rate on Rally-1 to Yellows (2.8) on the rear, and Whites (2.9) fronts. I may need to soften them up more, but the Greens were much to stiff I think... So I put them on the XO-1

XO and Rally-1

RC Qualifier
    Man, that's a great looking build!!! I had to laugh about the post on all the spare parts, I got boxes of 'em!!!

AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

RC Champion
    Ha, Ha Thanks! I'm sure many of us have a so many spare never to be used parts, it ridiculous!

RC Champion
    Loving the rally-2! Are those the slash GTR's or are they from a different model? They look a little small.

RC Champion
    Thanks Dude

The GTR's are from an E-Revo as are the springs. They are shorter and are the same size as the XO-1 shocks, as such I'm running XO-1 towers front and back on Rally-1 as well.

Rally-2 will maintain the Standard height towers and longer shocks, for now

RC Champion
    Got a few parts, nothing really exciting, but I got some other stuff today. It was like Christmas coming home. One of them is a new tool!

Super Duty Slipper clutch. I have this in Rally-1 and love it! The sway bars, I would have rather the OEM TRX ones, but these were priced right, and they came from the same seller, so I thought I may as well try them.

The new tool, a Badger 150 dual action airbrush... Time to upgrade from my trusty old single action.

RC Qualifier
    Can't wait to see the paint you lay down with that!

RC Champion
    Thanks, all Black, single color, no joke

As I said, I would have just preferred the OEM Traxxas sway bars, but, gave these a shot, they look to operate okay, just a bit overdone with the aluminum body bling.

Fronts

Backs

Last edited by ViperZ; 04-05-2014 at 06:13 AM. Reason: added photos

Im really liking the color theme....looks a lot like my football team the Seattle Seahawks.

RC Champion
    The Superbowl XLVIII Champions?? Never heard of them

I kiidd! They crushed Thanks! I'll trying to come up with something for the body, thus the lag in progress, and I'm feeling a bit lazy....

Oh yeah! Can't wait to see the body!!!

RC Champion
    I have the idea, just planning the execution is taking its time

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    what ever that plan is its going to be wicked good

me on the other hand went to grab some paint at LHS, I got black, orange, and light blue, I don't know how this going to turn out but what was I thinking picking this color

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RadReptiles831 View Post
    Im really liking the color theme....looks a lot like my football team the Seattle Seahawks.
    Bandwagon! Lol

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    what ever that plan is its going to be wicked good

me on the other hand went to grab some paint at LHS, I got black, orange, and light blue, I don't know how this going to turn out but what was I thinking picking this color
    which should be a miracle as a few pages back the poor Focus was being called ugleee by everyone including myself (more from a parental perspective)

Black, Orange and Light Blue? Gulf Car!

I was actually considering doing another Gulf car. One like the Lola-Aston Martin, seeing as I still have a bunch of decals and paint.

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
    Bandwagon! Lol
    Party on the wagon until they kick us off!

Party on the wagon until they kick us off! [/QUOTE]

Lol....I love it! Hater gonna hate....lol

RC Champion
    I don't even have a NFL team

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast