What is a 'Project'?

What do you consider an RC "Project"?

While surfing YouTube for reviews on 4-port chargers I ran across this video from Jang:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOLeI5H0k9c

In the video he says that a project is a RC that you customized by doing something more than buying bolt-on parts. But to me the term 'Project' is kind of like the term 'scale', there are different levels.

Here are three of my RCs, the first one is my 2x4 Slash with the Proline LCG and Pro-Trac kits bolted on, the second is my 4x4 Slash with my GoPro roll cage, and the last is my scaler in which I have built most of the parts including a custom built winch.

I consider them all 'Projects', would you? What do you consider a RC 'Project'?

Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

I love that middle Slash.

I'd definitely consider this one a "project"...

--
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    I consider a project to be anything more than just adding a bolt-on or two. A build on the other hand... that is tearing it down COMPLETELY and rebuilding it with a lot of new parts. People like to call their wheel and tire swaps a build. Sorry guys... it's not.

A project c an b e a lot of different thins to a lot of different people. IMO getting hung up over the term project is silly. To someone with Jang's experience it is going to be different than say a 13 year old who is new to the hobby. Then again I bet Jang would call his "Shape Shifter" a project and really all he did was swap out tires and bodies and maybe tune the suspension a little.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

To me personally, a project is more to the custom side of things.
    If you are just assembling a truck from parts, its a build.
    But if you are combining manufacturers to create a unique rig, that's a project to me.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Qualifier
    the two terms here is "build" and "project" To me a build is just that you ordered some parts and build it bolt them all together and run it that is a build a "project" is something that takes more planning than just scrolling thru ebay picking up parts and picking colors, a project is something thought out like putting together a snow mobile or making a snowplow or something as simple as making your own tire chains, its doesn't have to be a complete project truck could just me an add on, like ramsey77 made that flap that his esc is mounted to that folds down over the battery, or something that is going to use some manufactured part but then also will take some complete customized parts takes a little R&D into it ...imo thats what it is to me....if its all 100% bought parts its a build if you have to make something to complete it its a project
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    A project c an b e a lot of different thins to a lot of different people. IMO getting hung up over the term project is silly.
    Quite true, and in the end, it doesn't matter that much. I just found the topic interesting and thought I would get some opinions about it. I like to know the right term for the right thing, like calling an ESC an ESC, but this is certainly not so technical and has a GIANT patch of gray in the middle of it.

I think you nailed the coolest part of the Shape Shifter project, the main thing he used to get all of those RCs out of the one platform was his imagination, although I am still a bit disappointed in the sedan.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber211 View Post
    the two terms here is "build" and "project"
    I never considered the term 'build', but that does sound a lot better for a RC that you bolt on parts to and don't really fabricate anything.

@dcfox: Very cool project! It looks like it would wheelie on command!
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Build what you want, call it anything you like... its yours lol.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    This was actually discussed quite a while ago when jang first posted that video. Lots of heated opinions... mine is that a project is whatever you want it to be. Its personal. A build can be the same or different. What is a project to one person may be a build to another. Depends on your perspective and opinion.

RC Champion
    was going to say the same pave just about a day late

call it what you want to project an build are to broad to catagorize down to a point
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Champion
    Also depends on your ability, for someone who has no technical background, swapping radio systems could be called a project.
    Matthew 7:7