RC Enthusiast

Newbie here, lipo battery upgrade suggestion

i'm looking for a good quality lipo upgrade for my spartan, something that won't unsolder connections or puff up the batterys something just solid and reliable. not looking for the fastest setup just a good one..any suggestions?

RC Qualifier
    Without suggesting specific brands, go for a 5000mah or higher battery with a discharge C rating in the 40-50 or higher range.

Look for batteries with good heavy lead wires.

hog

RC Enthusiast
    From what i'm reading on this forum i'm almost thinking this boat is not meant to run lipo's seems everyone is puffing up batteries or connections are getting so hot there breaking esc are frying etc. maybe i'll just stick with good nimh 5000mah to try and keep it together. to expensive a toy to watch it go up in flames.....Traxxas doesn't even recommend a battery for this boat...

RC Enthusiast
    I run two 3s traxxas 8400mah batteries with cooling
    Upgrades with no problems I run at half speed I can
    Get about an hour run time

RC Qualifier
    I have run Lipo from the start.

I have fried one ESC, but I was pushing things well beyond the intended limits.

If you are concerned, run a 4S setup (2 x 2S batteries). You will get a performance boost over NiMh, but won't be maxing out the voltage on the ESC.

There have been several reports of melting the plastic off NiMh batteries with the Spartan. It is power hungry, but on Lipo setting you get a low voltage cutoff that is not there for NiMh. Something to consider in the decision process.

RC Enthusiast
    So basically buy 2 5000mah 2S battery's and do the cooling upgrade and don't run it wide open constantly and i should be good. Any recommendation on the upgrade just T off and run bigger separetley or dual pick up rudder the way to go.

RC Qualifier
    i run 2 traxxas 6400mah 25c 3s i also use spc 8200 mah 50c 2s i also run spc 5400 mah 2s and 3s to make 5s and knock on wood i have not had a problem out of any of them.just make sure whatevr battery you get to get a good charger to go with them.

RC Enthusiast
    I just purchased the traxxas 2933 ez peak plus 6 amp charger with dual battery adapter, Which battery's do you think give you the best run time out of all the ones you mentioned?

RC Enthusiast
    I puffed a set (2x3s)of Duratrax 5000mah 35C after a few runs so I bought a set of a different brand 5000mah 65c/130c. So far they are great not even warm after I run them. It was kind of a pain soldering on my GENUINE Traxxas connectors from my LHS to the 10 ga wire but well worth it.

RC Qualifier
    The8200 give me the longest run time but the 3s 6400 make it run faster but do not give alot of run time

I run 5000mah Traxxas 25c batteries and 40c 3300mah batteries with no cooling upgrades and the batteries barely get above ambient temperature.

E-Maxx and Spartan
    Last edited by Double G; 09-17-2013 at 02:46 PM. Reason: banned brand name

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dentguy View Post
    From what i'm reading on this forum i'm almost thinking this boat is not meant to run lipo's seems everyone is puffing up batteries or connections are getting so hot there breaking esc are frying etc. maybe i'll just stick with good nimh 5000mah to try and keep it together. to expensive a toy to watch it go up in flames.....Traxxas doesn't even recommend a battery for this boat...
    If your using 6S you need upgrades, if you want to stay on the stock electrics, use only 2S, add up a cooling line, OT is not an issue, it should be how you manage to control the boat, and often you should keep an eye on the temps. Many owners neglect this, and blaming the electronics or batteries.
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.