RC Enthusiast

Transmission Issue?

Hey everybody, so my current problem I'm having is what I'm guessing would have something to do with my transmission. When I give it any throttle forward or reverse it sits there and make all sorts of noises ranging from clicks, to screeches to a slipping noise and then gradually creeps along at a crawl. The motor revs but the truck doesn't go any where and anything past 1/4 throttle gives the same speed as 1/4 throttle.

I had originally thought it was my slipper clutch so I replaced that and tightened it all the way down then back a turn and 1/4, then I thought it might be my diff so I took it apart, cleaned it and put new grease in it. Then figured while I have it apart I'd clean all the trans gears and replace the grease and still nada. My pinion and spur aren't sharp or worn down either, they mesh perfectly, and there's no rocks jammed between the teeth on either of them. I'd like to try to avoid buying a new transmission If possible.

You can kind of hear what I'm talking about, it sits there revs and boggs down before moving, and I was giving it 1/2 throttle forwards and backwards.

http://s1157.photobucket.com/profile.php?do=editpassword/Sc...8e122.mp4.html
    Please let me know if the video doesn't work

Anyone have any sort of clue what my problem is?

RC Competitor
    Maybe a exploded or missing bearing inside the housing? Check the pin behind the slipper also.

Check the pin behind the slipper
    Sounds logical,I would agree, did you inspect the lay shaft internal shear pin when you redid your diff?
    Its not uncommon for the lay shaft gear(Top gear)to back off the shear pin if the thrust washer wears out, and or snap it.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Competitor
    Ya I don't know all the technical terms yet.

RC Qualifier
    open trans and see if this part is still intact. I had one that the pin was sheared but the gear was still so tight that its spun on the layshaft only under power.

Also make sure the shims are intact not worn on the layshaft. "the little thin washers" If they are worn the layshaft can pop out of the groove on the gear and move freely from time to time making quite the racket.

My wife hates it but I love It.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the the input and how quick it was!

http://traxxas.com/explodedviews/580...Qi-24GHz-radio just gunna reference this to make sure we're talking about the same thing here

All the shims were there and both parts 2754 and 3793 were both still in the layshaft and in one piece.

One thing I left out earlier that I can't believe I did was that the problem only occurs under load. If I lift the rear tires off the ground there's no problem. Once they touch the ground its a whole different story.

Is 3195(gear) pressed over 3793(shear pin)? This sounds like the issue.
    Look at the pic geeves posted for you, the little gear on the upper right has a small valley machined in it(#3195), if the gear isn't pressed over the pin(#3793) as in his pic, it will do exactly what your video showed.
    You may want to look at your slipper pads as well.

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like the motor might be bad if it does it under a load. Overheat it lately??? Usually it'll do that if the magnet becomes separated from heat.

Quote Originally Posted by cbrsilv15 View Post
    Sounds like the motor might be bad if it does it under a load. Overheat it lately??? Usually it'll do that if the magnet becomes separated from heat.
    A brush less motor will loose a little magnetism every time it gets to hot, I never thought to suggest you see if your pinion is tight.
    After watching your video I doubt its the motor but this is easy to check.
    Pull the motor apart and take a look, if something is amiss it will show itself immediately.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 09-05-2013 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Missed spelling

RC Qualifier
    geeves; is that the output shaft by chance? I have a rustler doing the same thing just not as severe and loud.
    Drive it, Break it, Upgrade it

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jcjhl69 View Post
    geeves; is that the output shaft by chance? I have a rustler doing the same thing just not as severe and loud.
    That would be the input shaft part numbrr 3793. It's also called the layshaft, it's the shaft your slipper hardware is fastened to.
    Last edited by geeves; 09-06-2013 at 08:13 PM.
    My wife hates it but I love It.

RC Enthusiast
    Hey everybody, I know it's been a while since any activity on this thread but I just thought I'd give and update and say the problem has been solved! and it wasn't the transmission It was what I guess was a bad rotor inside the new velineon motor I purchased.

I did end up buying a new transmission against my previous statement... I got so fed up with not having my slash knowing how much money i have in it So I tossed in my old xl5 esc and titan 12t and it worked perfectly whether the old or new trans was used. So I figured I'd see if swapping out velineon rotors would make a difference seeing as how I had one laying around from the old motor I trashed and whadda ya know, it worked!