RC Enthusiast

Cool I went brushless...and really happy?

well i went ahead and put an sv2 with an 8.5t hobbywing motor. Just fyi this was stuff i already had sitting around (i had the hobbywing motor for a slash and was just under-powered for that application). In the telluride it seems almost perfect (about 1000 less kv would be absolutely perfect) i was out doing nothing but slow running and it was perfectly cool, after doing that same thing with the titan it was smoking hot. Im running geared 12/83 runs a little faster than the titan geared 14/83, but with a ton more yank and did i mention that it stays cool? I'm just glad i
    finally found a use for the hobbywing motor, but i do miss the super smooth power delivery of
    the titan.

Is that a censored motor?
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Greatscott, motors with turns quoted in half turns are sensored, full turns are sensorless. As far as I understand there are two main ways to wind brushless motors. One with the three windings in a triangle (Delta) or like in a Y shape (Wye).

Delta motors are sensorless and wye wound motors are sensored. This structural difference gives them different performance, that's generally why for example you cannot say that a 13 turn brushless will be close in performance to a 13.5 turn. Not only are the windings different, but the magnets sizes too.

Don't quote me on this, I am no expert. But this is how it has been explained to me

RC Qualifier
    I was thinking about this combo, HobbyWing Sensored system JS4 13.5 2500kv, $120.00. 2s only Light Trail Truck use only, Geared 11-54 32p = 17mph with a total reduction of 14:1. Any thoughts? - or +

http://www.falconsekido.com/products...combo-for-1-10
    Slash 2wd Sand Rail
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

Quote Originally Posted by cunawarit View Post
    Greatscott, motors with turns quoted in half turns are sensored, full turns are sensorless. As far as I understand there are two main ways to wind brushless motors. One with the three windings in a triangle (Delta) or like in a Y shape (Wye).

Delta motors are sensorless and wye wound motors are sensored. This structural difference gives them different performance, that's generally why for example you cannot say that a 13 turn brushless will be close in performance to a 13.5 turn. Not only are the windings different, but the magnets sizes too.

Don't quote me on this, I am no expert. But this is how it has been explained to me
    Great info!!!!
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Enthusiast
    The turn ratings change from manufacturer to manufacturer. With the hobbywing motors the whole turn motors 9t,8t etc.. are all 380 rotor motors with cooling fins that make them the same size as a 540 and in hobbywing the .5 turn 8.5,9.5, etc are all true 540 motors. This motor is sensorless it even says in the description that it is an sv2 sensorless controller. there really isnt a standard out there, i wish there was i have had experienced people all tell me drastically different things about each type of motorbut when discussing the windings you will find both in sensored and sensorless designs. from a controller standpoint they both behave similarly