RC Competitor

Is parts quality a thing of the past?

I've noticed that some of the parts I have purchased lately don't seem to be of a very good quality. Specifically the exhaust seals for the Revo the past couple I've installed have melted. My temp gauge needs new batteries, but the truck was running plenty rich with thick smoke trails and even blubbery performance when the tank was full. Also I just purchased a set of the red aluminum pushrods and when I disassembled them to put the spacers on for use with the P2 rockers the threaded end sections came out with the rod ends. I have an older set of these pushrods and the threaded portion was actually cut from the material of the pushrod itself. So what gives? Is this a cheaper design, or a improvement;i.e. replaceable threaded inserts? Does anyone else have any similar observations?

Sounds like you just got unlucky, I've never had a issue.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TRXaddict View Post
    I've noticed that some of the parts I have purchased lately don't seem to be of a very good quality. Specifically the exhaust seals for the Revo the past couple I've installed have melted. My temp gauge needs new batteries, but the truck was running plenty rich with thick smoke trails and even blubbery performance when the tank was full. Also I just purchased a set of the red aluminum pushrods and when I disassembled them to put the spacers on for use with the P2 rockers the threaded end sections came out with the rod ends. I have an older set of these pushrods and the threaded portion was actually cut from the material of the pushrod itself. So what gives? Is this a cheaper design, or a improvement;i.e. replaceable threaded inserts? Does anyone else have any similar observations?
    Ya traxxas's quality has for sure went downhill. I think it has to do with making more $$$.

RC Champion
    The rod material was never made into threads that I know of because they are tubes. The first make of these were permanently fixed and would snap so they made the removable threaded ends. You can thread lock them if needed. The easy fix would be to upgrade to Lunsford Titanium rods. They have more aggressive thread cut and hold up great under rough conditions. If your melting exhaust seals you are running awfully hot. I do know the nylon Platinum seals get deformed fairly fast. As far as the parts being made with less quality to make more profit I don't buy in on that. Quality control throughout every industry going out there is not a perfect world.
    2009 Florida State Monster Truck Champion
    RBMods

I haven't had an issue either. Given the amount of parts that has the Traxxas name on them, the random quality assurance will not catch every single bad part that was produced. Even if an average of 0.005% is bad on say, 100,000 widgets, that's still 500 bad parts circulating. 500 people get a bad part and we all hear about it and jump on the bandwagon that quality has decreased; how about the 99,500 people that have perfectly functioning parts?
    Threads such as this only bring out the ones that have a beef with a manufacturer for some reason or not and a large majority of the time it is not warranted.
    The Super Derecho