RC Racer

XO-1 with 1/5 scale wheels

Hi everybody,

seems like the stock tires do not offer very much grip, so I decided to put on some 1/5 scale touring-car wheels on the XO-1.

See pictures for some first impressions. I will add more infos and pictures later when I have more time.

RC Qualifier
    What brand? hex?

Review?
    To SUMMIT up, its my coolest RC.

RC Racer
    The tires are PMT Supreme v2, there is no Hex, it's 18mm and square.

I haven't run them on the XO-1 yet, but on my Castle 1717 powered Truggy. They make a lot more traction than the XO-1 tires, the truggy does wheelies with them, it never did that with the XO-1 tires.

When they are warm, little stones stick to them like on real race cars, looks really cool

Problem is though, that they are made for about 10Kg cars and the foams inside are a little too hard for the XO-1 that weighs only half of that. But I think with some custom foams that problem can be solved.

Here you can see what the 'hex' looks like and how I mounted them to the truggy, the XO-1 adapters will be different though.

RC poster
    I bought the 18mm adapter. But XO-1 have 6mm axle. The adapter have 8mm bore. How do u fit the hex on. can u post some pictures? thanks.

RC Champion
    Looks by the pictures turning chassis clearance may be an issue as well?

RC Racer
    Sorry, did not made any progress with this as I was busy on my other projects (twin 1717 truggy and 1717 slash 4x4 lcg buggy )

For clearance the plastic has to be trimmed a little. Because of the larger diameter, the front tires also hit the body from the underside when suspension is fully compressed.
    The adaptors I had planned are basically just some 8mm steel rods with a 6mm hole from one side and a 4mm hole from the other side (for the 4mm threaded part of the axle). On the outside just make a 8mm thread and put a 8mm nut on it.

RC Champion
    I thought it may interfere... Thanks!

RC poster
    where do u buy the 8mm steel rods with a 6mm hole? i cant find any online. or u just made it yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardXO-1 View Post
    Sorry, did not made any progress with this as I was busy on my other projects (twin 1717 truggy and 1717 slash 4x4 lcg buggy )

For clearance the plastic has to be trimmed a little. Because of the larger diameter, the front tires also hit the body from the underside when suspension is fully compressed.
    The adaptors I had planned are basically just some 8mm steel rods with a 6mm hole from one side and a 4mm hole from the other side (for the 4mm threaded part of the axle). On the outside just make a 8mm thread and put a 8mm nut on it.

RC Racer
    I don't have them, I plan to have them made by a friend who has access to a lathe.

Easiest solution would be to get a steel tube with 8mm outer diameter and 4mm inner diameter and then drill it to 6mm from one side.

RC Competitor
    There are some adaptors sold on ebay for the xo-1 to fit the 1/5 GRP wheels. There is 2 guys that sells them.

I cant find the guys that sell the adapters . can you help me ? steve
    XO-1 GUY GETTING OLDER BY THE MINUTE

RC Competitor
    @kzsteve

I found adapters, but buying them isn't possible at this point.

https://emperformanceproducts.com/pr...wheel-adapter/

There is no way to add them to the cart. I contacted them through their site to find out what's up. Haven't managed to find any others at this point. Was wanting to use the 1/5 GRP wheels/tires on a build I'm working on now.

has anyone with the 1/5 scale tires & wheels found them to be way out of balance ? mine were .

I went thru all the no help problems . after many email attempts , I finally got a response & ordered the adapters . they work good , but found the wheels to be tight on the adapters . a little cleaning of the spindle hole & all is well ..

RC Competitor
    @kzsteve Thanks for getting back me on that. I've sent maybe three emails. I suppose I'll have to keep sending emails. I'm guessing they don't bother producing them until they get a certain number of orders lined up.

There were other models of the adapter for sale, wondered if they're selling off inventory and getting out. Hopefully not.

RC Qualifier
    I didn’t find mine out of balance, I found mine had too much slop.
    IG: @818sFastestRC
    Slash 4x4 138MPH

RC Competitor
    @kzsteve i just got some notifications for some messages. Sorry i don't check this account often.

I'm using the GRP tires with the EMP axles. All the wheels fit VERY snug on the axles and have remained that way after use. One of the wheels REALLY needed to be balanced but the others were really close or ok. Functionality... TOTALLY AWESOME

on my xo-1 with 1/5 wheels . all good except I need to find rear axle carriers for mip axles . bearing size is 5x13x4 any help appreciated .. steve

ok , found the correct bearings , but the 1/5 adapters will not stay tight . causes major wobble as they work the way off the shoulder . anyone have this problem ? .thanks .. steve

RC Qualifier
    Does the company that made the adapters have any recommendations? They must have tested them out.
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

not so far . mip is hard to get in touch with , but ill geter done