RC poster

organizing parts

I have been struggling with trying to organize the bench and all my spare parts. How does everyone else store their stuff so it stays neat and organized?

Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC poster
    Thanks Jimmie but I have bout 30 rc cars and loads of parts. Will need more storage than that.

RC Competitor
    I need a solution too
    2 custom Nitros
    Rustler VXL
    Mamba Monster Summit

I find sandwich baggies to be the best storage option for me. Then I put the whole lot in a shoe box, I don't have that many parts though. I have a tackle box for my supplies but a lot of times parts take up too much room to keep in their. I only keep oils, pinions, shock parts, spurs, and nuts and bolts in my tackle box, with all my tools of course.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANGS7981 View Post
    Thanks Jimmie but I have bout 30 rc cars and loads of parts. Will need more storage than that.
    Have you thought about a rolling tool chest? One or two drawers per car unless you take every car with you.

Traxxas Marshal
    I use tackle boxes, storage totes, and various containers to organize my parts. I have a couple of large totes full of larger parts; those are organized by the type of part (e.g vintage parts, unpainted bodies/larger parts, etc.). I use smaller containers to organize parts for specific vehicles, spare electronics, spare motors, etc.

My large tackle box doubles as my pit box. It has two drawers that I use for tools when I'm at the track (admittedly, I haven't been to a track in years) and two large slide-out storage containers for things like screws and other small parts. A smaller tackle box (similar in size to a standard tool box) is used for spare parts for several of my vehicles. I also have a small plastic container/organizer (roughly 12"x6"x2") that is loaded with my most commonly broken parts, some spare screws, etc.; this container is normally in the back of my SUV and I carry it with me when I'm going to the park or some other place (that's not the track) to drive.

My vehicles get stored on my workbench. I currently only have 7 land-based vehicles (1 1:18th that is hidden in the picture below) and two boats, so storing them isn't terribly difficult for me. What takes up the most space is all of the boxes and such from my R/C vehicles and gear. Storage space isn't an issue for me at the moment, but I will break the boxes down when the need arises.

My tools are organized in my tool chest (very organized, you could ask me for a specific tool when I'm blindfolded and I'd be able to pull it out in a matter of seconds). I also have tools organized on a shelf next to my workbench, but those are not R/C specific.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm kind of a freak when it comes to organizing things. I don't like to waste time and having an efficiently organized workspace ensures that I maximize the amount of fun while minimizing the amount of time I spend hunting for tools or parts.

Here's a picture of my setup. My shop is in my basement (doubles as a shop for my bikes) and is approximately 25'x11' (roughly a third of it is pictured). The large storage containers, R/C boxes, etc. are stored on a shelving unit that is not pictured.

If I had 30 vehicles to deal with, I'd make a floor-to-ceiling rack for them. Essentially what I have under my work bench, only one vehicle deep with vehicles going up to the ceiling.

Oh, and I second the sandwich bag suggestion; I use those to organize parts that need to be grouped together (e.g. differentials, exhaust systems, engines, etc.).
    Last edited by cooleocool; 10-08-2013 at 03:49 PM.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC poster
    very nice set up Cooleo

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANGS7981 View Post
    very nice set up Cooleo
    Thank you.

RC poster
    Thinking seriously bout moving my rc stuff to the basement. Just to much stuff in garage.

Traxxas Marshal
    The main reason I've got my R/C and bike shop in my basement instead my garage is because my basement is climate controlled. I'd rather be comfortable when I'm working vs. out in my garage when it's freezing cold or brutally warm.

RC Qualifier
    I have my RC's in the basement. Not as neat as Cooleocools but it works and keeps the better half happy
    The dark and light grey tool box is what I use to store all the things needed to go on the road as far as parts and tools... even a charger for the lipos.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

One of these days I'll get the sheet rock up