RC Enthusiast

cleaning out the diff

so I've split another inner cup. fairly annoying, though no biggie.
    I would like to know if there is something i can use to clean out the old dirty diff lube. knowing that its not grease, degreaser doesn't work! haha

i usually use a rag and try scrape it all off. kinda works i guess but I'm running out of rags!

any help will be much appreciated.

Brake Kleen ??
    You split the carrier cup?? Might have to look at a alum carrier.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Enthusiast
    yes indeed, the second carrier cup has split since i started using 200k lube(may or may not be the problem), which i have enjoyed while running on loose gravel and sand.
    its funny, i have had the truck for almost two years, had very minimal problems with the stock diffs. then from about 4 months ago, its been 3-4 ring gears and 2 cups! super annoying!

i have looked at alum cups and probably will buy some.

after a quick Google search i found some answers. I read though haven't yet tried that methylated spirits (denatured alcohol) will work. I didn't have any of that handy so i tried mineral Turpentine, as it was handy, and because why not.

It worked! so for anyone else who is annoyed by cleaning up silicone lube, any alcohol based solvent should work and Turps sure does!

I usually wash silicone off with dish soap, never had an issue with it not coming off. For the really nasty stuff brake cleaner has done the job as well.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Enthusiast
    dish soap! wow i would never of thought to try that. ha. i'll keep that in mind, particularly the next time i want to clean rubber bits. an x-ring gaskets grew to around 4 times its original size while soaking in turps! haha

RC Champion
    I have had good luck using a small flat head to get a big portion of the silicone out of the cup. Then I finish it with the same flat head and a paper towel wrapped around it.
    Its All relative to your perspective.

RC Qualifier
    Have you tried soaking them in petrol? Works every time for me
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails