Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Competitor

Mamba Monster Summit

Hey Guys -
    I recently picked up a Summit Roller off Craigslist for $250........ really good deal considering that it has everything but 1 servo and the motor/esc......... came with the TQ 2.4 GHz. It also has some proline wheels/tires and a sick custom body. It is black with electric blue flames. All I had to do was clean it up a little and rebuild the rear differential. The thing is HUGE!

My plan is to drop a Castle Creations Mamba Monster 2 in it . Has anyone done this? Have any suggestions? I know not to lock the diffs under high gearing with this brushless beast in it. I am really excited and I am limiting myself to finish this until I sell these darn laptops that I have. I got them for free, fixed them, and they are on Craigslist now. Just got to wait I guess. I will post pics as soon as I can. Please reply to this post or PM me with any suggestions. Thanks Guys! Can't wait until its done!

RC Qualifier
    Pics ? Great deal you got there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heared different opinions about putting a true 1/8th scale brushless system into the summit. some say it can handle it pretty well and others say the diffs can't handle this much power.

I planned to install a 2000KV system similar to the MMM but decided not to do it.

I read the main problem is the deformation of the stock plastic diff cups that will lead the gears to wear and break.

Still there is aluminium diff cup upgrade available that should minimize this issue.

Now if i want little bit more punch and speed than stock I just run a 5s lipo setup with the stock electronics. I also run Trencher X tires on 5s for bashing around.

No issues so far. No overheating of motor or esc and diffs are holding up.
    Last edited by soundmaster; 10-06-2013 at 05:45 AM.

RC Competitor
    Pictures

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by hobbyclassrc; 10-06-2013 at 07:05 PM. Reason: pics don't work

RC Competitor
    So what do you guys think about it?
    2 custom Nitros
    Rustler VXL
    Mamba Monster Summit

RC Qualifier
    MMM is great for speed and bashing. If you intend to crawl you will want a sensored system though. Same cost....just depends how you plan to use your truck.

RC Competitor
    Yeah I completely agree. I'm mostly going to use it like a Monster Truck, although I will crawl a little. Mostly trail stuff.
    2 custom Nitros
    Rustler VXL
    Mamba Monster Summit

RC Competitor
    Like fast trail stuff.
    2 custom Nitros
    Rustler VXL
    Mamba Monster Summit

RC Racer
    Those wheels make the truck more narrow than stock. If your trails are wide open, you could get some wider wheels. Those rims have 0 offset. If you plan on getting it wet you could go with the EVX-2 and the Dewalt. It has more than enough torque and you wont need a fast motor for trails. Most importantly, get a sensored combo.

Are your tires coming unglued? Can we get some pics under the hood?
    Brushless 19/62 SPC 8.2 It's not a Tekin or a MM

RC Competitor
    Yeah sure dude it is a roller at the moment. I am going with the MM2 because I want speed. And I have heard good things about v. 1.20 for the MM2. It should do fine for my kind of running. I will do trails, but not too technical, and I will drive fast around my local park. I will put pics up ASAP.

I have also built a track with one of my buddies, I plan to run it there quite a lot. I think the Mamba will be perfect for my kind of running. I understand that a sensorless motor will not be ideal for a crawler. Maybe I can put pics of the track on another thread.
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 10-07-2013 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Merged
    2 custom Nitros
    Rustler VXL
    Mamba Monster Summit

I think the Mamba Monster is too much Power for the Summit. I rather go with the Xerun 150A 2200KV Sensored System. Still a good and Strong BL System.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by soundmaster View Post
    I think the Mamba Monster is too much Power for the Summit. I rather go with the Xerun 150A 2200KV Sensored System. Still a good and Strong BL System.
    And it's sensored = smooth!

RC Competitor
    Yeah I see where you are coming from........ I basically want a E-Revo BL with the ability to lock the diffs and change gears.
    2 custom Nitros
    Rustler VXL
    Mamba Monster Summit

RC Racer
    Then, I think you're lookin at a 2650KV. I don't know first hand how the cogging is though...

RC Enthusiast
    Might plan on bearings looking at the fender bolts she has seen some water

RC Racer
    What's that on your front diff?

Quote Originally Posted by Deviate View Post
    Then, I think you're lookin at a 2650KV. I don't know first hand how the cogging is though...
    Little bit to much KV for the Summit. I would recommend something between 1800 - 2200 KV preferaby not a Neu 1515, Tacon, Leopard or Ripper since they are too strong for the Summit. Rather go with something more moderate like Xerun 2200 KV.
    Last edited by soundmaster; 10-08-2013 at 06:21 PM.

RC Racer
    Little bit to much KV for the Summit. I would recommend something between 1800 - 2200 KV preferaby not a Neu 1515, Tacon, Leopard or Ripper since they are too strong for the Summit. Rather go with something more moderate like Xerun 2200 KV.
    You're making that opinion sound like a fact. I had a 2650KV in my summit, and I miss it dearly. My 2100KV is too slow for me with 14/62 gears. 2650KV is more speed than torque. This guy is wanting to go fast on a track he and his friend built.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbyclassrc View Post
    Yeah sure dude it is a roller at the moment. I am going with the MM2 because I want speed. And I have heard good things about v. 1.20 for the MM2. It should do fine for my kind of running. I will do trails, but not too technical, and I will drive fast around my local park. I will put pics up ASAP.

I have also built a track with one of my buddies, I plan to run it there quite a lot. I think the Mamba will be perfect for my kind of running. I understand that a sensorless motor will not be ideal for a crawler. Maybe I can put pics of the track on another thread.

RC Champion
    Castle esc is only 120 amp. I just put in a 1800kv 150a sensored xerun combo in my summit. I dont speed due to trencher x's. I do like the performance.
    Last edited by ajcar; 10-08-2013 at 07:04 PM.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Qualifier
    Never put castle in a sentence with leopard and tacon referring to too much power.

Quote Originally Posted by mrhammer2u View Post
    Never put castle in a sentence with leopard and tacon referring to too much power.
    Hääää? What is this guy talking about?

I don't like when someone tells me what to do or not do without any futher explanation!!!!!
    Last edited by soundmaster; 10-08-2013 at 07:44 PM.

RC Competitor
    What do you mean what's that on my front diff?

These pics are all after I rebuilt my rear diff - it had some gravel in it from the previous owner, and it had torn the o-ring that seals the drive cups. (slips over the drive axle yokes). I solved this with a rubber band that is normally used on tooth braces. It was the perfect size! I had filled it with 30k lube and it seems to be a lot stiffer than stock. I will let you guys know how that performs under various types of running when I get the Mamba.
    Last edited by hobbyclassrc; 10-08-2013 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Bad desciption
    2 custom Nitros
    Rustler VXL
    Mamba Monster Summit

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RYNO87 View Post
    Might plan on bearings looking at the fender bolts she has seen some water
    It has bearings
    2 custom Nitros
    Rustler VXL
    Mamba Monster Summit

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbyclassrc View Post
    What do you mean what's that on my front diff?....

It looks like tape or aluminum or something on your front skidplate between your axles in that picture.

RC Competitor

It looks like tape or aluminum or something on your front skidplate between your axles in that picture.
    Oh that is an aluminum skidplate
    2 custom Nitros
    Rustler VXL
    Mamba Monster Summit

RC Competitor

Are your tires coming unglued?
    Yeah they are I gotta fix that
    2 custom Nitros
    Rustler VXL
    Mamba Monster Summit

RC Racer
    It looks like you're missin some axle boots. I have ran like that for a while but over time mine jammed and it may have been half the reason I broke some axles. The 2 telescoping pieces slide together when your suspension moves. When you decompress the suspension and its jammed, it can break the end of the axle.

RC Qualifier
    Castle is BMW. Leopard and Tacon is Hyundai. You lumped them together as if they were equal. Too powerful??? Just sounded silly.

RC Competitor
    It looks like you're missin some axle boots. I have ran like that for a while but over time mine jammed and it may have been half the reason I broke some axles. The 2 telescoping pieces slide together when your suspension moves. When you decompress the suspension and its jammed, it can break the end of the axle.
    Yep I am - I got some from hobbytown but they were the wrong size. I got to return them and get a new size. I also probably should grease the telescoping parts.
    Last edited by hobbyclassrc; 10-08-2013 at 09:43 PM. Reason: forgot punctuation
    2 custom Nitros
    Rustler VXL
    Mamba Monster Summit

RC Racer
    meh, if they are clean and sealed by the boots, they should be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mrhammer2u View Post
    Castle is BMW. Leopard and Tacon is Hyundai. You lumped them together as if they were equal. Too powerful??? Just sounded silly.
    Too powerful means you gonna destroy your diffs pretty soon! Do you own a Summit? Did you do a BL Converion with such a powerful motor?

Have you testet all these motors against each other? Your statements are really not very qualified - sorry!

Here is a more qualified comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA4ejiBGAUg

RC Competitor
    Guys let's not turn my thread into an argument. You may disagree, but I don't want to get shut down. Thanks.
    2 custom Nitros
    Rustler VXL
    Mamba Monster Summit

RC poster
    As i am a newbie and after reading this thresd i am assuming that the MM2 is a sensorless motor? I am new to the summit and plan to buy one very soon, already been looking for brushless options like Tekin or CC.

Mamba Monster Summit

Too powerful means you gonna destroy your diffs pretty soon!
    Do you own a Summit?
    Yes he does.

Did you do a BL Converion with such a powerful motor?
    Yes he did.

Have you tested all these motors against each other?
    Probably not ALL.

Your statements are really not very qualified - sorry!
    Because...?

Here is a more qualified comparison:
    Why the heck do you think that?
    Just because you don't agree, that doesn't make the person with an opposing opinion wrong or unqualified.
    However, if you really think Leopard or Tacon are the equal to Castle, you're STILL behind since mrhammer2u runs a TEKIN!

As hobbyclassrc said, lets keep it civil. And gentlemen, let's not make short blanket statements that can be viewed as inflammatory. Please take the time to EXPLAIN your comments. Thanks!
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 10-09-2013 at 04:26 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

There is no such thing as "too powerful" a setup with modern electronics. You can always dial down the throttle response, loosen your slipper a little more or if your ESC is programmable you can make adjustments there too.

Lastly, just don't slam full throttle every time you run. Most people don't push the pedal to the floorboard taking off from every stop sign. Same principle with high-powered RC setups.

RC Competitor
    Thank you ksb51rl!
    2 custom Nitros
    Rustler VXL
    Mamba Monster Summit

Quote Originally Posted by TireSlinger View Post
    There is no such thing as "too powerful" a setup with modern electronics. You can always dial down the throttle response, loosen your slipper a little more or if your ESC is programmable you can make adjustments there too.

Lastly, just don't slam full throttle every time you run. Most people don't push the pedal to the floorboard taking off from every stop sign. Same principle with high-powered RC setups.
    The issue,in my case is not too much power it's too little self control the power is very seductive,Sometimes too seductive.i had it under control.....had....being the key word.I have run a brushless system.still do part time. I just can't be trusted with that kind of power.lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by hirevn View Post
    As i am a newbie and after reading this thresd i am assuming that the MM2 is a sensorless motor? I am new to the summit and plan to buy one very soon, already been looking for brushless options like Tekin or CC.
    Yes the Mamba Monster 2 is sensorless.
    2 custom Nitros
    Rustler VXL
    Mamba Monster Summit

The MM2 is an ESC, not a motor.... but the MM2 is sensorless.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC poster
    I waited too long and couldnt edit my earlier post but yhea, i meant the CC motor that comes with the MM2 ESC package. I wonder how the MM2 would pair with the Tekin sensored motor?
    Last edited by hirevn; 10-09-2013 at 08:11 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast