Thread: Beginner

RC poster

Beginner

Hello,
    So I got a Rustler VXL as an early birthday present from my gf, it is a second hand car bought and looks to only be a few months old. Majority of the car is stock but the seller did state they had put $50 (CAD) worth of upgrades.

I took a quick look and it looks like he added new front/rear bumpers (aluminum) but other then that I couldn't figure out what he upgraded.

I am interested in making the car stance wider and some better shocks but I get pretty confused while looking around at sites with parts (a little to overwhelming). So I figured I would post here, I am also looking to rise the height abit since I live in the Canadian Arctic and we got alot of rocks around here.

Any help would be great, if you could post links that would be even better.

Thanks

Post some pics w/o the body and someone here will probably be able to point out any upgrades.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

Beginner

Recommend getting yourself some 5000mha Lipos and a good charger, then have fun learning your truck and doing some research on parts and upgrades.

There are better shocks out there, but ultra shocks really aren't too bad, you can improve performance a lot by changing out the springs and changing out the fluid. Losi XXX 2.5" green fronts and 3" in the back work well, 40-45wt oil.

Awesome GF, sounds like a keeper!
    Last edited by Greatscott; 10-07-2013 at 12:01 AM.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    If you can, post pics of your new Rusty, obviously without the body. I'm definitely not a huge fan of aluminum bumpers, especially if you're into bashing and racing off-road. The aluminum bumpers will usually just bend, they're more for looks than actual durability. RPM actually makes some great bumpers for the Rusty. As far as shocks go, if they haven't yet been upgraded, I don't know if you're still running the stock Traxxas Rusty shocks? However, Traxxas actually makes a set of Big Bore shocks with TiNi shock shafts, for the Rusty, that are some pretty darn reliable shocks. There's also GPM shocks which are extremely good shocks, along with Losi 8ight, Losi XXX-T, and Proline.....just depends how much you want to spend. I'd definitely stay far away from Integy shocks or parts in general, IMHO. If you're looking to extend the wheel base, look for a set of extended A-arms, like FLM (Fast Lane Machine), they'll definitely do the job.

***However, I would just drive it for now and have fun running it, then replace parts as they break. Believe me, you'll break many parts, so the opportunity to upgrade specific components, will always present itself. You'll have a lot of opportunities to upgrade your Rusty, just by running it, with its stock parts. Don't hesitate to ask more questions. But try to post pics of your Rusty***
    FLM RUSTY, FLM EMAXX, ERBE, SLASH PLATINUM 4X4

RC poster
    I will post a pic later on today but thanks for the replies already, I have already ordered a 2S 2P Venom 8000mah battery and
    charger, some Kumo tires as well that is all I have ordered so far.

So here are the pics:

Last edited by arctic4x4; 10-07-2013 at 12:31 PM.

RC Qualifier
    hey, you sure Losi XXX has 3" springs? I think they have only 2" and 2.5." I've been looking for 3" springs for the Rusty rear shocks but couldn't find any.

Putting in the Titanium shock shafts (1664T) is also a good idea. Stock shafts are like rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Recommend getting yourself some 5000mha Lipos and a good charger, then have fun learning your truck and doing some research on parts and upgrades.

There are better shocks out there, but ultra shocks really aren't too bad, you can improve performance a lot by changing out the springs and changing out the fluid. Losi XXX 2.5" green fronts and 3" in the back work well, 40-45wt oil.

Awesome GF, sounds like a keeper!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Rpm parts are always the way to go anytime you break something, IMO. They have a plastic that flexes, not breaks. And an outstanding no questions asked free replacement if you break it policy.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Qualifier
    The front and rear bumper look to be the only thing that was upgraded on the rustler from what I can see. Somebody has put that thing through the ringer if it is only a month or two old. If I were you I would fully disassemble it and clean it up. If it hasn't already started happening you will start to see rust on most all of the metal parts on there real soon. The above comment is some pretty good info except I wouldn't go with RPM for the front caster blocks, I'd go with aluminum. It will help prevent bent kingpins. If you can, take that lipo battery out of the truck, set it flat on the table and take a picture of it for us PERFECTLY from the side... From te angle you took the picture, it looks like it may be "puffed" a little bit.

RC poster
    I had been using it out in the mud/slush yesterday and forgot to clean it, rust is not a problem up here in the north as we don't get much acid rain and we have dirt roads so never require salt on the roads.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltim0re28 View Post
    The front and rear bumper look to be the only thing that was upgraded on the rustler from what I can see. Somebody has put that thing through the ringer if it is only a month or two old. If I were you I would fully disassemble it and clean it up. If it hasn't already started happening you will start to see rust on most all of the metal parts on there real soon. The above comment is some pretty good info except I wouldn't go with RPM for the front caster blocks, I'd go with aluminum. It will help prevent bent kingpins. If you can, take that lipo battery out of the truck, set it flat on the table and take a picture of it for us PERFECTLY from the side... From te angle you took the picture, it looks like it may be "puffed" a little bit.
    Definitely agree with BaltimOre28! You're best to tear that Rusty down, clean it, and check it out. All the electronics are caked with dirt. The previous owner obviously had some fun off-roading with it, but unfortunately didn't bother to clean it up, before you got it. But it's not a problem, just a bit time consuming. But you'll learn a lot if you're new to the hobby. Plus run aluminum castors, like STRC or Hot Racing, don't run plastic, even if they're RPM. You'll definitely bend some pins with stock or plastic castor blocks. I'd start with a good cleaning. Good luck mate. Cheers!

RC Qualifier
    Your esc, rx, and motor, all look like they've been buried in sand. Dig'em out and clean em.