RC Qualifier

Got a 3906 E-Maxx roller

After reading about E-Maxxs, it wouldn't hurt to add the original E-Maxx to my list of Traxxas rcs. Got a roller off of ebay last week or so. Chassis looks in great shape, but needs lots of improvements. I checked the tranny, it looked fine, but will change those bearings.

I can't believe how wimpy the drive shafts are compared to the newer Maxxs and one of them is twisted. The Pro-Line Crime Fighter tires looks like they were hardly used. RPM rims are okay except for the rear left which is way out of whack.

Don't know what kind of shocks it got, but I bought something a couple days later: Pro-Line Power Strokes used, but look like brand new. The seller said that he used them like five times and only on road runs. Didn't think I would never get these especially in great condition, but I got a great deal on them.

Right now nothing much is going on with this project, but will start a 2 in 1 build thread for both my 3906 and 3903 Maxx. The 3903 is the one getting upgraded while the 3906 will get some stuff from its sister just to get it running. Will try that muggy diff mod for it and a Dewalt motor may find its way to my new Maxx someday. Is it possible to give it a second steering servo?

Once I get the stuff together I going to start the project. Any suggestions I need to do to it? Thanks.

Update: I checked the rear left and its okay. The wheel hex hub is worn out pretty good.
    Last edited by SouperkNight; 10-18-2013 at 05:14 PM.
    Did you say Traxxas?

Yes with or without lipos.

RC Champion
    You can swap the driveshaft and hub with the newer ones
    it will add about " to the width

Oh and if you plan on using lipo and/or brushless
    you should replace the idlers with the newer steel ones (just need a bit of grinding)

And replace the roll pin's on the topshaft

You can upgrade the steering with a stronger servo and the steering from the 3903
    Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

RC Qualifier
    The driveshafts, links and knuckles were One of the things I'm planing to do to it. I also read about the gears being weak, but never heard of a unlimited engineering idler gear before. What's it's part number?
    Did you say Traxxas?

If your changing the pair it's #13407.
    Google search trumps Wiki. Refer to user guide.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by trax de max View Post
    If your changing the pair it's #13407.
    If your lucky enough to find them
    Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

RC Qualifier
    Well can't be harder than finding ULTRAMAXXED titanium gears. I may get a full metal gear set for it.
    Did you say Traxxas?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SouperkNight View Post
    Well can't be harder than finding ULTRAMAXXED titanium gears. I may get a full metal gear set for it.
    Bin searching for those lightweight Ti gears for years
    Finally bought some steel Mod1 gear stock and when I get the time I'll have hardened steel gears
    Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoopMaxx View Post
    If your lucky enough to find them
    You can still find the Unlimited Engineering Hardened steel iders. You just order them from their site, here.

Did you get those PowerStrokes off eBay? I was watching an auction with the same description. If you are just bashing I wouldn't run the risk of messing of your nice looking set of PowerStrokes . Also if you upgrade to the newer shafts and not cvds the PowerStrokes will rub. If you want some strong shocks you could just get some UE SuperShocks or some 1/8 buggy shocks.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Zane_Grey View Post
    Did you get those PowerStrokes off eBay? I was watching an auction with the same description. If you are just bashing I wouldn't run the risk of messing of your nice looking set of PowerStrokes . Also if you upgrade to the newer shafts and not cvds the PowerStrokes will rub. If you want some strong shocks you could just get some UE SuperShocks or some 1/8 buggy shocks.
    Yes, I did. I ran into to them on the site a couple of days after I bought the 3906. Since they are rare and in great condition, I will not use them for serious bashing and honestly I haven't sent my 3903 sky high yet except one time.

Whatever shocks my 3906 came with I might use for now, but I to change the oil in them. Two of them have so much sag that pre-loading them work fix it. I noticed when taking them off that two of them are longer the other two.

Thanks for the heads up on the driveshafts. I was wondering which one of those two shocks upgrade is cost friendly?

@everyone:

I spoke too soon about the RPM rims. I found out one of them has a big crack in the center. Will have tom be a replace it, but I going to use the wheels from my 3903 since its getting a new sets.
    Did you say Traxxas?

RC Champion
    That look like RC8T shocks
    Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

RC Qualifier
    Looking for a motor plate and I found two different ones by Traxxas, 3990 an 3990x. I read that the 3990x dissipate heat better than 3990. Is there really a difference between the two.
    Did you say Traxxas?

RC Champion
    One has grooves machined in to the surface and I think it's a bit thicker ...That's about it
    Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)