Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,240 of 1257
    Traxxas Marshal
    And keep in mind, it's not just the extreme gears (I wasn't entirely clear earlier). You can usually hear it when you're cross chaining, as your drive train will be noisier.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

I am better than you!!

RC Enthusiast
    Ya I saw that in the news. Very sad. But its a undesired danger with road biking. Rip

Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    And keep in mind, it's not just the extreme gears (I wasn't entirely clear earlier). You can usually hear it when you're cross chaining, as your drive train will be noisier.
    yeah, i usually keep it on the 4th gear of my 10 gear cassette. Thanks for your info, ever since i got this bicycle i have been riding properly and very impressed with how it is totally silent.
    2001 tmaxx, 2012 1/16 erevo vxl

that is sad.

So I got rid of the Schwinn Jaguar I mentioned a few pages back. The frame on it was too small for me to ride comfortably and I took a pretty bad fall on it. Not sure how or why but the goose neck came loose from the fork, the tire went hard left the bars hard right and I did a Swan dive over the bars that turned into a belly flop, messed up my right arm from the thumb all the way up to my shoulder and the elbow was all bruised and swollen. It has been a few weeks since the fall and my arm is almost back to normal.

I traded the bike for....well a basket case of a single speed cruiser. The guy is a friend of a neighbor who's only transportation is his bike and he desperately wanted a bike with gears. His bike was beat and abused badly. It had been painted 5x but never taken apart to be painted, just sprayed as it sat. I felt I was doing him a good deed in making the trade and wanted a project, man did I get that.

Here is the bike after I stripped the paint and re painted it, replaced the tires, pedal, chain, seat and bars and cleaned and re packed the bearings in the hubs, steering tube and bottom bracket and replaced the kick stand.

BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Went out for a ride today and was very disappointed that one of my sections of a route that the road is now got that stupid chip seal on it and makes for some rough miles to ride. But felt much better getting out and riding today. Got sprinkled on for a few minutes but nothing to bad. The group I was in was two different ideas of riding. The faster of the bunch was to fast and always way ahead. But we did manage to get in about seventy miles today. So it was a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    So I got rid of the Schwinn Jaguar I mentioned a few pages back. The frame on it was too small for me to ride comfortably and I took a pretty bad fall on it. Not sure how or why but the goose neck came loose from the fork, the tire went hard left the bars hard right and I did a Swan dive over the bars that turned into a belly flop, messed up my right arm from the thumb all the way up to my shoulder and the elbow was all bruised and swollen. It has been a few weeks since the fall and my arm is almost back to normal.

I traded the bike for....well a basket case of a single speed cruiser. The guy is a friend of a neighbor who's only transportation is his bike and he desperately wanted a bike with gears. His bike was beat and abused badly. It had been painted 5x but never taken apart to be painted, just sprayed as it sat. I felt I was doing him a good deed in making the trade and wanted a project, man did I get that.

Here is the bike after I stripped the paint and re painted it, replaced the tires, pedal, chain, seat and bars and cleaned and re packed the bearings in the hubs, steering tube and bottom bracket and replaced the kick stand.

lookin' good! have any before pics?

Quote Originally Posted by nathan8856 View Post
    lookin' good! have any before pics?
    Sadly I forgot to take any before pics, it was pretty terrible, even the chain had several coats of paint on it.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

even the chain had several coats of paint on it.
    LOL, how do you even do that?

Quote Originally Posted by nathan8856 View Post
    LOL, how do you even do that?
    It was disgraceful, the guy would literally decide he wanted the bike a different color, grab a can of paint and just start spraying. It took me 3 days to strip all the unwanted paint off the bike
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

It was disgraceful, the guy would literally decide he wanted the bike a different color, grab a can of paint and just start spraying. It took me 3 days to strip all the unwanted paint off the bike
    oh man! reminds me of a grey mountain bike i used to have, the previous owner had not masked anything off or removed any parts and just sprayed a few cans all over it. it was probably the ugliest bike i have ever seen, i ended up repainting it, but still the rest of the components were covered in paint and i ended up taking it to the dump.

But about 100km on my bike in 4 months not the best but I want to get more!!
    I am better than you!!

Quote Originally Posted by ant12hony View Post
    This old fat guy is doing that much and maybe a little more every week
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

Traxxas Marshal
    Lightweights. I could easily do that in a few hours. While half asleep.

In all seriousness, though, I hope everyone has been enjoying their bicycles! Not too much to report here. I did end up with a cut tire last week, a partial sidewall cut. I wasn't sure if my dollar bill was going to work as a boot with a partial sidewall cut, but I was able to ride 8 miles home. Other than that, nothing too eventful. The cranks on my bicycles are still turning, so I can't complain.

keep up the good work!

since i got my new bicycle last month, i have put a little over 300 miles on it, not that much but all ive really done with it is commute. i had a few close calls last weekend, the first of which i was going with the flow of traffic and was less than a car length behind this car. we were approaching a stop sign when this truck gets MGIF syndrome and tries to pass me, he is following me with 3 feet in between us honking and yelling to ride on the sidewalk, i stay where i am and he starts trying to pass, at this point i am at a stop 2 feet behind the car in front of me, the truck is halfway in my lane, halfway in the oncoming lane yelling at me. i got out of there as soon as i could. the second, i was going straight at a nice 27 mph (downhill) when this cop car decides to go right turning right in front of me, forcing me to slam on the brakes and turn into the ditch to avoid him. after this one i got a dashcam and mounted it to my handlebars so now i will have proof in case anything happens it wont be my word against theirs. the third one, i was waiting at a stop sign to go straight, i had been there for a few minutes when a car pulls up to turn left, i finally see a chance to go so i do and he takes off to! he almost hits me and yells at me for running the stop sign. i also got my first scratch on my carbon fork i was following another cyclist at a little over 20mph when he ran over a rock and it flew into my fork .
    Last edited by nathan8856; 06-19-2015 at 09:29 AM.

I got an early Father's Day gift . No more going to the bike shop because I don't have the tool
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

Keep safe their nathan and Dad wish I could have that
    I am better than you!!

I got an early Father's Day gift . No more going to the bike shop because I don't have the tool
    wow, i gotta get one!

RC Qualifier
    I've got a good box of bike tools. Not to much out there I truly need, but from time to time I'll pick up something. Occasionally I'll need something I don't have I'll go over to a friend's house to use something, he's the biggest bike geek i know.

Traxxas Marshal
    I've built my bike tool collection (mostly Park Tools) up over the years as I've needed things. You can't put a price on having the right tool for the job, that's for sure.

Speaking of bike projects, that utility bike I have been working on (for nearly two years!) is ready for paint now. I just need to get it painted so I can get it built up.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-21-2015 at 08:33 AM.

Speaking of bike projects, that utility bike I have been working on (for nearly two years!) is ready for paint now. I just need to get it painted so I can get it built up.
    awesome! cant wait to see some pictures of it

my new job is actually working as a bicycle assembler at walmart, so if i ever need to do anything to my bike i just bring it in after work and get her fixed up we have a park tools stand and a tool box full of every tool you could possibly need, but i myself have just an adjustable wrench, allen key set, and leather men
    Last edited by nathan8856; 06-21-2015 at 10:02 AM.

Traxxas Marshal
    Don't hold your breath on me finishing it (just in case)! After all, it has basically taken me two years to strip the bike and prep it for paint. Granted, that's because I haven't actually been working on it much (at all). That bike just hasn't been high on my priority list. I'd like to have it finished by the end of next month, but we'll see. I have everything I need to build it up. Just need to paint and assemble. I might also need a different seat post and stem for fit purposes, but I won't know that till it's built.

Don't hold your breath on me finishing it (just in case)! After all, it has basically taken me two years to strip the bike and prep it for paint. Granted, that's because I haven't actually been working on it much (at all). That bike just hasn't been high on my priority list. I'd like to have it finished by the end of next month, but we'll see. I have everything I need to build it up. Just need to paint and assemble. I might also need a different seat post and stem for fit purposes, but I won't know that till it's built.
    ah, well hope you find time to work on it.

I was not real happy with the color I used in my single speed so I decided to repaint it
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

The green look great!

I just added another bike to my steed.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

Quote Originally Posted by carraig042 View Post
    The green look great!
    +1 the green looks awesome.

RC Qualifier
    Always great to get a new ride. Makes me want to go out and get something new. About the best I've done for buying anything for riding is bought my son some new gloves to go with his new bike so he can come out with me next weekend. It will be his first real time out mountain biking with me so I think I'm more excited than he is.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by carraig042 View Post
    The green look great!

I just added another bike to my steed.

-Brett
    Nice bike. Do you ride Dirt jumps?

A guy I work with is selling this one. It's a 2013 trek 7.2. Just needs a bath and says it's in great condition. $300. What do yall think?

RC Qualifier
    Yesterday was a great day of mountain biking. We bought the boy a new mountain bike about a month ago and I finally took him out on his very first mountain biking experience. Hit the bike park by our house and ran a few small runs to let try it out and see how it was to actually go riding. The trails were pretty mellow, just what he needed to start out with. Although it was probably the shortest trail riding I've ever done it wasn't about how many miles were rode, or how fast I was riding, it was about letting him try a new sport and spending time together. The wife tells me that he is really starting to turn into a little mini me for hobbies. Nothing wrong with that though, riding is a great sport to get into for fun, exercise, and a good way to just hang out.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtwohands View Post
    A guy I work with is selling this one. It's a 2013 trek 7.2. Just needs a bath and says it's in great condition. $300. What do yall think?
    I dont think u could go wrong with spending only $300 the new price is like $490!!
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 07-07-2015 at 08:59 PM.
    I am better than you!!

I dont think u could go wrong with spending only $300 the new price is like $490!!
    i'd talk him down to $250, so you have some extra money to get some good pedals.

RC Enthusiast
    this is my mountain bike and it can do 29.8 mph on a 21 speeds

RC Qualifier
    Sup fellas! It's been a very long time since I've been on here, I have yet to go out and do much ridding. I've only got about 50 miles for the whole year

BUT! I've been doing a lot of research and searching at new bikes and I think I'm pretty well set on a new bike. Finally. It's a Fuji Sportif 2.1! It's a little cheaper than that Cannondale I was looking at (Base price 870 vs. 809) and Fuji is a phenomenal company. I think I'm going to go to the bike shop tomorrow and have them place that order! I'm excited. After it's all said and done it'll cost me about 860 ish, which is in my price range. Now I gotta play the waiting game for 2ish weeks..

A buddy of mine just got a Fuji Sportif 2.5. I've seen it and it's so much nicer than my little wal-mart bike. I'm starting to get frustrated with the gears on it too. The gears up front, I ride with it in 3rd gear always, never shift it out because I ride faster than what 2nd gear offers. I only ever change gears on the rear, well the shifter will say 3, but it will stay in 2nd. and I just got it tuned up as well. It's starting to get annoying. oh well.

Sounds like you all are getting in some decent miles!
    God is good.

RC Enthusiast
    I don't usually ride my bike and I usually spend time at the gym, but I should start riding my bike

Went for another short ride this eve

But my cassette gears are lose Like each one individually do you guys know if this is how its supposed to be??
    I am better than you!!

Traxxas Marshal
    That seems odd (loose cassette gears). Is the cassette lock ring properly torqued? If you don't have the tools, you should probably take it down to a bike shop and get it looked at just in case.

On another note, two years ago to the day I picked up my project utility bike (an older MTB that was in fairly rough shape). It has taken so long to complete, mostly due to me being busy and not really feeling like messing with it. I've had the parts to build it up for quite some time now, but prepping the frame for paint took a while--because I didn't want to do it!

That being said, I finally got a repainted yesterday. I went with metallic silver for the frame and gloss black for the fork. Since it's a utility bike that will be locked up around town, I decided not to fix a couple of small dents in the frame (the dents make it less attractive). The paint job isn't perfect either, but I didn't want it to be. I ended up doing a rattle can job (3 coats of each: primer, base, clear). I thought about powder coating, but decided against it because I wanted to refinish it myself. I've been wanting to get it painted for several weeks now, but I've been waiting for the perfect day; yesterday was that day. The sun was shining, the wind was light, the humidity was low, etc. I decided to paint outside and I let everything bake in the sun for several hours. Now everything is hanging up in my garage. I'll give it about a week or so to cure before I start building the bike up.

I should have everything I need to build it up. I might need to pick up a different seat post and/or stem depending on how the bike fit is. But besides that, I'll just have to wait. I'm reusing many of the original components, so I just need to get those cleaned up. I bought new wheels for it (black rims w/ black spokes, they're sharp!), and I got my new tires (Continental touring tires) mounted yesterday.

It'll definitely be nice to have this bike done. This will be the sort of bike I'll hop on in my street clothes to make a quick grocery run, grab ice cream, and other general commuting purposes. All of my other bikes have clippless pedals, so hopping on them in street clothes doesn't happen very often.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-16-2015 at 07:19 AM.

Thanks coolecool I'll check it and get ti back on the road!!
    I am better than you!!

well, the other day i got a couple of new projects old schwinns my favorite, the first one is a schwinn super le tour ( i guess around mid-late 80's), the second is a schwinn continental, same size as my old one but lime green. both of them were in terrible shape, rusty drivetrains, chrome, chains etc... i started on the continental first and am unsure what i will do with the super le tour (since it is the wrong frame size for me). here are some before pictures (excuse the messy garage):
    dont even ask about the funky handlebar setup so, they were covered in mold, rusty and have been sitting outside in the Tennessee weather for years. i decided that for the continental i want a nice fun single speed get around town bike. i cant seem to find any kits that will work with this wheel so i went i went ahead and did what i call the poor mans single speed conversion . i regreased the hub bearings, used steel wool to eliminate the rust on the chrome, took off all the derailleurs, rear break, big gear and gear cover. i then used the stock rear cassette, and lined it up, took off some chain links and BAM it works, no skipping gears no weird sounds nothing. after that i tried to remove the grips that were fitted onto the handlebars but they just wouldnt come off, so i decided i would go all the way and cut the bars into bull horn handle bars. this is definitely not the finished results, but so far im diggin' it.

Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast