RC poster

Revo 3.3 motor locked up??

I was running my truck today,a couple wide open runs down the drive way, and then it just died. I went to restart it and the starter just clicked and tried to turn over but it acted like the motor was locked up and the starter torqued up like it was free, but wouldnt turn engine over. I pulled the glow plug out and took a small screw driver and tried pushing the piston down and it moved slightly,but then I went to restart and it and still acts like the motor is locked up. Any advice?

RC Racer
    Probably blew the engine

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    take a hair dryer and heat the motor up. while still hot, use a flat blade screw driver to pry the the flywheel over. make sure you spin the motor in the normal rotation (counter clockwise when looking from front).
    I have an RC problem...

RC poster
    Long story short it broke the connecting rod and chunks of the rod got stuck under the crank. I dont have alot of run time on this truck so it is surprising that it had a catastrophic failure like this. What are my options,I dont care to try and repair this engine,really would like to go bigger like a Picco .26 or something like that. Can anybody point me in the right direction as far as what I need and where to get it. Thanks!

RC Racer
    Thought so, that sucks man... :-( you can get a new piston sleeve & rod from dollar hobbyz quite cheap :-)

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozrevoguy View Post
    Thought so, that sucks man... :-( you can get a new piston sleeve & rod from dollar hobbyz quite cheap :-)

Ok so I got a new piston,rod,sleeve and everything is installed properly. Piston right direction,etc but it will not start. It will turn over fine,just wont fire. I swapped glow plugs,put heat on the motor,fully charged battery pack and it still wont fire. Any advice?

RC Racer
    Reset carb to factory settings

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozrevoguy View Post
    Reset carb to factory settings

Yep did that too...Possible I have 2 bad glow plugs,but I wouldnt think so..I dont know what else to do at this point..Only other thing I did which I dont know if it makes a difference,but my truck had almost a foot of fuel hose wrapped up just laying on the chassis,so I cut it to to about 6"..I see the fuel moving from the tank to the carb when I try and start it so I dont know if that is causing any problems

RC Racer
    Plug your finger over the exhaust to prime it if you're not. Be careful not to flood it though :-)

RC poster
    Is there a reason the factory puts a 12" fuel line on these? Because like I said I cut mine down to about 6" to remove some clutter,but now im wondering if it is causing my issue or not starting. Also where can I get replacement O-rings for the carb? I removed the O-ring for cleaning while I had the engine apart,I replaced it of course but im wondering if that is causing my no start issue.

RC Champion
    The length of the ful line shouldn't have anything to do with the motor running normal. The longer fuel line just allows the car to run longer upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Ride View Post
    Ok so I got a new piston,rod,sleeve and everything is installed properly. Piston right direction,etc but it will not start. It will turn over fine,just wont fire. I swapped glow plugs,put heat on the motor,fully charged battery pack and it still wont fire. Any advice?
    Because you replaced the piston and sleeve you have to start with break-in like a brand new engine reset the carb. to factory settings also check to see if the glow plug is good you could have a bad plug. Did you remember to put the yellow wire back on?

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Ride View Post
    Is there a reason the factory puts a 12" fuel line on these? Because like I said I cut mine down to about 6" to remove some clutter,but now im wondering if it is causing my issue or not starting. Also where can I get replacement O-rings for the carb? I removed the O-ring for cleaning while I had the engine apart,I replaced it of course but im wondering if that is causing my no start issue.
    The Revo was designed as a race truck the longer fuel line was in case you roll over the engine will stay running so a turn marshal can get to your truck and turn it back over in a race if the engine dies you are out of the race.

You can get the o ring here Traxxas O-Ring & Seal Set Traxxas 2.5

I know it says for the 2.5 engine but the 3.3 uses the same carb.
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

RC poster
    Truck is back running again,it just needed a fresh glow plug...I forgot to mention I did the crank mod and sleeve porting while it was apart and it woke this thing up big time,I dont think I will ever need a bigger engine,the modified stock engine will sing!...Just sucks having to start all over tuning it