RC poster

Long term LiPo in storage mode

Hey folks,

I have a quick question. I bought a Stampede 4x4 early this year and I have two LiPo's that go with it. They are both Traxxas brand. Then I unexpectedly moved out of the country but I could not take my Stamp with me. I put the LiPo's in storage mode before I left, and now I plan on picking up the Stamp at Christmas and bringing it back with me. So at that point my LiPo's will have been in storage mode and unused for six months. Should I expect a problem? Is this dangerous? Any advice?

TL : DR; My two LiPo's have been in storage mode unused for six months. Will I have a problem?
    Last edited by pdgmtf; 11-11-2013 at 08:55 PM.

They should be fine... what temps are they being stored at?

I have had LiPo's at storage voltage in my fridge for about a year before. I pulled them out, let them warm up to ambient temps, charged and ran them without any issues what so ever.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Racer
    http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries

The above link may be helpful. General rules to maximize battery life and cycles

1. Avoid heat as this shortens battery life considerably

A. Store between 40F and 80F

B. Safe operating temp between 70F and 120F, though a rule of ambient + 10F is probably better.

C. Never allow charging temp to exceed 110F (fire hazard)

D. Never allow operating temp to exceed 143F (fire hazard)

2. Keep battery charges between 40-90% of max capacity

A. Basically stop charge at 4.1v/cell -- 90% of capacity
    B. Don't discharge below 3.7v/cell (storage charge) -- 40% of capacity

The process of charging to max capacity 4.2v/cell and near complete discharge gets one about 300 cycles on battery. The aforementioned strategy gets up to 1000 cycles/battery but may not be as much fun as full charge and deep discharge which most people do.