Thread: GoPro on Alias.

GoPro on Alias.

I dont think it would be big enough/powerful enough, but someone that has one should see what kind of weight it can handle and still fly decently. I would love to get one and mount a GoPro on it for some edits. the new GoPro is 74 grams plus mount.... but then again, the Alias only weighs 100 grams...

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

Quote Originally Posted by carraig042 View Post
    I dont think it would be big enough/powerful enough, but someone that has one should see what kind of weight it can handle and still fly decently. I would love to get one and mount a GoPro on it for some edits. the new GoPro is 74 grams plus mount.... but then again, the Alias only weighs 100 grams...

-Brett
    Thanks for the question Brett. The Alias is much too small to handle a GoPro camera. I did a quick test after reading your post and strapped about 20 grams of weight to an Alias to test its load carrying ability. It handled that quite well, required about 40% throttle to maintain a hover (the Alias normally hovers around 28 – 30% throttle) and still had enough power to fly reasonably well. I was even able to do flips without hitting the ground in a room with an 8 foot ceiling. I then strapped about 40 grams of weight to the Alias. It would pick it up but required about 70% throttle just to maintain a hover. I was able to fly it around a bit but it was draining the battery so quick that within a minute or so it required almost full throttle just to keep it in the air. Based on this test I would have to say somewhere around 20 grams would be the limit and still have reasonable performance and flight times. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Propsmoke; 11-12-2013 at 05:23 PM.

I thought it wouldn't, but you never know till you ask. I have seen some mini cameras that may fit in that weight range, but I don't know if the image quality is good with the price they are at. I appreciate you testing that for me!

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

Quote Originally Posted by carraig042 View Post
    I thought it wouldn't, but you never know till you ask. I have seen some mini cameras that may fit in that weight range, but I don't know if the image quality is good with the price they are at. I appreciate you testing that for me!

-Brett
    No problem!

Traxxas Employee
    I ordered a Muvi Atom to mount on my Alias. It's about 30 grams. I'll see how well it flies with one. I carried a DR-1 helicopter under the Alias and it seemed to handle that okay, but I wasn't doing any tricks obviously.

Traxxas Employee
    Here's the worst jury-rigged camera mount you've ever seen, double-sided pad and good ol' rubber band. It does work though. The Alias requires about 50% throttle to hover with it which isn't great. It might just be able to do a flip, but I'm not sure I want to test it yet. I think I wore out one of my motors carrying around the camera and the DR-1. I would expect to replace a few motors if you are carrying around a camera.

The movie quality is marginal. It's no Go-Pro, but it's also 1/5th the price of a Go-Pro. I didn't expect 1080 movie quality. This is more like watching a YouTube video in 360p. I will try to post some videos if it's not too windy to go outside.

Last edited by E-Maxxdude; 11-19-2013 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by E-Maxxdude View Post
    Here's the worst jury-rigged camera mount you've ever seen, double-sided pad and good ol' rubber band. It does work though. The Alias requires about 50% throttle to hover with it which isn't great. It might just be able to do a flip, but I'm not sure I want to test it yet. I think I wore out one of my motors carrying around the camera and the DR-1. I would expect to replace a few motors if you are carrying around a camera.

The movie quality is marginal. It's no Go-Pro, but it's also 1/5th the price of a Go-Pro. I didn't expect 1080 movie quality. This is more like watching a YouTube video in 360p. I will try to post some videos if it's not too windy to go outside.

thats a fancy mount you got there!!!
    Slash 4x4 lcg(heavily modded), Telluride(modded)gone, TCP, Monster Buggy, Latrax SST(heavily modded), Spartan, "My Summit" pic of that posted in the gallery........and some other things.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hahaha nice!

RC Qualifier
    you might try one of the 808HD keychain cam models. i have a #11 that produces 720HD videos. i do not know what its weight is, but it is the size of a car remote and thin in profile. i believe the #18 model produces 1080HD and is the same size with some added features over the #11. i fly mine on my Big Lama or my brushless E500 co-axials and it results in very nice videos using a class 10 16gb micro SD card. they are no where a gopro, but the video quality is very nice for what they are. i even mount mine on my hat and use it as a hatcam. i will have to check out what my mounting options are when i get mine but i am pretty sure it wouldnt take much to attach it with as small as it is. an insulator and a rubber band like shown above would probably do the trick just fine?

RC Qualifier
    So i tried lifting up my iphone 5 with this and it couldn't even get off the floor, same with ipod 4. Haha this hing is so fun though, flew it in the flea market and everyone looked up. ��

Traxxas Employee
    Oh yeah, it cannot even begin to pick up an iPhone.

The most it can reasonably lift is about 70 grams, but that stresses the motors so don't expect them to last too long doing that. A keychain camera should be pretty easy to lift though.

RC Qualifier
    I just hope they would make a bigger one, one that can lift an iphone or a gopro

RC Racer
    I hope that if the camera latrax might make it will take hd videos and be not too pricy....
    MERV, Broken Alias.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonerrw View Post
    you might try one of the 808HD keychain cam models. i have a #11 that produces 720HD videos. i do not know what its weight is, but it is the size of a car remote and thin in profile. i believe the #18 model produces 1080HD and is the same size with some added features over the #11. i fly mine on my Big Lama or my brushless E500 co-axials and it results in very nice videos using a class 10 16gb micro SD card. they are no where a gopro, but the video quality is very nice for what they are. i even mount mine on my hat and use it as a hatcam. i will have to check out what my mounting options are when i get mine but i am pretty sure it wouldnt take much to attach it with as small as it is. an insulator and a rubber band like shown above would probably do the trick just fine?

actually i bought an 808 keychain camera JUST for putting it on this alias after realizing a gopro isnt practical. the alias carries the 808 like it doesnt even know its there. hover is still around 30% and loops and rolls are just as easy without having it on at all. only issue i am having is vibration. the footage is very clear, but also extremely jellow-y. i tried ziptie-ing the camera to the base and got the best results. i tried velcro and it made the vibration worse. i just need to find some way to mount the camera with some kind of tiny anti vibration platform on the bottom and id be golden

RC Competitor
    Cummington, MA. 25 miles everywhere from nowhere
    I have done some video cams with an 808 with my SYMA X1's. Foam ear plugs work pretty well as an anti vibration material. Rubber bands seem to work better than velcro. I used a combination of velcro and rubber bands. There is this material called "moon gel" which is an acoustical putty-like material used by drummers that is rated even better, but it is expensive which I have not tried. Again this was done on a different less powerful quad of similar size, but essentially relatively similar design. My setup is/was very similar to the pictures posted previously. I prefer the cam on the underside to remove the props from the video. I really do not think cam placement affects balance whether the cam is mounted top side or bottom side in reality.

Balanced props are important with any video with any type quad.

Just my experience that may have some application towards the Alias.
    Last edited by jbrumberg; 04-27-2014 at 06:21 AM.

RC Qualifier
    patience has paid off and soon the ad-on camera designed for the Alias will be up for purchase. from what I have read, it will be very close in comparison to the 808 and the beauty of it is that it is made to fit exactly where it will perform the best on the Alias. the fact that it is designed to "mount" properly to the Alias frame, "should" eliminate any vibration or jello. put a decent class card in it, and it should produce a very nice video . it is a bit pricey, but it is also custom built specifically for this quad. if it does well, it's really a decent buy.

I tried my 808 a couple of times, just to see how it would do but I was not happy with the video. like JB said... my Alias also didn't even know the camera was there, but the video was really horrible with vibration and I decided not to spend a bunch of time designing a mount for a quad that I really only sport fly anyway . I have seen a few videos of guys using the 808 though that turned out some really nice videos .

it would be very nice if the Traxxas folks who have tested this camera could post a video of it in action.
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

RC Enthusiast
    I have a new 808 #26 mini coming. It says full 1080p HD. Trouble is the weight come in at 38g. My 808 #16 mini wide angle Which is 720P HD only weights 17g. I`ll post some vids soon to compare.

I agree.. it would be nice to have a weight and a video of the Traxxas Alias 720p HD Camera in action.
    Last edited by HuskyDude; 04-27-2014 at 04:27 PM.

RC Competitor
    I forget the price at the moment (I am getting older and my mental status is already shot to begin with anyways), but if I remember correctly it was less than $50 USD, and there was a wide angle lens as an additional option as well.

I like the idea of a video cam that is designed to match up with the Alias and run off the transmitter controls. Who knows in some secret closet at Traxxas someone is already playing around with FPV. That would be very interesting. I have seen SYMA X1's setup for FPV.

RC Qualifier
    I tried the Mobius cam...no dice. It was too heavy. The Alias would fly, but not well at all. Above 80% throttle...

RC Competitor
    At this point I might try some basic setups with my 808, but if I am going to use my Alias for any kind of video action. I will go with the dedicated Alias HD cam. If anything for the transmitter control. I have other toys and options for AP if I choose.