RC Turnbuckle Jr.

G-Rustler's Alias...My First Impressions/QR-1 Comparisons

Just got the bird in and of course Black/Red is the best Colorway

Upon opening I was VERY impressed with the size of the Alias. Pics and vids doesn't do it any justice.

Comparison Pic

One big relief was that the blades are screwed in instead of just being pushed down onto the rotors which is a good thing. Won't have to worry about being in mid-flight and a blade popping off.

Not really a fan of the transmitters short knobby control sticks. the QR-1's control sticks are a nice length. I guess i'll have to adjust.

love the lil rubber landing pads on the arms

this gear setup scares me because a friend of mine has a non-traxxas/latrax helicopter with this type of gear setup and one after just one crash you could strip the gears EASILY. Just speaking from what I've seen. Hoping its not going to be a problem.

Battery Comparison

MORE TO COME ONCE I ACTUALLY GET HER FLYING...

RC Racer
    Sweet! Can't wait to see a video

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    MERV, Broken Alias.

G-Rustler,
    In response to this comment you made "Not really a fan of the transmitters short knobby control sticks. the QR-1's control sticks are a nice length. I guess i'll have to adjust."
    The Alias comes with an extra set of "traditional" sticks as well. You can remove the "buttons" on the transmitter and replace them with the sticks. You just pull them straight out, they are pressed in. You will find the extra set of sticks in the clear plastic bag with the extra props.

In response to this comment: "this gear setup scares me because a friend of mine has a non-traxxas/latrax helicopter with this type of gear setup and one after just one crash you could strip the gears EASILY. Just speaking from what I've seen. Hoping its not going to be a problem." I have over 100 full battery packs run through my Alias and have only had to replace two spur gears. You basically would have to hit something pretty hard at high throttle settings to strip one. It is very easy to prevent stripping them at all if you get in the habit of cutting the throttle completely just before you hit something. Most times when I am flying I will reach a point where I know I have lost control and I am not going to be able to recover it. I just cut the throttle and let it fall. It almost NEVER breaks anything no matter what you hit if the throttle is off. Also, if you do happen to strip a spur gear it is extremely easy to change. Takes less than one minute. Go ahead and order two packages of two spur gears so you have them on hand just in case. They are part number 6646 and cost $1.50 for a package of two.

RC Racer
    Cool! Thanks for your info!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    MERV, Broken Alias.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Propsmoke View Post
    G-Rustler,
    In response to this comment you made "Not really a fan of the transmitters short knobby control sticks. the QR-1's control sticks are a nice length. I guess i'll have to adjust."
    The Alias comes with an extra set of "traditional" sticks as well. You can remove the "buttons" on the transmitter and replace them with the sticks. You just pull them straight out, they are pressed in. You will find the extra set of sticks in the clear plastic bag with the extra props.

In response to this comment: "this gear setup scares me because a friend of mine has a non-traxxas/latrax helicopter with this type of gear setup and one after just one crash you could strip the gears EASILY. Just speaking from what I've seen. Hoping its not going to be a problem." I have over 100 full battery packs run through my Alias and have only had to replace two spur gears. You basically would have to hit something pretty hard at high throttle settings to strip one. It is very easy to prevent stripping them at all if you get in the habit of cutting the throttle completely just before you hit something. Most times when I am flying I will reach a point where I know I have lost control and I am not going to be able to recover it. I just cut the throttle and let it fall. It almost NEVER breaks anything no matter what you hit if the throttle is off. Also, if you do happen to strip a spur gear it is extremely easy to change. Takes less than one minute. Go ahead and order two packages of two spur gears so you have them on hand just in case. They are part number 6646 and cost $1.50 for a package of two.
    wow i didnt even pay attention to the prop bag yet . its still in the box. i guess i'll have to check it when i get home. thanks for the info man. and yes i will order some spur gears. have plenty for my onroad trucks so why not have some for the heli's! once again thanks for the info.

My pleasure

I've beat the tar out of mine and occasionally will take one tooth off a gear. Even with the damage I've flown one to several more packs without issue other than a clicking sound.

As Prop said, anything that does go is very inexpensive.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    well I just got back in from its first outdoor flight and my my my I am impressed! its sooo smooth, I recommend this to anyone who's thinking about purchasing! especially those with a QR-1. just ordered a second battery, gonna find a spur gear set in a lil bit. I kno i'm going to need it soon

oh and I installed the traditional sticks on the transmitter so its definitely a smile from ear to ear on my face
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-13-2013 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Merge

Looks great. How much run time do you get with the bigger 650mah battery and does the charger that comes with the Alias charge it just fine?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtwohands View Post
    Looks great. How much run time do you get with the bigger 650mah battery and does the charger that comes with the Alias charge it just fine?
    well I don't know exactly how long but if you had a QR-1...its just a bit longer run-time than those stock batteries. and the usb charger is just fine. the charger actually has Fast and Normal charge mode. I have no complaints about this copter after I got my transmitter sticks installed

Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    well I don't know exactly how long but if you had a QR-1...its just a bit longer run-time than those stock batteries. and the usb charger is just fine. the charger actually has Fast and Normal charge mode. I have no complaints about this copter after I got my transmitter sticks installed
    I dont have a QR-1 but I can kind of gauge the time by what I have read. Thank you for the info and congrats on the new copter. I'm jealous

well I just got back in from its first outdoor flight and my my my I am impressed! its sooo smooth, I recommend this to anyone who's thinking about purchasing! especially those with a QR-1. just ordered a second battery, gonna find a spur gear set in a lil bit. I kno i'm going to need it soon

oh and I installed the traditional sticks on the transmitter so its definitely a smile from ear to ear on my face
    Glad to hear you got the traditional sticks installed and it sounds like you are loving it just like I do! Let us know if you have any more questions. Even though the Alias is just our third entry in the r/c aviation market, many of us at Traxxas are long time r/c pilots of everything from giant scale airplanes to 3D collective pitch helicopters! We know a thing or two about flying and we are here to help!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Need my 2nd battery now! the run time on one battery is sufficient but when you're having too much fun its not cool to run out of batteries lol

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Took the Alias in to work today and flew it in the warehouse. I counted about 4 different co-workers who were shocked at the stability of the little beast. Also some were surprised at the power the motors and the "wind" they give off.

RC Enthusiast
    Pur-ple Rain.... Pur-ple Raaaaaaaain

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by chopsueykapow View Post
    Pur-ple Rain.... Pur-ple Raaaaaaaain
    haha good catch. Classic Album/Movie

RC Competitor
    I have run one of the quads that we have here with a stripped gear for multiple packs, just to see how it would perform....it still flies normally, just makes a slight noise.....although, I would recommend changing the spur as soon as possible, its cool to know that the heli can take it...

Traxxas Employee
    Took the Alias in to work today and flew it in the warehouse. I counted about 4 different co-workers who were shocked at the stability of the little beast. Also some were surprised at the power the motors and the "wind" they give off.
    You're lucky. My coworkers try to bring mine down by shooting rubber bands or tossing things at it. They haven't taken my Alias down yet. MUHAHAHA!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by E-Maxxdude View Post
    You're lucky. My coworkers try to bring mine down by shooting rubber bands or tossing things at it. They haven't taken my Alias down yet. MUHAHAHA!!!!
    Rubber band anti-aircraft gun is on order