RC Enthusiast

Noob Perspective

I just got my alias tonight I first saw the write up on another site and gained interest in it after watching several youtube vids. I own several ground and water rc's but not really any air, after watching and reading everything on the main page I ordered one. The overall size is great it is about the size of a standard notebook, and for anyone thinking that flying might be too hard or air rc is going to break quickly well I just ran this through its durability paces and it is still going strong. After crashing this into a chair and wall (my fault not the alias) I got the hang of it really quickly. I started to fly the quad around my house and was able to avoid everything due to the lights on the arms they really helped me figure out the orientation of the vehicle so I knew where I needed to go at all times. The auto leveling works great and this thing hovers like a champ, even in "training mode" it is really responsive and I can see how this could grow with me as my flying skill increases. If anyone is thinking about getting one just do it it is at a great price point and it is a blast to fly I can't wait to use it more.

RC Racer
    Cool! Thanks for the info! I too don't have any experience with air but I just ordered the alias. I can't wait!
    MERV, Broken Alias.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Good to see more members are falling into the Alias nation! this thing is simple yet elegant. I have weekend duty this week...guess what I'm going to pack in my bag for when it gets slow at the job?

Quote Originally Posted by evilalf View Post
    I just got my alias tonight I first saw the write up on another site and gained interest in it after watching several youtube vids. I own several ground and water rc's but not really any air, after watching and reading everything on the main page I ordered one. The overall size is great it is about the size of a standard notebook, and for anyone thinking that flying might be too hard or air rc is going to break quickly well I just ran this through its durability paces and it is still going strong. After crashing this into a chair and wall (my fault not the alias) I got the hang of it really quickly. I started to fly the quad around my house and was able to avoid everything due to the lights on the arms they really helped me figure out the orientation of the vehicle so I knew where I needed to go at all times. The auto leveling works great and this thing hovers like a champ, even in "training mode" it is really responsive and I can see how this could grow with me as my flying skill increases. If anyone is thinking about getting one just do it it is at a great price point and it is a blast to fly I can't wait to use it more.

Thanks for sharing your feedback and thoughts. I personally am very happy to hear that even inexperienced r/c pilots are finding the Alias enjoyable and easy to fly! You are very correct about the Alias growing with you. Once you get comfortable flying in "Fast" mode I would recommend increasing the responsiveness of the Alias a little at a time by increasing the rate settings in the transmitter for "Fast" mode, especially the ail/elevator rate. Once you master "fast" mode with ail/elev set to 100% then it might be time to try "Expert" mode. Just remember that Expert mode will not automatically return the Alias to level flight when the right stick is returned to center so take it easy until you get used to it.

RC Qualifier
    i actually never considered a quad myself until a friend linked me to a video of this Alias. i fly mcpx v2's, have three highly modified honeybee V2's, and a couple of co-axials that i started the hobby with two years ago. after seeing the videos, reading everything in sight about it, and about one day of letting it all soak in, i wasted no time in ordering one. i have never flown a quad so i am a bit nervous about it, because even with my mcpx's i do not do 3D flying yet, but the videos make it look so easy and if they can crash it in to another Alias, a tree, a sign, and run over it with a bicycle and it still fly's... i might have half a chance in learning it .
    i am looking very forward to seeing it arrive . looks like it will be a blast to fly!

RC Qualifier
    i had to do it FD... it really was a no brainer . it will be perfect for me to learn and grow with while i decide if this is the direction i want to go. some of the guys in another forum remarked at this one's cost versus other mini quads, but when i pointed out to them that this was a 6 channel/6 axis versus the 4/4's that were being suggested, that really were not much cheaper, the light sorta kicked on for them about what i was learning about this quad. the fact that you can do just about everything but run it over with a train, and it will still fly... that was the part that sold me. when you factor in the fact that you will be replacing virtually nothing from most crashes versus other quads, and the money you will save because of Traxxas' detailed attention to durability... it ends of being cheaper in the long run .
    it was also remarked about its controllers "gamish" appearance. the truth is that it is ergonomically perfect and once you realize that it has computing power unlike any other in its class, or many classes actually, you quickly forget the concept of it being "gamish" and realize that Traxxas went out of their way to provide a controller that was not only designed to be comfortable in your hands, but offer more than enough power in its programming to be viable not only for beginners who can learn and grow with it, but advanced pilots as well.
    just my take on it after doing days and days of research, heck, i didnt even know that Traxxas made heli's or quads until you linked me to this. i owe ya one Buddy . i am really excited about its arrival, which i hoping will be shortly now, and cant wait to get it going .
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.