Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. danielhr77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    4,759

    Fast charger for QR-1?

    Hey Guys,

    Can I use the fast charger from the Alias on my QR-1 batteries?

    Thanks!

    Daniel.
    He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

  2. #2
    Traxxas Employee TRXse7en's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    19
    No. The Alias uses what is commonly known as a JST plug. The QR-1 uses a flat 2-pin plug that is sometimes called a 2-pin Molex. The 2 plugs are not compatible.

  3. #3
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. danielhr77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    4,759
    Yes I know, but it's easy to make an adapter, so, let me rephrase my question, will a QR-1 LiPo battery handle the current from an Alias charger in any of the two modes (normal or fast charge)?
    He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

  4. #4
    Traxxas Employee TRXse7en's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77 View Post
    Yes I know, but it's easy to make an adapter, so, let me rephrase my question, will a QR-1 LiPo battery handle the current from an Alias charger in any of the two modes (normal or fast charge)?
    The QR-1 battery has the polarity of the red and black wire reversed from what is “normal.” Meaning the plug is on backwards compared to other batteries on the market. So, the adapter you make would have to also take into account this revered plug because the Alias battery follows “normal” convention.

    Also, even on the 0.5A setting on the Alias charger, it will charge the QR-1 battery at more than a 2C charge rate which is high. So to answer your question, yes it will work, but the battery will have a shorter lifetime. On fast mode, 1A, you would be charging at more than 4C which is a bad idea and should never be done.

    I still do not suggest trying to use the Alias charger with the QR-1 batteries. Since the polarity is reversed and it is charging at a minimum of 2C, it is a bad idea. The included chargers for each heli are really the best thing to use to guarantee proper battery life and your own safety.

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Mojave Desert
    Posts
    3,013
    Don't see the reasoning behind wanting to charge qr-1 batteries with an alias charger? whats wrong with the qr-1 charger? i have both and they charge about the same. The Alias's fast charge isnt that much of a difference than The QR-1's normal charge. just isn't worth the trouble.

  6. #6
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. danielhr77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    4,759
    Quote Originally Posted by TRXse7en View Post
    The QR-1 battery has the polarity of the red and black wire reversed from what is “normal.” Meaning the plug is on backwards compared to other batteries on the market. So, the adapter you make would have to also take into account this revered plug because the Alias battery follows “normal” convention.
    I know, I already made a similar one: http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...alkera-adapter!


    Quote Originally Posted by TRXse7en View Post
    Also, even on the 0.5A setting on the Alias charger, it will charge the QR-1 battery at more than a 2C charge rate which is high. So to answer your question, yes it will work, but the battery will have a shorter lifetime. On fast mode, 1A, you would be charging at more than 4C which is a bad idea and should never be done.

    I still do not suggest trying to use the Alias charger with the QR-1 batteries. Since the polarity is reversed and it is charging at a minimum of 2C, it is a bad idea. The included chargers for each heli are really the best thing to use to guarantee proper battery life and your own safety.
    That's all I needed to know...


    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    Don't see the reasoning behind wanting to charge qr-1 batteries with an alias charger? whats wrong with the qr-1 charger? i have both and they charge about the same. The Alias's fast charge isnt that much of a difference than The QR-1's normal charge. just isn't worth the trouble.
    Nothing wrong with it, I just wanted to know if it's possible to charge those batteries at more than 1C, I'm impatient...

    Last edited by danielhr77; 11-22-2013 at 04:28 PM.
    He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •