RC poster

new Latrax Alias not working

I'd like to preface this by mentioning that I picked up a QR1 maybe a year ago and had a similar issue which was so frustrating that I just returned the thing.

I got my Alias a few hours ago, and after charging it decided to try out some flight. Now aside from a "beginner" copter I've never really delved into air R/C before. Apparently the Alias wasn't in "new person" mode, and the throttle was a lot higher than I was hoping for, even for my vaulted ceilings, and I ended up crashing against a wall a few times, and into the back of a loveseat. It's important to note that each time, before crashing, I would kill the throttle in an attempt to not crash the thing (the throttle would go so high it would nearly hit the ceiling, thus reducing throttle and then crashing). After a few of what I'd call fairly light crashes, I ran into a fun problem.

The Alias will have some rotors spin, and others not.

Not only this, I came across a Traxxas Support video on the QR1 discussing armature adjustment, and this method does not seem to work on the Alias. Some blades will spin while others don't. Then, some of the spinning blades will cut out completely. One of the front blades seems to spin full bore, two others sometimes spin and sometimes die, and a fourth hasn't spun at all. None of them have any sort of friction or other resistance when trying to spin them by hand.

The Traxxas Support section for this product doesn't exist on Traxxas.com, so I'm not sure what else to try, but I will say I'm rather bummed out that this product had the same issues the QR1 had for me. I picked one of these up on the notion it was super durable, as the QR1 would seemingly break after hitting surfaces that weren't that hard, and it would do so not that fast. Are all quads this delicate? Maybe I should see about returning this thing and just get a car or truck? I'm at a loss for what to do.

RC poster
    Thanks for the reply. That's the one thing I felt qualified in double-checking before posting - when spinning a blade, the black gear the blade is affixed to will spin the corresponding bronze-colored gear that is attached to the motor.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by juffins View Post
    I'd like to preface this by mentioning that I picked up a QR1 maybe a year ago and had a similar issue which was so frustrating that I just returned the thing.

I got my Alias a few hours ago, and after charging it decided to try out some flight. Now aside from a "beginner" copter I've never really delved into air R/C before. Apparently the Alias wasn't in "new person" mode, and the throttle was a lot higher than I was hoping for, even for my vaulted ceilings, and I ended up crashing against a wall a few times, and into the back of a loveseat. It's important to note that each time, before crashing, I would kill the throttle in an attempt to not crash the thing (the throttle would go so high it would nearly hit the ceiling, thus reducing throttle and then crashing). After a few of what I'd call fairly light crashes, I ran into a fun problem.

The Alias will have some rotors spin, and others not.

Not only this, I came across a Traxxas Support video on the QR1 discussing armature adjustment, and this method does not seem to work on the Alias. Some blades will spin while others don't. Then, some of the spinning blades will cut out completely. One of the front blades seems to spin full bore, two others sometimes spin and sometimes die, and a fourth hasn't spun at all. None of them have any sort of friction or other resistance when trying to spin them by hand.

The Traxxas Support section for this product doesn't exist on Traxxas.com, so I'm not sure what else to try, but I will say I'm rather bummed out that this product had the same issues the QR1 had for me. I picked one of these up on the notion it was super durable, as the QR1 would seemingly break after hitting surfaces that weren't that hard, and it would do so not that fast. Are all quads this delicate? Maybe I should see about returning this thing and just get a car or truck? I'm at a loss for what to do.
    If you go on the site, you can download some good information, including the manual. Try resetting the accelerometers by following the instructions on one of there documents. I can't seem to attach it to this reply. I see insert image and video, but no file insert icon.

RC poster
    I haven't had any success in any help documents. The Alias support site is here:

http://traxxas.com/support/models/LaTrax-Alias-6608

And I get a "page not found" error when navigating here.

Latrax has its own website.
    Here is the:
    LaTrax Alias Support page
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    looks like registration for the Alias is on that page as well... thanks for the link!
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

RC poster
    I have the same problem with my brand new Alias.

I tried resetting the accelerometers twice with no change.

The barcode/serial on the Alias is L02009456

RC poster
    Yeah, I haven't seen any change in behavior. Not sure where to go from here. I have an email in to Traxxas since Wednesday, but with the holidays it's understandable if they're just not open for the weekend.

RC Qualifier
    I'm having the same issues. My Alias came in the mail Saturday. I charged the battery and flew it in beginner mode with no drama. I charged the pack back up and went to fly today on my lunch break. As soon as I increase the throttle to take off it would flip on its side. So I tried a slower approach. Doing this I could see all the blades were not spinning correctly. Some not at all and one really fast. It also seemed to drop the bind after a few seconds. I held it in my hand and kept testing this. Then I reset the r/x per the manual and still nothing. Im stumped and bummed out.
    Traxxas Rally, Grave Digger, and LaTrax Alias

Traxxas Employee
    Quote Originally Posted by Koko View Post
    I'm having the same issues. My Alias came in the mail Saturday. I charged the battery and flew it in beginner mode with no drama. I charged the pack back up and went to fly today on my lunch break. As soon as I increase the throttle to take off it would flip on its side. So I tried a slower approach. Doing this I could see all the blades were not spinning correctly. Some not at all and one really fast. It also seemed to drop the bind after a few seconds. I held it in my hand and kept testing this. Then I reset the r/x per the manual and still nothing. Im stumped and bummed out.
    Call Traxxas. A reset may fix your issues.

RC Qualifier
    I called Traxxas. I reset my T/X per the manual. I dod it again while on the phone with then. They asked me to mail it in. So I dropped it in the mail after work. Scheduled to arrive on Thursday in Texas. I'll keep everyone posted with what they say.

Is there a way to reset the helicopter itself?
    Traxxas Rally, Grave Digger, and LaTrax Alias

RC poster
    I have the same problem. I plan to call them on Momday;two front motors spool up like crazy, rear motos do not spin at all, and I have not even gone through one full battetry pak. All four worked when it was brand new, after maybe three minutes the rear omes just died. I do not want this thing to turn into a money pit that always needs repair. And yes I did tne accelleromenter reset, does do much good with dead motors...
    Last edited by Earl D; 10-18-2014 at 06:39 PM.