RC Competitor

Castle 3800kv SCT question

I just installed the SCT by Castle and have a few questions. First the motor itself is really tight when its off, the titan would spin pretty easy. Is this normal? Also it don't seem as fast, or it doesn't have the speed most people here brag it up to have. Im geared 16/90. Im really not impressed so far, but its possible the way its wired is restricting it? Anyone have any insight/

RC Qualifier
    I run the same combo in my truck, and yes the motor is quite a bit harder to spin than the stock Titan. For gearing, 16-90 is very conservative for that combo. You can switch to the 23-86 that traxxas supplies with the truck for some more speed, and if you have it you can go as small as a 76 spur in the back without having heat problems. Also, what kind of battery are you using?

I agree I think you are geared way too low. Also that motor tends to be an amp hog and pretty demanding of the batteries. What kind of battery are you using? You might need to upgrade the battery to see the full potential from that motor.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    With low gearing this thing should be popping wheelies no.? Our track has lots of tight turns and only one straightaway. I'm running 4100 mah 30c 2s lipos.

Quote Originally Posted by race19s View Post
    With low gearing this thing should be popping wheelies no.? Our track has lots of tight turns and only one straightaway. I'm running 4100 mah 30c 2s lipos.
    That motor has a lot of torque, it would be more likely to lift the front end geared higher.
    While I do what ever I can to stop my trucks from pulling wheelies I'm aware some folks want to.
    The 3800 is more likely to pull wheelies with the stock 23/86 or even 25/86 gears, at 16/90 it might just spin thee tires.
    Then you have to run a tighter slipper also.
    A slash set up to pull wheelies is imo hard on the drive train.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    You would think it would pull wheelies all day long with 16-90 right? I can't even pull a wheelie on 16-90 with 3s. But i can geared 23-76.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    That motor has a lot of torque, it would be more likely to lift the front end geared higher.
    While I do what ever I can to stop my trucks from pulling wheelies I'm aware some folks want to.
    The 3800 is more likely to pull wheelies with the stock 23/86 or even 25/86 gears, at 16/90 it might just spin thee tires.
    Then you have to run a tighter slipper also.
    A slash set up to pull wheelies is imo hard on the drive train.
    My goal isn't to pull wheelies, but its a crystal clear sign of impressive power, I'll have to see about gearing to gain some speed. That said it don't make sense to me it don't matter which port in the ESC the wires go. They are in a fixed spot in the motor, why does the ESC not match that.? That's the part of me that wonders if its wired or setup for max power

My goal isn't to pull wheelies, but its a crystal clear sign of impressive power, I'll have to see about gearing to gain some speed. That said it don't make sense to me it don't matter which port in the ESC the wires go. They are in a fixed spot in the motor, why does the ESC not match that.? That's the part of me that wonders if its wired or setup for max power
    You can change the wires for directional reasons and reset the esc accordingly.
    The motor has a reverse rotation in a mid motor setup.
    There are several videos on youtube that help with this.
    If you can see in this pic the white and black wires are my setup are reversed so it rotates correctly.
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Competitor
    Snap a pic going into your ESC please

Snap a pic going into your ESC please
    Which system do you have?
    Here is a pic of my other sidewinder esc, if you have the mmp and need a pic I'll pull the truck down and take one for you.
    I dont have a better one of the wires right now.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Here are a couple pics I just took of my mmp 2400 setup.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by billy-bones; 11-30-2013 at 10:41 PM.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Just gear it up. As you increase the load on it the motor will pull harder. As you gear up, this motor will blow the vxl away as you gear up.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Competitor
    I have the sct 3800kv system. I was curious if the wiring was different but that's exactly how we have it done. Ill play with gearing to see if this thing will come to life. What batterys do you run? when 2s that is

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm

RC Champion
    The resistance in spinning the motor freely is normal. The Velineon is a 2-pole motor, the Castle is a 4-pole and that is what you feel when trying to rotate it.
    There is more torque in the Castle, you may need to tighten up your slipper a bit more to compensate for it over the Velineon and I think Castle likes you to use a 40c battery rating or more.

I run mainly 50c to 65c 2s lipos, I do however have a couple 30c 5300mah that never fail to impress me.
    Imo the c rating can be quite different from one company to another.
    Imo if you desire a great lipo at a great price as well, go spc and never look back.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by kwitty View Post
    The resistance in spinning the motor freely is normal. The Velineon is a 2-pole motor, the Castle is a 4-pole and that is what you feel when trying to rotate it.
    There is more torque in the Castle, you may need to tighten up your slipper a bit more to compensate for it over the Velineon and I think Castle likes you to use a 40c battery rating or more.
    When I bought my system I asked directly and they said 20c was more than enough for the 3800. If I were getting a MMP then 30c would be needed. Going to play with gearing and see if I can get this thing to wake up

20c with how many mah?

If it is a 5000 mah pack, 20c = 100 available continuous amps (5x20c=100amps).
    A 10,000 mah 20c pack = 200 available continuous amps.

The c rating is directly related to the capacity of the battery pack.

If castle customer support told you 20c was enough for 1 esc, and 30a for another esc, I would call back and ask someone else. If your local shop counter jockey told you that, I would not listen to him anymore. That person does not know what they are talking about. The amps the motor pulls is what determines what c rating is needed to feed that motor. The esc has nothing to do with it. A 3800 will crave the same amps, whether it is run through a mamba max pro, or sidewinder, or even a mamba monster or xo1 esc. The required c rating will not change because of using a different esc.

It is always better to have a battery that is rated higher than the amps that your system is rated to pull... Well higher. You do not want your pack discharging at its peak output all the time, just like running your full size cars engine at top rpms all the time will wear it out, and ultimately cause it to fail. Dont over work your battery. Running a 5000 mah 20c pack on a 3800 4 pole castle, will overwork that pack. Go with 40c+/4000mah+ packs...

30c x 5(000)=150a pushing it, but ok
    40c x 4(000)=160a is ok
    30c x 6(000)=180a good
    50c x 5(000)= 250a is great

A vxl motor can get away with 100a as it is a 2pole. The 4 pole 3800 is an amp hog and needs comparably much more juice.

Buy batteries from reputable companies. Search around the internet, and you will see what companies get the best reviews, over and over, and over and over...
    Last edited by rag6; 12-03-2013 at 03:52 AM.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the info Rag6. You mentioned SPC batterys earlier, are those roar approved? Our local shop carrys venom exclusively so thats what I bought.

RC Qualifier
    I don't see SPC on the ROAR list. My cynicism radar is telling me it's probably because SPC doesn't kick back in some way shape or form to ROAR like the "big brand names" do....but that's just my $.02.
    http://www.roarracing.com/approvals/lipobattery.php

Castle 3800kv SCT question

I think if you go here: http://www.lithipedia.org/ and select the Results tab, you'll see how the Venom 2S / 70C / 5300mAh (on the ROAR-approved list) tested.
    And you will see why ROAR approval means less than nothing to the vast majority of hobbyists.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-03-2013 at 07:26 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    How is that esc of yours mounted Billy?

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Which system do you have?
    Here is a pic of my other sidewinder esc, if you have the mmp and need a pic I'll pull the truck down and take one for you.
    I dont have a better one of the wires right now.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Here are a couple pics I just took of my mmp 2400 setup.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Competitor
    A piece of plastic bolted to the stock holes, esc is double sided taped to the plastic piece

A piece of plastic bolted to the stock holes, esc is double sided taped to the plastic piece
    Yes sir, the plastic piece is actually the piece that comes in the box with the velineon vx-L3 system.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by billy-bones; 12-03-2013 at 10:50 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Thank you for reminding me about that black piece in the velineon box billy. I have been using a piece of flimsy plastic that been getting on my nerves.

Quote Originally Posted by Next perce View Post
    How is that esc of yours mounted Billy?
    "Jedi Master"

RC Competitor
    Geared 23-86 and the thing is an animal, run temps around 120 degrees. How much warmer do I wanna be? And would I benefit from smaller pinion and spur?

Geared 23-86 and the thing is an animal, run temps around 120 degrees. How much warmer do I wanna be? And would I benefit from smaller pinion and spur?
    160 degrees is the said sweet spot for racers, I would assume as stated by tekin this is where a brush-less motor operates best.
    Its clear as to why a internal combustion motor requires a steady running temp and I doubt its anyway near as important to an rc motor but I can still understand a optimum running temp.
    Imo as long as its warming up a bit and not getting over 160* Its fine.
    I'm also told by many well versed rc people fans just cover up a problem, proper gearing is the correct way to approach an over heating motor.
    I use fans on my escs once in a while but rarely on my motors.
    A smaller pinion will decrease top-end but give more low end pull, with temps around 120* I wouldn't be concerned with going lower unless there's another reason.

PS.
    Your welcome RC Rev, I still dont know just what its there for unless we found it,lol.
    Perhaps someone will chime in and confirm or discredited this.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 12-06-2013 at 12:23 PM.

RC Competitor
    What gear set do you think I should try? Not looking for top speed but get up and go.

Stock gearing or a slightly bigger pinion is what you are after. Dont gear too slow, as you will lose a bit of "get up and go". The motor needs a load on it to develop torque. For kicks, I threw a castle 4600 on 2s into my e-savage. I geared waaaay down (about 15mph)to make sure the motor did not overheat. It was a turd and had no guts. I went up 3 teeth on the pinion and then it would wheelie-flip over on its roof, and on the slower gears, could not lift the front tires. Weird, but a brushless motor can get more torque by gearing up.

RC Competitor
    So 23/86 current. How much further.? 26/86? 83?

Try stock at first, and if you want more speed, go up 2 teeth at a time on the pinion until you get what you want 8)