RC Champion

Everything works - Just wont fly

I'm a noob to the quad world. Ran 3 batteries through the quad , and it flew very well. I was just starting to get good at it. Half way through the 3rd set the quad will not elevate. Everything is functioning - the blades are spinning, it throttles up and down, the quad responses to the flight stick it just wont come off the ground. If you hold it and accelerate and then let go it just de elevates to the ground.

I recharged the battery, check all 3 modes - novice, exp1 & exp2, Reset the transmitter to default, per the manual I did the Accelerometer Reset, installed the replacement blades A's for A's and B's for B's, scoured the manual and trouble shooting. The lights on the helicopter and the transmitter would indicate that the quad is not in LVD mode. I did see the LVD mode work on the previous batteries.

It just feels like the blades need to turn faster and they wont. I know on my truck R/Cs when the LVD is activated the truck goes half throttle, the LVD on this quad sends you a signal with blinking lights and beeping through the transmitter, so I don't think its the LVD acting up. Any suggestions are welcome I really don't want to have to send this back to Traxxas.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

Traxxas Employee
    Call Traxxas and they will step you through figuring out what is wrong.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Reed - Just to bring a smile to your face in times of RC frustration; if you can't get the new quad figured out please send it to me. I would love to have it and promise to provide a good home.

Traxxas Employee
    The blades will only spin as fast as the slowest motor because it wants to stay level above all else. This is why you cannot take off. You probably have one weak motor, bad bearing, or bad spur gear. When you find that one and replace it, the others will spin back up to their full potential.

To find out which motor is bad, put the Alias in Expert II mode and push it down on a level surface. Apply no more than about 5% throttle. Move the right stick to all four corners. One motor will sound bad or go slower than all the others.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Maxxdude View Post
    The blades will only spin as fast as the slowest motor because it wants to stay level above all else. This is why you cannot take off. You probably have one weak motor, bad bearing, or bad spur gear. When you find that one and replace it, the others will spin back up to their full potential.

To find out which motor is bad, put the Alias in Expert II mode and push it down on a level surface. Apply no more than about 5% throttle. Move the right stick to all four corners. One motor will sound bad or go slower than all the others.
    I knew all the motors were somehow interconnected. I noticed when I would hold the quad and give it full throttle and manually angle it front and back and to the side the motors would compensate to keep it level. I believe that is one of the functions of this quad in novice mode. I did notice that the right rear motor was not compensating as strong as the others and they all seemed to be weaker. So thanks for the advice E-Maxxdude. I'll call traxxas and see about getting the motors taken care of.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    Reed - Just to bring a smile to your face in times of RC frustration; if you can't get the new quad figured out please send it to me. I would love to have it and promise to provide a good home.
    Well when I get it all figured out and they way these quads are advancing now days I can probably fly it across the country and let you try it out so you can get one. Did you happen to see 60 minutes last nite, about Amazon and their drone delivery service to individual homes. It is something they are working on for in the future. One of these days the sky's going to be full of these drones. Maybe when I retire someday they will want to hire me as a pilot.

RC Racer
    That is so cool!
    MERV, Broken Alias.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BRICK57 View Post
    I knew all the motors were somehow interconnected. I noticed when I would hold the quad and give it full throttle and manually angle it front and back and to the side the motors would compensate to keep it level. I believe that is one of the functions of this quad in novice mode. I did notice that the right rear motor was not compensating as strong as the others and they all seemed to be weaker. So thanks for the advice E-Maxxdude. I'll call traxxas and see about getting the motors taken care of.
    Update: Called Traxxas and told them the problem and they said it was exactly what you said it was. They are sending me a new right rear motor and I ordered a set of 4 (two As and two Bs) as spares or if the one doesn't take care of it, Ill just replace all 4. The rep told me its very easy to replace the motors. It was one of the things Traxxas designed into this quad. I guess other quads are a real pain to replace motors. Ill update again when I get the motors.