Thread: Bearing Care?

RC Qualifier

Bearing Care?

Will Tri-flow be suitable for care of the Alias bearings? About how often is it recommended to oil them?
    Thanks
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks FD... guess i better do this, over 2 dozen flights now

It is not necessary to oil the bearings. We put hundreds of hours on bearings in all types of flying conditions (hot, cold, wet, dusty....name it) during testing and did not oil the bearings once. When the quads were retired after months of flying, the bearings were still free spinning. Although they were not 100% like new, they had very little resistance, were not gritty, and were fine for many more hours of use.

If you add oil, it will attract more dirt, causing you to need to clean them, then re-oil them after cleaning, only to clean them again soon after. You will force yourself into an unnecessary cycle.

The bearings come from the factory with a light coat of oil already on them. This is plenty sufficient for hundreds of flights with no maintenance.

However, I know that some people just have to oil things I am the same way in other respects. So, if you are that person that thinks you need oil anyway and feel like doing a lot more maintenance than necessary, I suggest you use Tri Flo. It is the best for this application. But always remember, less is more.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TRXse7en View Post
    It is not necessary to oil the bearings. We put hundreds of hours on bearings in all types of flying conditions (hot, cold, wet, dusty....name it) during testing and did not oil the bearings once. When the quads were retired after months of flying, the bearings were still free spinning. Although they were not 100% like new, they had very little resistance, were not gritty, and were fine for many more hours of use.

If you add oil, it will attract more dirt, causing you to need to clean them, then re-oil them after cleaning, only to clean them again soon after. You will force yourself into an unnecessary cycle.

The bearings come from the factory with a light coat of oil already on them. This is plenty sufficient for hundreds of flights with no maintenance.

However, I know that some people just have to oil things I am the same way in other respects. So, if you are that person that thinks you need oil anyway and feel like doing a lot more maintenance than necessary, I suggest you use Tri Flo. It is the best for this application. But always remember, less is more.
    thank you kindly... this is good news

That's one of the cool things about this hobby. So many people have so many ways of doing things, and some may work better than others for specific people. There are many many many variables that effect things like bearing life.

I have not found it necessary to oil the bearings on mine personally. When I do I usually just end up having to clean it again more quickly. That being said, if you want to oil them just be careful (like TRX said) and use a tiny bit of oil. The only time I've managed to kill a bearing is after a really nasty high-speed crash in Expert mode the likes of which would have decimated any of my other quads or helis. With Alias I swap one bearing and maybe a prop and am good to go...
    Last edited by TireSlinger; 12-12-2013 at 12:09 PM.

RC Qualifier
    my pattern is to actually to oil my bearings every 20-30 flights, and only with tri-flow, then clean and rotate them every 100 flights or so depending on which heli i am working with and how hard. i was just curious if Traxxas did something special with these bearings versus others? i never had a bearing fail following my habit of maintenance, or noticed an excessive build up of grime, but i am very meticulous with my helis and how i maintain them too though. thanks, it is great to know that if i decide not to, i dont have to with this one .

I have hundreds of flights on the same Alias and have never considered oiling the bearings. They are all the original bearings except for two of them which were physically broken from slamming into the concrete upside down at close to wide open throttle. I was flying in expert mode trying to perfect some new tricks! I should have been flying over grass. If you are the type of person that finds it rewarding to spend time working on and maintaining your Alias, then more power to you! The way I look at it, if you add up all the time and energy you would put into maintaining the bearings, it will far surpass the amount of time it would take you to simply swap out the bearings should that ever even be necessary. I think all of us that work at Traxxas have already proven to ourselves that the bearings will last a VERY long time with no maintenance whatsoever.