Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Project: Reaper

RC Champion
    Quick ebay search for (powerful waterproof servo) Heres one by savox. 277 oz torque @6 volts Not bad. Theres more check them out.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Savox-SW-121...item2c78d3aef8

RC Qualifier
    Okay thanks I don't really know much about servos, so what do you mean by 277 oz of torque @6v I understand the higher the torque to more twisting power but does that mean it has to have 6v of power supplied to it?
    The smartest person, asks the most questions...

RC Champion
    Heres a waterproof savox. 277oz torque @6 volts.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Savox-SW-121...item2c78d3aef8

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dann117elite View Post
    Okay thanks I don't really know much about servos, so what do you mean by 277 oz of torque @6v I understand the higher the torque to more twisting power but does that mean it has to have 6v of power supplied to it?
    No doesn't mean it has to have 6v going to it. Its rated at 4.8v and 6v so it doesn't appear to be one of the high voltage power hungary savox ones that sometimes cause glitching problems so it should work fine with the internal bec. I notice it does come with a glitchbuster though.
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 12-19-2013 at 03:52 PM.

RC Qualifier
    So the higher the torque would be better but the lower the volts is better... Cause you're saying They would use up a lot of battery power otherwise?

RC Champion
    I don't think theres an issue with the hv servos using up a lot of batt power but some of the high voltage servos rated for 7.4 volts can sometimes cause glitching problems when running them from the internal bec that only puts out around 5.5 volts
    The two stock servos together put out 250 oz of torque so you really don't want to go any less than that on an e-maxx.
    A little more is better for these heavy trucks and a single servo set up is the way to go imo. Then you don't have the problem of the two servos getting out of sinc and fighting each other.

RC Qualifier
    Okay thanks so I think I'm starting to understand if you were to get a higher voltage rate servo you need to get an external BEC so that it can provide the extra volts required by the servo? Would the 277@6v be good enough or should I get a stronger one

RC Qualifier
    I hear this one is water tight with O-rings and all what do you think http://hitecrcd.com/products/servos/...-servo/product

I got your PM Dann. I was restricted with the shock mounting when using the FLM towers. I switched to UE towers pretty quickly and am not restricted at all.

Nice looking build. I like the anodized parts. Not many people at all on this forum doing that.
    X-Maxx Max6 | EB48.3 | ET48.3 | Axial Grave Digger

RC Qualifier
    Okay thanks for the info, I'm sanding down the post a bit and they should be okay now... And Thanks, I definitely wanted this build to be my custom truck unlike any other, plus I think it looks better colored and as far as I know anodizing doesn't hurt the metal in any way so I'm happy

RC Qualifier
    So I'm thinking with going with the savox servo I like the strength of the hitec one but I'm a little worried it won't hold up to the wet winter conditions I drive through, I hope it'll hold up nicely though

RC Qualifier
    I run a WP Hitec servo on another RC I have and this will be the second winter for it. Haven't had a issue with it yet. I can check the servo number when I get home, but want to say it was rated around 300oz tq. Was used for some rock crawling too with no issues. And no external B.E.C. used either...
    MERV SV3/5700
    Slash MMP/2400
    Slayer Pro
    Spartan

RC Qualifier
    Okay thanks, if you seen the one I posted a link to, would that be a waterproof one? I've heard people say it is but it doesn't say anywhere in the description

RC Qualifier
    The stock WP Traxxas servos develop 75 oz/in per, I think, so a combined 150, which isn't bad. I want to say I got the 7945TH, which has 250 oz/in and .12 second transit time at 6V, and combined with added preload to the servo saver spring, the steering is very fast and responsive.

Do you truly need a waterproof-rated servo? I've taken my truck through some light snow (light compared to what others do here, but there was plenty), and wet roads after a storm; the servo has undoubtedly gotten wet but it's exhibited no trouble and I wouldn't anticipate any unless you're drowning the poor thing. The nice thing is most of the servo is shielded and maintained within the inner portion of the chassis with only the case top exposed.

RC Qualifier
    Well they do get wet, and in winter they get completely covered in snow, I could always try the hitec one... I was also thinking 2 of those savox servos would that be a bad idea?

RC Racer
    I dont think you will have any issues getting your servo covered in snow. As long as you dont drive your revo into a pool, lake, large body of water you will be fine. I would go with the hitec they are a better quality of servo. They do make brushless ones as well. In any case i would be more worried about your receiver getting wet

http://hitecrcd.com/products/servos/...-servo/product

RC Qualifier
    Hey AngryEVO8, if I get that servo in the link above will I be able to use it with the stock TRAXXAS receiver that came with my 3908 brushless edition or will in need something else like a BEC?

RC Qualifier
    I had once asked a friend of mine who went by 50TOGO what what was the best servo I could get for my emaxx 3908 brushless edition that would be plug and play with all stock components like my reciever,....let me ask you....what is the best servo you know of that would work for me? The one in two links above is more expensive than the one I was referred to.....so is that the best that will be plug and play?

RC Qualifier
    All im going to say with an Infraction already, is that I use the Traxxas 2075 servos and they have worked great...but I'd like to compare and contrast......the 2075 servos are waterproof.....that's what I like the most about them.....I do run on 6S with us over demanding with some stock components at times.......and I'd like to steer clear of troubleness situations........
    My teachers never like me....but innovation takes some optimism.......by the way....the stock replaceable plastic gears have also served me well as I've purchased many sets..., with my emaxx and my RC helicopters

RC Qualifier
    So running the mamba monster 2 I understand I have a max of 6.5 v output? Correct? Even though I'd love the get something like this http://hitecrcd.com/products/servos/...-servo/product I don't think I'll need that kinda power plus I don't wanna go over 6v so I'm thinking just sticking with this one http://hitecrcd.com/products/servos/...-servo/product what do you guys think

RC Qualifier
    Also can someone explain to me the understanding of servo voltage? Does the esc put out so many volts to power them? Does the voltage provided from the esc depend on the batteries? I just wanna know how it works, I understand the servos require so much power to work properly but what happens if you put a 7.4 v rated servo with an esc that can only put out 6.5 volts, will the servo still work just not to it's full potential

RC Racer
    Ok guys here goes.

i think the 7955TG is fine and have used many myself. It used to be the king of servos until hitec released others like the 7980, M7990 and others. As far as gear sets go lets just say that you would have to be doing something very special to break the gears in a Hitec titanium gear servo. I have never had any problems with them what so ever. I dont understand all this attention to waterproof. Your recievers arent water proof and if you want to go in the water get a boat. As far as normal bashing goes i have never killed a servo by getting it too wet. That being said if i see a massive puddle i drive around it so that i dont ruin my bearings every time i go out. But for all intensive purposes these servos will be fine.

Yes you can run them with the standard traxxas receiver. The only change you will need to make is the servo horn but they come with one anyway and you will have to set the steering up for center and so it drives straight.

Servo volatge is the max voltage the servo is rated to operate at. Normally the higher the voltage the more torque and faster speeds the servo will have. This information is normally written on the side of the packaging.

Now what happens if you put a 7.4V servo on a 6.5V set BEC? The servo will run a little slower and make a little less torque than what it would at 7.4V. In fact most servos will have a rating for either 4.8, 6.0 or 7.4 or all three.

RC Qualifier
    So what you're saying is even if I have a servo that can be rated for 7.4 volts but my BEC can only put out six it'll only run at the 6 V settings

RC Racer
    That is correct. If for example at 7.4V the servo is rated for 30kg at .17sec at 6.0V it will be rated for 22Kg and 0.19sec. If you want to run a 7.4V servo you can use an external bec. It is a seperate circuit that gets soldered to the main esc power in wires. It is still a BEC but because it doesnt have to fit inside the esc it can be a little lager, handle more amperage and is voltage adjustable.

If you choose to do this, (it is not needed) you will need to disconect the red wire on the ESC receiver plug.

RC Qualifier
    So doing a lot of reading and talking with people, thank you EMAXXBRUSHLESS and angryevo I've decided to go with the 7955 tg hitec servo now i just gotta wait for it to get here

RC Racer
    you wont be disapointed it is a really good servo

RC Qualifier
    That's good to know, thanks for the help... Ill will hopefully be able to start assembling my truck soon, just waiting on a few more things to come in the mail, fingers are crossed that its before Christmas

RC Champion
    Nice! Good choice mate. Also great job with all the annodizing. Looks awsome.

RC Qualifier
    happy holidays guys ......... for me Christmas came early this year, i got home Christmas eve and found these in the mail

Hardcore racing front, rear and center titanium skid plates i was so happy when i found these on ebay, to help protect them im using the rpm skid covers, i had to sand the front one down just a little for it to fit nicely

RC Qualifier
    my girlfriend bought me a new controller for Christmas, i can finally start enjoying 2.4 GHz it sure beats my old controller with the 3 ft long antenna. It sure turned out nice with the hold down nut adding just the right amount of green to keep the color scheme going.

i also sanded down the chassis a bit so that the bulks sit nice and flush

all of my parts are almost here, assembly will begin really soon and i cant wait to see my monster come alive, thanks for reading and ill keep you guys posted

RC Qualifier
    So doing some more work on my truck I installed the motor with 18 tooth pinion and my new Robinson racing 65 tooth spur, putting it together I was having some trouble trying to get the gears to mesh nicely and when I turned the truck on to try it out it kinda sounded ruogher then normal. Is this just cause the spur is new plus they're both metal gears? I tried spacing them out using a single piece of paper, just wondering if there's anything else I have to do or if I did it wrong?

RC Racer
    Metal on metal gears are noisier. For your own piece of mind, and because we arent there to hear your truck put the plastic gear back on with the same paper spacing method. If the sound goes away than you know its because its metal on metal. IF its still their than you know its something else. I got a small bit plastic wedged in a spur gear once and it took me ages to find it.

RC Qualifier
    Okay thanks I'll give that a try do you guys think it's alright to have a 65 tooth spur and 18 tooth pinion gear because when I was trying to align the motor with the spur gear it was hard to get the teeth to mesh nicely is this because they are both metal gears and brand-new so the teeth aren't worn in yet?

RC Qualifier
    Does anyone use high temperature silicone grease on the pinion and spur gears? Being both metal I'd imagine they'll heat up pretty fast during the run.

RC Qualifier
    hey guys so i need some help please, i just got my hitec servo in today and i don't really know how to set it up using just the one servo, i don't know which arm to attach to the servo ect, pics would be appreciated... also it doesn't line up that well with the holes on the stock chassis, has anyone else had this problem?

RC Enthusiast
    which one did you get? i have dua hitecs on my emaxx right now. here is a link to a vid i made of the set up. sweet build so far btw.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4SM...MjtU92oSVnZjGg just remove the servo that would only have one link.

RC Qualifier
    Single servo should be on right side.can you post some pictures of the servo over mounting holes.i remember my hitec servos being a little short.

RC Qualifier
    i went with the 7955 tg hitec servo, i guess ill need to pick up an aluminum servo arm so i can use regular screws to secure the linkage, i will post pictures of the holes not lining up perfectly shortly............. in other news i decided to apply some graphite power to my spur and pinion gears it helped quite them down a lot i also was able to get the teeth to mesh nicely just had to loosen the motor screws more and i recently ordered 3mm threaded brass inserts from tony's screws, im gonna use these in the stripped out bulkhead braces, they work very nice

RC Qualifier
    and i think you mean left side, when you flip the truck upside down its the right side
    here you can see the screws a little off center
    and here's a few more updated photos of my build, the greaser tool really helps with the bearing the transmission turns ultra smoothly now, i installed the brass inserts and they work great my truck is starting to look like a truck again

Last edited by Dann117elite; 01-06-2014 at 11:45 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Very crafty work,great setup for sure.I just measured traxxas and hitec servo tabs,hitec tabs are 1.5mm shorter.I just centered my servos and tightened them down.what drive shafts are you going to use?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast