RC poster

Question Rustler VXL issue

Hey guys,

I just bought a traxxas rustler vxl about a week ago. I was out playing around and heard a clicking sound and inspected it. Didnt notice anything wrong, then went to take off and it pulled hard to the left. When I was driving it back to me, I heard another click (pop) and then it completely stopped forward motion. I walked over to it and picked the back tires up off the ground and noticed that only the right side would spin under throttle and the left would spin occasionally as if it would catch and release a gear maybe? I brought it inside and tore it apart examining the gears and all looked fine. Took it back outside just to see if maybe taking it apart had changed something but no. Being as I am new to the sport and dont have much to go on, I thought it would be best to ask and see what others thought it could be or if someone had had the same problems. Any Ideas? Thanks in advance.

RC Competitor
    First check the nut on both rear wheels, make sure they tight. If thats not it then check your slipper make sure its tight. If neither of those correct the problem then I would say you need to open up the gear case and check the diff, bearings and pins inside the case.

RC Qualifier
    It sounds like your differential is bad. Just try to turn the yokes by hand. They should turn easily with very little resistance. If they don't, and you hear clicking, your gears inside your diff are bad. Maybe you chipped one of the diff gears? So you're gonna have to tear down the tranny and replace the sun and planet gears inside the diff, Traxxas Part #2382. Heck, they should've lasted alot longer though. Sucks since it's brand new.
    FLM RUSTY, FLM EMAXX, ERBE, SLASH PLATINUM 4X4

RC Champion
    Either the diff or the slipper shaft pin snapped, is there play on the spur gear? Does it move back and forth if ya pull and push on it, more than usual?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephan81 View Post
    Either the diff or the slipper shaft pin snapped, is there play on the spur gear? Does it move back and forth if ya pull and push on it, more than usual?

Completely overlooked the layshaft pin (slipper shaft). If the pin is missing, the wheels aren't gonna spin, since it won't engage the slipper hub. Obviously the motor shaft will turn, but not the wheels.

RC Competitor
    The diffs on these Rustlers are almost bullet proof. I would be astonished if you had a diff fail in less than a week. It has to be something easy, check everything to make sure its tight, all nuts and bolts. I had a wheel nut come loose once and it had the same symptoms as you described.

RC Champion

Rustler VXL issue

Quote Originally Posted by quantumreality View Post
    Completely overlooked the layshaft pin (slipper shaft). If the pin is missing, the wheels aren't gonna spin, since it won't engage the slipper hub. Obviously the motor shaft will turn, but not the wheels.
    I hear ya. I've sheared the pin about 6 times in my rusty, a few of those times I had slight movement and chirping/stuttering/clicking. The shaft and top gear are such a tight fit even when the pin goes sometimes you might still get some movement. I doubt it but like mentioned is it possible the rear hex is stripped on the wheel or not tightened down?

Interested to see what the problem is, make sure you let us know Tim.

Last edited by Stephan81; 12-12-2013 at 03:45 PM.

Yep, I'd put my money on broken/sheared input shaft pin

Part #3793
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

RC Qualifier
    I'm not saying this is the problem or the solution to Tim's clicking noise, but several years ago, I had clicking/ticking noise coming from my Pede, it sounded like it was coming from the tranny. When I pulled off the spur gear, I noticed that it was full of dust and tiny rocks that were wedged in between the teeth. I took a toothbrush and cleaner to it, and the clicking noise went away immediately, once I got it back up running. The littlest of things, that might be overlooked, can certainly make for the biggest headaches. Yeah Tim, when you isolate the problem, let us know. Good luck.

RC Racer
    I would say check the wheel hex and the rim of the wheel that is not spinning and see if the hex or the hole it sits in on the rim are stripped.
    Just a thought and someone that has had the pin break off can answer but if it still had a tight enough fit to turn the wheel wouldn't both be spinning?

RC poster
    I will be sure to check all of the problems listed above. I am at work tonight at wont be able to check into it until tomorrow. I do know that I have already checked the hex and the rim and they were both matching up with no play. I havent checked to see if there is play with the spur gear. When I broke it down I did look and inspected the gear and it didnt have any broken teeth or what I could tell any major wear. When we are referring to the slipper pin where would this be located? and also the input shaft pin be? Is that the shaft that runs throught the differential connecting both axles? Im sorry to sound like a newbie just trying to make sure I know what im looking for when I go tearing things down. Are both axles supposed to spin in sequence or is it not tied together? ie. when you spin the left wheel manually the right speel spins as well.
    Last edited by Tim1126; 12-12-2013 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Forgot wording

RC Racer
    The inputshaft pin is in side the tranny on the shaft that the spur turns there is a gear that pin is on the backside of that gear.
    The slipper pin is located behind the back plate of the slipper clutch, you would have to remove it when you tear down the tranny

RC poster
    So just so I have my information right, When I pull off the spur gear and the slipper clutch, the slipper pin is located directly behind that? The inputshaft pin is located on that same shaft just inside the tranny correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1126 View Post
    So just so I have my information right, When I pull off the spur gear and the slipper clutch, the slipper pin is located directly behind that? The inputshaft pin is located on that same shaft just inside the tranny correct?
    Correct...

The input shaft is also what the slipper connects to on the outer side of the trans, but the slipper just rides on a little loose pin like your wheel hex.

The roll pin is on the end of the input shaft, You have to yank the trans, open her up, the "roll pin" is on the end of that shaft. The top gear is pressed on to it if you will. Best bet is to buy a new input shaft, it comes with the pin installed. You'll have to remove your top gear and install on new shaft/pin.

Here is a pic of the top gear on the shaft, you can see the cut out where the roll pin is.

RC poster
    So is what I would need to look into buying if the roll pin is broken?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/231111760861?lpid=82

So is what I would need to look into buying if the roll pin is broken?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/231111760861?lpid=82

Yes part # 3793 as I stated in post #8

Now as long as all the obvious is intact (slipper adjusted, no stripped hexs, etc.) This is a good chance your problem, Why I say that is in your first post you said it lost all movment, but the wheels did spin when you lifted the rear end off the ground.

Which is a common sign/complaint when the pin shears, it's that sometimes the top gear is still somewhat tight enough on the shaft, that with no load on the drivetrain the tires will still spin.
    Last edited by dave00bear; 12-12-2013 at 07:11 PM. Reason: wording

RC poster
    Cool, I will be working on it a little tomorrow and see what I can find. I will report back and let everyone know.

Not sure if you seen it or have it saved, But heres the exploded view of the trans which might come in handy for you. Good luck and BTW welcome to the forums

http://www.hobbytownfresno.com/ho66y...0105_00001.jpg

RC poster
    I actually got that same picture that came with the car when I bought it but thank you and thanks.

RC Racer
    One last thing to check is to make sure the drive shafts are on correctly and that they are not stripped that is also a common problem.

RC poster
    What would I be looking for? What would be signs that they are stripped?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by luckybobb View Post
    One last thing to check is to make sure the drive shafts are on correctly and that they are not stripped that is also a common problem.
    I never heard of stripping out drive shafts , broken one , but never strip one out .
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Racer
    Mainly the yolks (the piece that connects the driveshaft to the tranny and wheel) i have an older rustler and they used to be plastic and would strip out from time to time until i changed them to metal ones.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by luckybobb View Post
    Mainly the yolks (the piece that connects the driveshaft to the tranny and wheel) i have an older rustler and they used to be plastic and would strip out from time to time until i changed them to metal ones.
    My rusty is a 1994 I bought it when they first came out and it's been a VXL the last 2 yrs and i only broke 1 drive shaft . I put the stampede 4x4 rear drives in and never had a problem since , but then I don't do alot of jumping or hard bashing , mostly hill climbing and beach running .
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rhardy60 View Post
    My rusty is a 1994 I bought it when they first came out and it's been a VXL the last 2 yrs and i only broke 1 drive shaft . I put the stampede 4x4 rear drives in and never had a problem since , but then I don't do alot of jumping or hard bashing , mostly hill climbing and beach running .
    The Slash 4x4 HD rear drive shafts, work great on Rustys. Traxxas 6852X

RC Champion
    Cool, I will be working on it a little tomorrow and see what I can find. I will report back and let everyone know.
    So tim1126 did u find what was wrong with it ? Hope it was a easy fix .
    1 Rusty VXL

RC poster

Rustler VXL issue

I just now had the chance to take it apart, I believe my only issue is I am missing part # 2754 (Stub Axle Pins) from behind the slipper clutch which I'm guessing is the slipper clutch pin. It isn't in the input shaft at all so I'm guess it must have come out. I will be getting one tomorrow and fixing it hopefully. Do that sound like what it could be? As in the only issue?

RC Champion
    I just now had the chance to take it apart, I believe my only issue is I am missing part # 2754 (Stub Axle Pins) from behind the slipper clutch which I'm guessing is the slipper clutch pin. It isn't in the input shaft at all so I'm guess it must have come out. I will be getting one tomorrow and fixing it hopefully. Do that sound like what it could be? As in the only issue?

I guess you'll find out after you put the pin back end . I never heard of any one losing the pin , braking them yes . At leased it's and fix .
    1 Rusty VXL

RC poster

Rustler VXL issue

So that wasn't it. After I installed the pin it still had the same symptomes. I replaces the pin and the input shaft. I then noticed the the pinion and spur both spin nicely, the wheels spin slowly when it's picked up off the ground but not with the force that it should. It's almost like it looses traction with the motor. It's it possible that it's something with the slipper clutch even though I haven't really messed with it? Other than to take it apart? The wheels also don't spin together. The right side will pick up speed slowly but never reach the speed it should, also the left has no action except a slow spin occasionally. Any ideas?

RC Champion
    Time to take the tranny apart and look at the pin inside , Like post 8 & 14 show the pin .
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Champion
    So that wasn't it. After I installed the pin it still had the same symptomes. I replaces the pin and the input shaft. I then noticed the the pinion and spur both spin nicely, the wheels spin slowly when it's picked up off the ground but not with the force that it should. It's almost like it looses traction with the motor. It's it possible that it's something with the slipper clutch even though I haven't really messed with it? Other than to take it apart? The wheels also don't spin together. The right side will pick up speed slowly but never reach the speed it should, also the left has no action except a slow spin occasionally. Any ideas?

So if I understand correctly you replaced the pin on the outside of the tranny where the spur gear sits on, and you also changed out and got a new shaft with roll pin as seen here from post 8 and still having issues?

RC poster
    No I didn't take the input shaft out and change it because when I took the transmission apart and looked at that pin it was still intact. I could see both pins on either side of the shaft exactly like post 14 shows. Even though I can see it could it still be an issue?

RC Champion
    Hmmmmm, open the Trans case again and open the diff up, check everything out in there specially the side that's not spinning. If the driveshafts are installed correctly and not missing the set screw and your slippers good to go, no stripped hexes and wheels etc... The only thing it could be is the diff. It's still clicking? Any chance ya can take a short vid?

RC poster
    I thought to begin with that it was the differential but wasn't sure due to the fact that people turned away from that idea. I will try to take a video when I get the chance

RC poster
    So I finally had a chance to dissassemble it again and this is what I found....

I replaced the differential and waiting for the battery to charge but I think that was it. Should be good to go now I'll respond and let everyone know for sure

RC Champion
    So how did it turn out Tim?