RC Racer

Fun while it lasted -- going, going, gone...

So that was great fun for awhile... I had it for exactly 8 days, before I lost it

No big deal glad its only $150...

I was flying it over a soccer field (which is right up against the Florida everglades) and wind was out of the East. I was flying West so I had a tailwind and the Alias was flying great, and getting a little higher than I realized. I reduced throttle and tried to fly it back to my direction, but this resulted in not enough power for forward progress, and the unit was still flying West even though I was commanding it to fly East.

I added power and this seemed to be bring it back towards me but now the unit was getting higher and higher.. And anytime I reduced the power started drifting away from me again. Eventually I could no longer determine its orientation relative to me, I tried using rudder (L stick) to rotate it until I could see the bright blue LED on the back, so I could then pull it towards me (it was dusk).. But it was already so far away the lights weren't even visible anymore. Then eventually I couldn't even see it at all anymore.. Bye bye alias..

Apparently its very difficult to get the Alias to descend into a headwind because you need the power to fight the wind.. which causes altitude to increase.

In any case the wind was too much for my poor little Alias, and despite my best efforts, I was unable to locate it..

Will have to pick up a new one and be more careful to keep it closer to me and to the ground when flying in windy conditions next time...

Q: I still have the transmitter so can I buy an Alias without a transmitter like a BNF to save some money?
    Last edited by Jerry1234; 12-20-2013 at 06:32 PM.

RC poster
    Ebay sellers are parting them out. So you can buy and put together. Not sure if cheaper or not, but you will figure it out. Don't see any bnf yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Jerry,

Did you have it in mode 1 or 2? When I'm outside, I always set it to stunt mode (2). I finally got outside yesterday since the snow melted enough to have dry spots to land. I'm sure you know this, but just in case, stunt mode can handle winds of over 10mph without much effort. Just don't get into the Jetstream, LOL!

RC Racer
    @BobbyB Good point. I was in mode 1. So from now on I'll use exp1 outside as it does give a lot more elevator authority ... I think Exp1 defaults to 70% or around there..

I've just picked up my new Alias. Green this time instead of Red. And I'm being much more careful and less brave with this one... Keeping it lower and closer this time. By the way I defiantly find the Red was easier to determine orientation on at night. The Green lights look too similar to the whiteish-blue lights.. The red was a better contrast. Think I'll order some Red lights/legs or whatever for it so I can make it Red. The store I bought it from this time only had Green..

Also interesting to note that this one came with the sticks pre-installed on the controller whereas my first one came with the pads pre-installed. I'm already used to the pads so I like them better. I just left this new controller in the box and I'm using my controller from my lost Alias.

Already tried the new one and it was windy today too in S. Fla. 110@ 12 gusting to 18.. My new strategy is to stand at the downwind end of where I'm flying and fly the Alias into the headwind. This way when the alias has a tailwind it will be coming towards me rather than going away from me. I was doing this backwards the day I lost my 1st one.

I also practiced some "emergency descents" by closing the throttle from 100 feet up or so then catching it with throttle before it gets too close to the ground. It is not affected by the wind as much when it's no longer flying so this method should work well if I have a similar situation again where I start to lose it. I think the key is just to employ this procedure sooner rather than later. As long as its still over or near my area and hasn't gone too far away-- if I start to lose it-- I'll close the throttle right away, then just "catch it" before touch down with throttle and let it touch down level but firmly. This way I should be able to prevent losing another one.

Does anyone have a better procedure for emergencies where you lose orientation and it gets too far away? Very strange to me, I'm a fixed wing airplane pilot, and this is much more difficult to me than flying a real aircraft. And in real aircraft we have a procedure for everything. A checklist for every emergency and phase of flight. I actually thought about taking my airplane over the Everglades around where I lost my 1st alias and trying to locate it- but at $7.48/gal for 100LL this was more expensive than just buying a new one lol.. But I have to admit that would have been a lot more fun. Especially if I actually located it..

Now if only I could get some spare batteries anytime soon! I found a 3.7V 500mah stick battery that works, but it's too thick to fit in the batt tray so I had to Velcro it to the bottom. I don't like that setup. I want extra stock batteries for it but everyone is out of sock...
    Last edited by Jerry1234; 12-21-2013 at 11:38 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I've lost a couple of choppers due to them getting away from me in heavy winds. What I have learned... is to always fly upwind. I fly at a local soccer field - and depending no winds .. will setup in different spots.

RC Qualifier
    Stampede Vxl Aton Summit

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jdoo View Post
    I've lost a couple of choppers due to them getting away from me in heavy winds. What I have learned... is to always fly upwind. I fly at a local soccer field - and depending no winds .. will setup in different spots.
    Yep... Thats what I've started doing now. And I use expert1 for more elevator control...

RC Qualifier
    Just wait for the camera option to come out for the Alias then you can go back to where you lost your red one and film the area and maybe find it!

RC poster
    ya the alias will fly in some pretty nasty winds for sure i live in ft myers FL. its been really windy here...try and get comfortable with the controls and don't panic and turn your rates up in exp1.. it will tear the wind up i love this quad i have over 130 flights on mine three motors have gone now but man i can't stop flying it day or night did a great job on this thing...

RC Qualifier
    You guys may want to write your phone number or email on the canopy, if someone finds it they can contact you

RC poster
    Hi Jerry,

I made a mistake by saying mode 2 when I should have said mode 1 as stunt mode. I'm not experienced enough for mode 2 with any confidence, since it turns the auto leveling off. However, your reply indicates the correct mode 1 for more authority in higher winds. I managed to get 6 extra batteries online, but after reading all the motor problems others are having. I usually fly indoors if it's below 40 degrees, and hear near Pittsburgh, it's rare this time of year. I don't use more than one pack, and then it waits for a full charged pack, meaning it's cooled down completely. I can fly it in mode 2 without any problems if I take it easy. It's similar to my MQX, but I don't dare try any manual stunts, yet that is. This wonderful quad will be my quad of choice outdoors for now. Can't wait for spring!