RC Qualifier

Advise for rebuilding the gear box

Anyone have tips for rebuilding the trans on the slash? What are the best bearings to use and what's the easiest way to make sure everything is shimmed enough without binding?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

Best bearings are Avid bearings, the are only $1 per bearing, and they are higher quality than the Traxxas bearings. I've had a full bearing kit in my Summit for a year without any issues. The easiest way to make sure everything is shimmed well is make sure you follow the exploded diagram so you aren't missing any of them.
    Manager at LHS ~7 Years. I've seen some stuff lol

RC Qualifier
    Ok, I was thinking about using avid bearings. I've always heard them being recommended because of their low cost, just wanted to make sure they also performed well.

Its tough to follow the exploded view when you have parts from strc, rrp, traxxas, avid and hot racing making up the gear box. I just thought someone might have a way to get everything tight without binding besides putting it together and taking it back apart to add or remove shims.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

RC Competitor
    Agree with Wolfslash on following the exploded diagrams. The aftermarket part should have the same dimentions as the original. Otherwise someone has done a bad job.
    Slash 2WD lcg Chuckworks & 2WD lcg Traxxas
    Summit

While you have it apart, clean everything up and make sure that everything that you are putting back is in good working order.

You DO NOT need a ton of grease, you just need enough to lightly coat the gears, the excess will just get cast off into the pockets of your tranny, it can effect performance if you put too much. I like AE Black Grease, it coats really well and stays on the gears.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Champion
    Depending how many times you have split the cases on your trans it is often a good idea to get a set of new cases, will give you better bite and more even pull when you carefully torque all the screws in.