RC Enthusiast

Lost another motor...

Motor #3 gave out yesterday. This is the third motor in 30 flights to die on my Alias. I replaced it, the bearings, shaft, and did a color change-out while I had it apart. Hoping that I don't lose any more motors. It would be expensive to replace these every few flights.

RC Racer
    That sucks! Mine burned out the same day I got it..... I was really looking forward to having fun with it this week. But nope.... I have to sit and wait for the part to even come back in stock.
    MERV, Broken Alias.

RC Racer
    I lost a motor today too! Only had it for 6 days! Not happy.

Call support at 1-888-TRAXXAS.
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

RC Racer
    Does an employee know when they will be back in stock? Mine burned out Christmas day so I called the next day. The support said they will send me a new one but they are currently out of stock. ANY estimate would be appreciated!
    MERV, Broken Alias.

We are looking at about a week on motors.
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

RC Racer
    Ok, thanks!
    MERV, Broken Alias.

RC Enthusiast
    4th replacement motor burned up last night. Called support (thanks NC). They issues an RMA, so I can send everything back to support. Hopefully, by the time they received everything, they have replacement motors and can diagnose what has been going wrong. I've replaced all the motors at least once (twice in a couple of instances), main shaft screws on two, and all bearings (8). No joy. I'm hopeful that they'll be able to get things buttoned up and running right again.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shocker View Post
    Just got off the phone with Traxxas , since they already had replaced the motors for me once ,and i was grateful of that. I guess i'm on my own from here ! is what i got out of the conversation we had....... not much more Traxxas can do until a different quality motor is made anyway ... So until then ....we is screwed
    Are you still flying the Alias with your dual battery mod? I just wonder why some people are having so many issues and others are not. The LHS my son works at has two Alias they fly several times a day as demos. Neither have lost a motor but one did break a spur gear in a crash.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

In fact there are many thousands of these helis in regular use already. The few very vocal people posting about motor failures do not mean it is an epidemic, as they would have you believe. The people with no issues are not posting here at all for the most part. The failures you have seen posted do not add up to anything dramatic in the overall picture. Of course if you are the one with motors failing that can be difficult to see. At some point we need to have the heli in our Repair Lab. If there is a problem with it they will certainly be able to replicate it and find the issue.
    Foghorn Leghorn

Quote Originally Posted by The Shocker View Post
    not much more Traxxas can do until a different quality motor is made anyway ... So until then ....we is screwed
    This is simply not something that has been said or implied by Traxxas. You have established your position in many different negative posts. Please desist.
    Foghorn Leghorn

RC Racer
    I have a question?????? Is there a resistor going to each motor? Maybe some times it is overpowering them which causes them to burn up.
    MERV, Broken Alias.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradens Traxxas View Post
    I have a question?????? Is there a resistor going to each motor? Maybe some times it is overpowering them which causes them to burn up.
    Look up "field-effect transistor" or FET for short.
    I'd explain it...but I can't.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    Ok, what size junction does it have?
    MERV, Broken Alias.

RC Racer
    I kind of doubt the given available power could burn out the motors.

I would like to pose the theory that the reason the motors are burning out is due to debris.

I think that the pinion and spur are generating a lot of contamination in direct prop wash into the holes on the motor can.
    A slightly bent shaft could cause the gears to start to self machine. A new motor with a new pinion on a worn spur could generate a lot of plastic dust as it works in, that could settle down around the brushes. That would explain why a few people with new motors are having failures so soon.

I'm not sure of a perfect solution. Completely blocking the holes would obviously contribute to motor heat. You'd need something breathable that wouldn't get caught on the motor shaft. I'm thinking a coffee filter possibly.

I am really starting to question how big of an issue the motors really are. I am not saying anything for sure in either direction clearly some have had some issues and I dont mean to discount them or their experiences. That being said the LHS my son works at has two Alias they fly daily has demos and have had no motor failures. Over the holiday season they sold 62 Alias and to date have had only one come back with a motor issue and it was admitted by the owner it was beat to death and abused. The same LHS has seen more broken spur gears then they have burned up motors.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    I kind of doubt the given available power could burn out the motors.

I would like to pose the theory that the reason the motors are burning out is due to debris.

I think that the pinion and spur are generating a lot of contamination in direct prop wash into the holes on the motor can.
    A slightly bent shaft could cause the gears to start to self machine. A new motor with a new pinion on a worn spur could generate a lot of plastic dust as it works in, that could settle down around the brushes. That would explain why a few people with new motors are having failures so soon.

I'm not sure of a perfect solution. Completely blocking the holes would obviously contribute to motor heat. You'd need something breathable that wouldn't get caught on the motor shaft. I'm thinking a coffee filter possibly.
    To me that sounds very correct..... I hope their is a way to tell for sure. I cant wait to fly my alias when the new motor comes, but I am scared i'll burn more up
    MERV, Broken Alias.

RC Enthusiast
    I also posted about two of my motors just frying themselves here. Seven replies and a lock. I can understand a single motor going at a random time, but two in the span of two weeks?

I'm going to see how long the other two last for. and if the other two go, i'm going to call traxxas every day about this. I paid hard-earned money for this quad. I expect a little more than this.

Speaking of temperature, I did a flight test while I had all four traxxas motors working. none of them reached over 86 degrees. So, they're not binding or being abused in any way. They are burning out for some other reason.
    Last edited by Sabin; 12-29-2013 at 12:08 AM.

RC poster
    I too have had a motor go out after about 40 flights. Called customer service, and they sent me a set of new motors. They also recommended replacing all four motors at once. Stating that replacing only one motor may cause premature failure of the remaining or new motor.

I am extremely satisfied with the customer service. I believe Traxxas will stand behind their product.

I own several other small helis and quads, and yet to replace a motor in any of them. Hopefully the failures some of us are experiencing is due to a bad batch and is corrected. I expect that a product from Traxxas would have been thoroughly tested.

I realize that these motors will not last forever, but I expected more the four weeks. As I cannot afford to buy a new sat of motors every month.

RC Enthusiast
    I too have had 4 motor go bad in less than 10 batteries. 2 after 6 flights and 2 after 9 flights. No crashes or debris or bent shafts. Traxxas replaced 2 and it took like three weeks to get but then other 2 failed. It's gonna get expensive if this keeps happening. Traxxas has had good support so far. I own many traxxas models and never even needed support until now. Their needs to be a brushless version in the future or better brushed motors. I took my bad motors apart just to see whats going on with mine and the brushes were almost non existent. Love, love this copter, and hope it was just a faulty first set. I realize brushless motors ware out but should most definatly last much longer than 10 flights with no damage or debris. I'm sure traxxas will fix the problem if their is one as this is a new product and ill just give it some time. I will continue to buy traxxas products. As I have hade no problems with all my other traxxas models.

RC Enthusiast
    From what I am experiencing the motors will only work as good as your weakest motor to some degree. Correct me if this is not suppose to happen. Thanks

RC poster
    I lost a motor with only 7 battery charges,way too soon. Called Traxxas and they said they would send me a replacement and a new spur gear for another motor that failed. Promised in 7 to 10 days. Hope they are good to their word.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ916 View Post
    From what I am experiencing the motors will only work as good as your weakest motor to some degree. Correct me if this is not suppose to happen. Thanks
    That's what happened to mine. The right rear motor would only turn at about 1/2 speed. I put on new propellers, re calibrated the transmitter etc etc. When i got in touch with Traxxas they told me the other 3 motors will only turn as fast as the bad one to keep the copter stable. It was really odd because everything felt like it was working fine, but it just could not turn fast enough to fly. I bought extra motors on top of the free one they sent me and have used all 4 of them.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by sfiery View Post
    I lost a motor with only 7 battery charges,way too soon. Called Traxxas and they said they would send me a replacement and a new spur gear for another motor that failed. Promised in 7 to 10 days. Hope they are good to their word.
    Traxxas support has always been first rate. my replacement was to me well within the 7 to 10 days, unless of course you are outside of the States. I have more Traxxas vehicles than I like to admit and they have all been really good. Hopefully they get this motor thing worked out, maybe some of us just got a bad batch of motors

Ok, I have a couple of questions for you Alias owners. When did you guys buy them? The reason I ask is my friend that had a motor go out after one day bought his Alias for Christmas in the first week they where out. But my friend that flies it like crazy all day long hasn't had any motor issues, and he bought his from our lhs Christmas week. I'm just wondering if it's the first batch off motors having issues? Just thinking out loud.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

RC Enthusiast
    I bought mine when they first came out. Didn't get to fly it until Christmas (since it was my present from my wife). It has 2 inside/hover flights on it, and two outside/go like mad flights on it at this point. Charging up for a third outside flight right now. Good to go at this point.

That said, I expect motors to go bad eventually. I've got more brands/models of RC aircraft than I care to admit including 10 quads, and have learned to stock up on motors so that I don't have to wait for motors to come in. I've got two sets of motors on hand for this bad boy atm.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Ok, I have a couple of questions for you Alias owners. When did you guys buy them? The reason I ask is my friend that had a motor go out after one day bought his Alias for Christmas in the first week they where out. But my friend that flies it like crazy all day long hasn't had any motor issues, and he bought his from our lhs Christmas week. I'm just wondering if it's the first batch off motors having issues? Just thinking out loud.
    Bought mine when they first came out. My first post with a motor problem was 12-1-13. I wandered if the first set of motors might not be up to par. It also appears to me that those of us that have had one bad motor are having multiple motor problems. I read on some other posts that some guys are having no issues at all.
    Last edited by BRICK57; 12-30-2013 at 03:13 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Just flew it with my #16 attached, no mods but simply attached with a rubber band and a small piece of foam between the cam and quad. It hovered at 38% and still moved pretty darn effortlessly. I definitely see FPV in this little guy's future.

(fifth flight/battery pack #5 to LVC)

RC Enthusiast
    Bought mine end of November sometime. 4 motors lost in 9 flights. Hope it was just a first batch issue.

RC Enthusiast
    I got mine two days after they hit the LHS, which was around the second half of November.

Keep in mind, i'm not some 14 year old kid mashing the controls and smacking it into every solid object. I also fly micro size warbirds (PZ p51d 'stang, PZ Polecat) medium scale 3d planes and 450 size helis. And the alias was a nice little craft to keep the thumbs going til the spring arrives. I also got to know how long these 8.5mm coreless motors can go for. The 8.5mm motors in the polecat is still going.. and i've had that for at least a year with a motor swap yet to be done.

So I'm not complaining for the sake of creating trouble. I'm simply trying to bring a legitimate concern to light.
    Last edited by Sabin; 12-30-2013 at 06:42 PM.

RC Racer
    My friend called traxxas to get three new motors for his alias. They said since he had three go out he would need to send it to them. An rma was issued. While on the phone he asked if the motors were in stock....... Support guy/employee replies: "yes".
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-30-2013 at 09:40 PM.
    MERV, Broken Alias.