Extreme pinion gear problem!

So trying to change the pinion on the velineon motor and it strips
    I think, okay I'll just drill it out.

That didn't work today

Right now as it sits the gear is grinded down, been drilled at for hours and im just really frustrated at the moment

So how should I go about fixing my problem
    Theres about 2 mm left of the grub screw but I can not get it out

I asked my dad to help but he said he was going to bed

So any suggestions?

Also I'm not sure if I should get my dad to help in the morning or wait until I go to the LHS later that day

Not really sure how to solve this
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Racer

Gear Puller

You need a gear puller. This is the first one I found with a quick search but there are less expensive ones available and your LHS might have one they could use to take you pinion off at low (or no) cost.

http://www.rcplanet.com/Great_Planes...p/gpmr2410.htm

RC Qualifier
    Did you use loctite on your grub screw? If so, hopefully it wasn't red loctite. Red loctite doesn't breakdown until it reaches 500 degrees. Have you tried heating it until the metal sweats, then try to pull it. You usually have to heat it for about 35-45 seconds. Heat it with a small torch or lighter. If heating it doesn't work, then use a pinion puller, or you can always cut it off, but that's a real pain.
    Last edited by quantumreality; 01-05-2014 at 02:32 AM.
    FLM RUSTY, FLM EMAXX, ERBE, SLASH PLATINUM 4X4

RC Champion
    Make sure you are using a good quality drill bit. You need a cobalt or case hardend bit. The grub screws are made from hardend steel so you need a bit that's harder than they are. Once you get the correct drill bit it will be easy. Go to your Ho Depot and get a 3/32 Cobalt drill bit and you will be in business.

RC Racer
    If the pinion is already trashed. Use a dremel with a small sanding drum and grind down and through the grub screw. Just be careful and don't cut into the motor shaft.

Goat

RC Racer
    I always take a pair of side cutters. Put something behind it and pry the pinion off.
    Works everytime. Even one the other day that was cranked down tighter than I had ever tightened one.

I was having problems with screw comming loose....so I said ...I will fix that...tighened screw down with blue loctite...well when trying to remove it...it stripped....I thought. .oh uh...I don't know if the cutters will be able to pry this one off?...it did

Quote Originally Posted by quantumreality View Post
    Did you use loctite on your grub screw? If so, hopefully it wasn't red loctite. Red loctite doesn't breakdown until it reaches 500 degrees. Have you tried heating it until the metal sweats, then try to pull it. You usually have to heat it for about 35-45 seconds. Heat it with a small torch or lighter. If heating it doesn't work, then use a pinion puller, or you can always cut it off, but that's a real pain.
    It was blue locktite luckily LOL if it was red id be in trouble

Did you get the pinion off?
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

If you haven't already, I would invest in a quality set of hex drivers, to prevent stripping another screw.
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

I agree a quality hex driver set will keep this from happening in the future.

For now IMO the best way is a grinding stone in a Dremel or like tool and just grind away at the pinion around the grub screw until it falls off. Every time I have had to do this for me or someone else the pinion has fallen off before I got too close to the motor shaft. Just go slow and be patient.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

The pinion gear came off with the help of my dad, LOL it took him like two minutes

He got it off by putting the transmission in the clamp, grabbing two blade screwdrivers and popping it off

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    The pinion gear came off with the help of my dad, LOL it took him like two minutes

He got it off by putting the transmission in the clamp, grabbing two blade screwdrivers and popping it off
    That's what dads are for. The can figure out just about anything, that seems to frustrate their children, using the simplest approach. Glad he got it off. Cheers!!!
    FLM RUSTY, FLM EMAXX, ERBE, SLASH PLATINUM 4X4

RC Competitor
    I stripped mine out a couple of weeks ago. All I did was get a big flathead screwdriver and popped off with little resistance