Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

It's sleeting. In Pensacola, FL. SLEET. Everybody Panic!!!

Got up this morning to fly my new quad (not an Alias, sorry Traxxas) and it was sleeting! And it is again.

I'm not flying my quad in this, not flying my planes, and while the Pedes and Slash could handle it, this warm weather pirate can't. I guess I'm stuck flying my indoor helis today.

Sleet! I bet the local groceries had a run on milk and bread.
    I like to pretend I know what I'm talking about.

RC Champion
    dang, I bet you people are freaking out, sounds like a fun show lol

RC Racer
    Right, lol? Granted the farthest north I've ever lived is North Carolina and that's still the South to many of ya'll but living down here cracks me up. Not today, but a couple weeks ago they closed the schools because it was cold. 20 degrees, no precipitation. And they closed the schools. Too funny.

RC Champion
    haha the last storm here they canceled schhol cause they though we were gonna get hammered with snow and I think I counted 12 snow flakes so is it me or the people in charge of schools worse than the kids, they need to go back to school lol

We don't even blink an eye at that. I bet the whole state is in a panic, complete mayhem is setting in and people are looting stores.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    haha that's too funny

Traxxas Employee
    Haha! I completely understand! Down here in Texas we don't get much snow, and when we do it is the same thing. No one knows how to handle it. I just go hauling with my Summit =)

RC Champion
    just wondering even though it would happen, but if there was a storm, you would get crazy money if you had a plow cause how many people own a plow in texas lol

RC Qualifier
    They canceled school cause it was 20 Degrees!? I think it is fun driving to school when it is 0 Degrees out and I am drifting all of the corners in my Dad's little pickup!! Granted that I am not drifting on purpose, but the fact that it is a 2wd Pickup with no weight at all in the back. Hahaha!!
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Champion
    haha my mom smacked me cause I picked up my lil bro and everyone that my truck was awesome and kept looking, so I did a burn out and got the truck sideways in the school parking lot. I cant drive him to or from school now

It hasn't been 20F in weeks... we even had school when it was 25 BELOW for a few weeks straight.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Champion
    ohh my god, I would freeze, especially since our schools are too cheap for good heaters, but im home schooled

RC Racer
    4:28 pm. Desperation and panic are rampant. There is a little old lady across the street wrapping herself in McDonald's cups to keep warm, but that could just be the hypothermia setting in.

A stray dog across the way was sacrificed to keep a cat warm - Han Solo on Hoth style.

Traffic is gridlocked - the crowd just flipped over a Cooper Mini and are attempting to set it on fire.

I heard a report that there was a riot in the sock section at Walmart.

With sunset only about 40 minutes away I expect morale to deteriorate rapidly. It's going all the way down to 33 tonight. I'm cold, so very cold... Can't type much longer... Hold on Martha... I'm coming home... So

Cold. This may be my final report.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    4:28 pm. Desperation and panic are rampant. There is a little old lady across the street wrapping herself in McDonald's cups to keep warm, but that could just be the hypothermia setting in.

A stray dog across the way was sacrificed to keep a cat warm - Han Solo on Hoth style.

Traffic is gridlocked - the crowd just flipped over a Cooper Mini and are attempting to set it on fire.

I heard a report that there was a riot in the sock section at Walmart.

With sunset only about 40 minutes away I expect morale to deteriorate rapidly. It's going all the way down to 33 tonight. I'm cold, so very cold... Can't type much longer... Hold on Martha... I'm coming home... So

Cold. This may be my final report.
    haha that just made my day thanks for the laughs pirate

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger9 View Post
    ohh my god, I would freeze, especially since our schools are too cheap for good heaters, but im home schooled
    There was one time a few year ago before I went to my high school that during 10 Degree weather, the heaters broke and stopped working. Our Principle made them go to school for one day during that week, and everybody though it was funny that they could see their breathe in the class room!! Hahaha
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    Aw come on man!! We got -40*F and we have school with broken heaters 30* is pants and a sweatshirt weather 3' of snow is a light load. 100 miles north (where I snowmobile) has close to 12 feet!!! People literally build a canopy over the walkway from the house to the garage!!! It's sooo funny in the summer

The wheather here is supposed to be -10 with -45 wind chill. The busses supposedly wont start below -12. 20 degrees?!? Sign me up for that!!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger9 View Post
    haha that just made my day thanks for the laughs pirate
    Most welcome. I was really bored at work. I had the Slash and a Pede in my truck and almost starting running them up and down the aisles. Almost. Decided to get creative instead.

But man it's cold. I don't know how you Yankee types stand it.

Good heaters. Heavy coats. And hiding inside! Where I live I get the worst of both places. -45 with wind and snow to 120 in the shade with high humidity and drought.

RC poster
    It did sleet in South Texas too!

Welcome to the forums tyler!

RC Champion
    At least you guys are getting precipitation, hasn't rained since mid-december here
    Slash 4x4 LCG+(rolling)HCG, Slash 2wd(raptor)

RC Enthusiast
    I'm a little further south in Florida our weather can't coordinate precipitation with cold temperatures. It rains with 50 degree weather one day the next day its 20 degrees, then the next day it's back up to 50 raining then the next night its low 20's.

RC Qualifier
    Up here where I live in Oregon, I usually mostly wear pants and a sweatshirt during the winter and all through summer. I think the hottest last summer was 105 degrees and the coldest this winter was 0 Degrees. Sweatshirts work for all seasons!! Lol

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Tapatalk
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Racer

Me and my big mouth.

So today we are expecting honest to goodness accumulation. I guess I angered Jack Frost by mocking him last week.

Granted many of you scoff at ice accumulations of 1/10 to 1 inch but here it's a huge deal. The local infrastructure just isn't able to deal with it. I've got to cross two major bridges, one across water, and several minor ones to get to work. Based on the forecast I'm not worried about getting there, I'm worried about getting home tonight. So much so I might close my store early so I can get off the roads before sunset.

Having lived where frozen stuff was not unusual I respect it but I'm not scared of it. What I am scared of is all the locals who've never seen it. "Ohh look! The road is black and shiny, let's go fast on it and see what happens."

Wish me luck, lol.

Traxxas Marshal
    Good luck!

My goal when driving in adverse conditions is to simply try and avoid everyone and stay out of large groups of vehicles (if I can). Too many people think that they're invincible and that their poorly-functioning 4WD (or AWD) SUV with bald tires is the most capable vehicle on the road.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-28-2014 at 09:03 AM.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Racer
    That.

AWD means diddly when you lose traction.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    is the most capable vehicle on the road.
    But I thought that was my Honda Civic 5-speed!

People up here in Ohio can drive decently on the roads.
    God is good.

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by ithrowstones View Post
    But I thought that was my Honda Civic 5-speed!
    With snow tires, those little FWD cars go great in the snow. Several years back, I had a daily 84 mile commute--one way--and I did it in a 2004 Honda Civic LX Coupe (AT) with Firestone Winterforce tires on all four corners. That car was very surefooted on snow-covered roads, and it always got me to my destination in some very adverse conditions. I might be a Ford guy, but I'll always have a special place in my heart for that little Civic.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-28-2014 at 02:58 PM.

Very true with any vehicle... fit the tires to the terrain and it will handle much, much better.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

Traxxas Marshal
    Fair enough, but I'd always take a front engine, front drive vehicle over a front engine, rear drive vehicle for driving in snowy conditions. Of course, 4WD with snow tires would be my ultimate preference.

RC Qualifier
    Yes the FWD cars do good in the snow. However, I do not have snow tires on. The only vehicle we have that has snow tires all around (or any snow tires) is one of our 4WD trucks.

I'm a Ford guy as well, but I do like the little civic. Mines a 1998 Lx 4-door version.

I agree with Jimmy.
    God is good.

RC Racer
    It's been a bad winter all over for driving, I'm a truck driver and my run takes me from Saskatoon, SK to Clarinda, IA every week, seems I run into bad ice every week this winter, temperature changes as much as 80 degrees in one day doesn't help either, I like it when it's nice and cold, colder it is the better the roads are, that's the problem down south when you guys get snow, it's a different kind of snow and ice than we get up here, normally it's cold enough up here that if it snows it just blows off the road, weird year tho, we had 40 degrees on Saturday and by Sunday morning it was -40, all the snow and ice here is like concrete now, can't even run the R/C's anymore, I'll be glad when summer comes, good luck getting home and hope everyone is ok today, heard on the radio all the southern states are getting record low temps, stuff I'm use to but I get that if it's not something you are prepared for it could suck.

And for snowy driving I prefer this, lol

RC Racer
    Well we closed our stores early and I'm home. The trees and power lines are already icing up pretty well but so far the roads are just wet. It's going to be a mess in the morning. They are pre sanding the bridges, for whatever good that will do. We don't have spreader trucks here so it's literally two or three guys with shovels and a truck bed full of sand. I feel for them.

CHKMATE. Nice truck! One of the reasons I had to go in this morning was to meet our driver to unload.

It's cold, the dogs and I are going to huddle up on the couch and take a nap.

RC Qualifier
    taken from the internet, Atlanta didn't handle the weather very well
    I like turtles.

RC Champion
    Hey pirate, I'm over here in Biloxi MS, not too far from u. Its been shut down here too. I have a trex500 and a few planes I'd like to fly also. My emaxx and rally will most likely get some runtime tomorrow in all the snow/ice. Rare for around here. We had the kids riding a garbage can lid behind the 4 wheeler earlier
    Merv, Sl4sh, P4de, Embe, Slash
    2400/2200/4000kv

RC Racer
    Mebert: My brother lives in Atlanta. That's an UGLY traffic map!

DR J: That's awesome! Last time we had snow we used a plastic kiddie pool in the same fashion.

I really wish my son was with me but he's with his mom today. I hope he gets to have fun. On the plus side he's got snow. Here it's just ice everywhere.

I've got LiPo's charging as I type for the Slash and P2de. The iced road should be a blast. If the wind will lay down I might fly my 180qx and try to get some aerial shots of the ice.

We haven't made the official call to close our stores yet but there's no way I'm driving an an hour to Pensacola in this so I'm hoping for a great bashing day.
    Last edited by pirate; 01-29-2014 at 08:30 AM.

RC Racer
    I made a short video of my dogs in the ice. Hope you enjoy:

RC Qualifier
    You guys down south, is it really as bad as the news portrays it? Having kids sleep in schools and in school busses and such because the roads are "too bad" ?
    God is good.

RC Racer
    Not this far south but I've been hearing from friends and family in Birmingham and Atlanta. Yeah, it sounds really that bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast