RC Champion

Need help picking motor and breaking my infinite thought loop

Hello,

My Slash 4x4 has been on the shelf since last year and I want to try to get back into the hobby. All I do is bash as there are no tracks around me, so keep that in mind. The only things left stock on the truck are possibly the center/front/rear drive shafts (and I already know there will be arguments about upgrading those).

Currently, I have a Tenshock SC401 3500kv (I'm not really sure how much I can trust that motor as actually being 3500kv) mated to a Hobbywing WP SC8 120A ESC . This setup isn't horrible, but I think I could do better. I currently have two 2S and one 3S batteries. If I recall to last spring, I think I have the motor geared to about 160F and the ESC maybe 130F's on 2S (Maybe 15 pinion and 54 spur?).

I'm looking for suggestions on either keeping the currently installed motor or using one of the two others I have but have never installed:
    • Losi/Castle 2800kv
    • Castle 3800kv

Looking for input. I know, I could just throw one of the motors in there and give a go -- that's where my infinite thought loop has kept me from doing so.
    I'm in Louisiana, so heat is just about always an issue. Research looks like I can run the 2800kv on 3S or the 3800kv on 2S. Not sure what direction to go, so I'm looking to recruit some more brainpower to walk me through it. Please let me know if you need more information to participate in the overcomplicated, simple task.
    / 16

I personally love the 2400 motor. Out of the two motors that you have I would have to choose the 2800 motor. I have read it is close in performance to the 2400.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    IMO the 2800 is no fun on 2s. If you gear for torque it's slow. If you gear for speed torque is lacking. On 3s and 4s, however, it is great!
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I personally love the 2400 motor. Out of the two motors that you have I would have to choose the 2800 motor. I have read it is close in performance to the 2400.
    Pulled the 3500kv and went to drop in the 2800kv. Unfortunately the ESC is in the way. Will I need a new RX box for the front of the chassis? If so, which one is that I need?
    / 16

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    IMO the 2800 is no fun on 2s. If you gear for torque it's slow. If you gear for speed torque is lacking. On 3s and 4s, however, it is great!
    Really?! I think the biggest pinion I have is a 17. Have you personally run that motor on 2S and 3S?
    / 16

RC Champion
    It's the Stampede Receiver Box TRX3628.
    Erevo
    Slash 4x4 x2
    MAXX coming soon...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by summitbasher240 View Post
    It's the Stampede Receiver Box TRX3628.
    Thanks! Charging my 3S now. I might tape the ESC sideways temporarily to see how the motor works. Any suggestions for pinions I should look at picking up? As I mentioned, 17 is my largest as it stands. Will that be a good test for that 2800 on 3S?
    / 16

Quote Originally Posted by jrmbtr View Post
    Really?! I think the biggest pinion I have is a 17. Have you personally run that motor on 2S and 3S?
    Yeah I run the losi 2800 with an xo1 esc in my hcg mt. I run it geared 15/50. On 3s and 4s it's a beast. I run it with 5.1" 2.8 badlands. I've run it on 2s and it's not much fun to me. You could, however, run ALIKE 2s packs in series as 4s.

RC Champion
    Did a few passes in my driveway 17/54 and 3S. I noticed before running one of my tires had unglued so I knew it would be short. Once my slipper heated up it was very fast! It was pretty hard to get traction.
    / 16

Did a few passes in my driveway 17/54 and 3S. I noticed before running one of my tires had unglued so I knew it would be short. Once my slipper heated up it was very fast! It was pretty hard to get traction.
    You might want to tighten your slipper clutch a little bit if you have to wait for it to warm up. It should work right off the bat. You might want to service the slipper so it will work it's best.

RC Champion
    You might want to tighten your slipper clutch a little bit if you have to wait for it to warm up. It should work right off the bat. You might want to service the slipper so it will work it's best.
    I have the Revo pads on. From what I learned of the mod on here, it is common for them to need to warm up a bit to bite.
    / 16

Oh ok. I have never had a Revo slipped in any of my trucks. Sorry about that, just trying to be helpful. May I ask why you went with a Revo slipper?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    I've had the losi 2800kv in my slash 4x4 geared 12/40 mod 1, equivalent to 16/54 32p, worked great on 3 and 4s.
    I also have that motor in my losi scte and race it with 2s and it's fast on the track, slightly outruns one of my friends vxl slash's 4x4 geared 13/54 on 2s.
    I can pull away from him out of a slow corner and outrun him on the straight.

3s is hard on the stock rear axles and 4s will twist them or snap the u joint.
    Last edited by Zepher; 02-09-2014 at 09:15 AM.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Champion
    I have the Revo pads on. From what I learned of the mod on here, it is common for them to need to warm up a bit to bite.
    The slipper should be tight enough not to slip during acceleration. It's designed to ease the shock load to the drivetrain when landing with throttle.
    If you keep letting it slip, it's going to glaze up the slipper disc and and not grip anymore.

The Revo happens to have a larger slipper assembly since it is a larger heavier vehicle.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Champion
    Oh ok. I have never had a Revo slipped in any of my trucks. Sorry about that, just trying to be helpful. May I ask why you went with a Revo slipper?
    Just at the advice of the forum. I'm only using the Revo HD pads though, not the whole assembly. From what I've read the whole assembly could possibly warp so I used just the pads on the stock slipper. It seemed to be a pretty popular upgrade 12-18 months ago. Not sure if it's still widely done or not.
    / 16

Quote Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
    I've had the losi 2800kv in my slash 4x4 geared 12/40 mod 1, equivalent to 16/54 32p, worked great on 3 and 4s.
    I also have that motor in my losi scte and race it with 2s and it's fast on the track, slightly outruns one of my friends vxl slash's 4x4 geared 13/54 on 2s.
    I can pull away from him out of a slow corner and outrun him on the straight.

3s is hard on the stock rear axles and 4s will twist them or snap the u joint.
    I get bored with the 3500 on 2s too lol.