RC Competitor

new stuff for alias

hi, you may already know this but i was told yesterday from support team
    that a camera is almost ready to go to market for the alias.

also was told that there were going to be more so-called " exciting" options
    to go with the quad. from what i gathered, it was a big secret, they might
    be manufacturing a FPV goggle to go along with the camera. that would be cool!

anyone else heard this?

RC Champion
    no[e haven't heard, but would be insanely awsome

hi, you may already know this but i was told yesterday from support team
    that a camera is almost ready to go to market for the alias.

also was told that there were going to be more so-called " exciting" options
    to go with the quad. from what i gathered, it was a big secret, they might
    be manufacturing a FPV goggle to go along with the camera. that would be cool!

anyone else heard this?
    This is news to us! Any more info?
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 02-07-2014 at 08:23 PM.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

RC Qualifier
    Looking forward to a camera option.
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 02-07-2014 at 08:27 PM.
    Stampede Vxl Aton Summit

This thread has seen some trolling removed and other posts that commented on the trolling cleaned up. Let's keep it on topic please
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer

new stuff for alias

Really? I can't wait!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to be freaking out waiting for them to come out!
    MERV, Broken Alias.

RC Enthusiast
    camera? gimme!

RC Competitor
    I`M excited too! looking forward to "what`s next". i have an idea, how about a goggle that is actually a
    binocular that would make seeing a small quad easier far away?

RC Racer
    Ha ha, good idea. I really am hoping for fpv goggles. Traxxas would hit it big time!
    MERV, Broken Alias.

RC Competitor
    Whats a "FPV goggle" and what would it do?

Video piloting. It lets the operator see as if he were in the vehicle.

It's not a concern here because both the weight and the power drain of a camera and extra radio transmitter would make this accessory unfeasible.

IMO
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post

It's not a concern here because both the weight and the power drain of a camera and extra radio transmitter would make this accessory unfeasible.

IMO
    I agree with that sadly. I hope the camera is good however.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post

IMO
    Too heavy?? I guess I'll take my 808 #16 cam/boscam tx5823 fpv combo (27.8g) that I've been using off my Alias then.

BTW, it also works with a Mobius Actioncam/boscam tx5823 combo, just a somewhat reduced flight time due to the weight of the Actioncam.
    Last edited by Ssayer; 02-10-2014 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ssayer View Post
    Too heavy?? I guess I'll take my 808 #16 cam/boscam tx5823 fpv combo (27.8g) that I've been using off my Alias then.

BTW, it also works with a Mobius Actioncam/boscam tx5823 combo, just a somewhat reduced flight time due to the weight of the Actioncam.
    What are the flight times?

RC Enthusiast
    Remembering that temps here have been in the single digit range for way too long, about 6-1/2 minutes without and about 5 minutes with, on my couple of attempts outside. If I weren't just so darn antsy to give it a try, there is no way I'd have even given it a couple of tries (I haven't chanced any of my other stuff outside...). What we need is for that old thermometer to kick up some to get some real times (Paging Al Gore!)

BTW, the FPV equipment weighs as much as five (5) Alias motors, just to give a common (to Alias owners) example of weight.

RC Enthusiast
    Yep, I tested it out on my 3rd or 4th indoor flight to see what I could cobble together with it. The Alias lifted, and would hover with, 92g.

AND, I do have some other thoughts for reducing weight. Losing a battery, replacing it with a regulator (I have a couple here somewhere in my war chest) will do it. Just need time.

Traxxas could do way better than me, I'm sure.

Now if I only had a 3d Printer...
    Last edited by Ssayer; 02-10-2014 at 11:27 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Whats the point of this whole fpv system if the motor would just die in like a week. Itll probably be even faster because the camera will be heavier and if you use it alot the motor would be dead fast.

I have two Alias quadcopters. I got the first one December 19 and the next a couple weeks later. So far I have replaced two motors. I can't really say they "failed". More like I fly the thing so much and abuse it so greatly that I just plain wore them out.

The problem with an FPV system (for ME) is that by the time I got it to fly where and how I wanted it to, my flight time would be reduced to the point where doing anything really interesting would not be possible. YMMV.

RC Enthusiast
    To me, the whole point here is that what works for one person might not even fit into the radar of another.

I'm not a crash or even a "light crash" type flyer. While I will show off now and then, it is not how I normally like to fly. The whole ftp with cam thing for me came when I got my first quad with an HD cam. While I really enjoy(ed) it, I never knew exactly where it was pointing (up/down and left/right come into the pic pretty quick), and it simply didn't have the power to add anything on. So, I'd send it up, point it where I thought I wanted to see, and then bring it in and see what it got and grab whatever pics looked promising. With FPV, I can actually point it at the area I want to grab a pic from. While more time would be great, it's surprising how little time is actually needed now to get "that" shot.

As to the quip about replacing motors... Motors are part of the "toy" quad hobby, like it or not. I've not had to replace one on the Alias yet, but I'm sure I'll need to eventually (or else I wouldn't have bought two sets of spare motors right off). On another forum (RCG) where multiple quads are discussed all the time, it's easy to see that the need to replace motors on most of these small quads is debated all the time. Usually the ones crying the most have the fewest posts (and usually their only 2,3, or 4 posts are them decrying that someone (not them) needs to be responsible for replacing stuff when it breaks from only a "light crash" by them...).
    Last edited by Ssayer; 02-10-2014 at 03:54 PM.

For those who want to make every thread a podium for their motor-bashing and complaining, you should take a minute and think if you really want to go down that path. Let's keep these threads on-topic.

RC Enthusiast
    Ssayer, equating those issues to "just part of the hobby" is simplistic at best. Some of us have been in the hobby long enough to understand the general longevity of parts.

With that said, I'm hoping the new camera will be as good as the Mobious action camera. Personally, I'd like to see some footage taken off the Alias camera before it hits the market.

RC Qualifier
    why not remove the battery from the alias and put a larger battery (That powers the accessory and the alias) in the accessory? Wouldn't that solve the issue.
    Traxxas please sell kits!

Bigger batteries weigh more and could throw off the balance. More weight means more power necessary to fly which demands more from the battery. So the flight time may remain the same.
    The Super Derecho

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Bigger batteries weigh more and could throw off the balance. More weight means more power necessary to fly which demands more from the battery. So the flight time may remain the same.
    Personally I just keep a few extra batteries close by and swap them when the transmitter starts to beep. Battery swaps are so quick and easy I just don't see the benefit of the extra weight.

RC poster
    Count me in.

I would love this to be my first FPV quad. I just hope they make it light weight.

Cheers.