Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 1/16 Mini Emaxx

RC Qualifier
    Test fit of the four lower A-arms. And the slightly redesigned center skid plate. New upper A-arms and new shock tower mounts are currently in process.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Champion
    This is so sweet
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Qualifier
    Test fit of the Upper A-arms and the new Aluminum carriers. The Upper A-Arms still need to be shaped and sanded to their final shape and have the slots for the Shocks cut the rest of the way out. This is to just test the overall fitment to the Bulkheads and the length to verify the lowers and uppers match up correctly.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Qualifier
    This is a fantastic build I really hope Traxxas is taking notes I not even into 1/16th scale and you've got me drooling. Keep up the awesome work and keep the vids and pics coming will be watching this.

RC Champion
    When are your new tires coming? I really want to see them mounted on that truck.

RC Qualifier
    Look what just arrived in the mail today! Curtosy of Pro-line!! These Big Joe II 2.2 tires are fantastic and are exactly what this build needed. Now I just have to complete the build to get them mounted up! I posted a couple pics to compare the size difference between the trenchers and the Big Joe II's. As you can see they are not even close. Together they will increase the overall width of the vehicle approx 1"!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Champion
    Wow those are huge compared to the trenchers, good thing you are running a big block motor.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by revoman78 View Post
    Wow those are huge compared to the trenchers, good thing you are running a big block motor.
    Yes there def is a big size difference, what surprised me was that they do not feel like there's a real weight difference. I don't foresee any issues with running the stock gearing and the castle system. These tires were designed around the summit and that gearing set up, so I would recommend lowering your gearing if you are going to run these on the mini e-revo but the improved off road capabilities should be immense, and with a 1" increase in width of the vehicle it should become much more stable. I've attached a couple more pics to show the size difference between the stock merv tire, trenchers, and the Big Joe II's.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Aspengt; 04-30-2014 at 04:53 AM.

RC poster
    Looking awesome.... I'm big on bolt together swap modding (I'm turning my mini slash into a summit/merv hybrid), but this really makes me with I had time and a shop to actually make parts..... How do the new big Joe's look on it?

RC Qualifier
    Ok, so its been a little since that last actual build update. No new pictures right now, but I hope to have some more progress tonight and some pictures to accompany the next update.

Currently the chassis has been dismantled and was in a dye bath for approximately 4 hours yesterday with very disappointing results. I did add the vinegar and salt to the water but it so far has not turned black, it is still in the brown phase. Picking up more vinegar and dye tonight and giving it a second attempt.

The new toe links and the existing stock aluminum pieces have gone through the de-anodizing process and are now all silver, the Upper A-arms now have the shock holes completely cut out and are 80% shaped. The shock tower supports have been cut out and drilled; I am going to use to original shock towers from the prototype mini maxx for the time being as I am working on a way to cut them out of aluminum. The bumper mounts have been modified to allow them to be lower and closer into the body.

I have figured out over this past weekend that since I have built new pieces for about 90% of the original truck, I now have almost enough for two mini maxx’s. Just not sure what I am going to do with the original one as I don’t have enough of the stock merv pieces to complete the build and I don’t have an extra motor and ESC for it either.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Aspengt View Post
    Ok, so its been a little since that last actual build update. No new pictures right now, but I hope to have some more progress tonight and some pictures to accompany the next update.

Currently the chassis has been dismantled and was in a dye bath for approximately 4 hours yesterday with very disappointing results. I did add the vinegar and salt to the water but it so far has not turned black, it is still in the brown phase. Picking up more vinegar and dye tonight and giving it a second attempt.

The new toe links and the existing stock aluminum pieces have gone through the de-anodizing process and are now all silver, the Upper A-arms now have the shock holes completely cut out and are 80% shaped. The shock tower supports have been cut out and drilled; I am going to use to original shock towers from the prototype mini maxx for the time being as I am working on a way to cut them out of aluminum. The bumper mounts have been modified to allow them to be lower and closer into the body.

I have figured out over this past weekend that since I have built new pieces for about 90% of the original truck, I now have almost enough for two mini maxx’s. Just not sure what I am going to do with the original one as I don’t have enough of the stock merv pieces to complete the build and I don’t have an extra motor and ESC for it either.
    I know what to do with the other one!! Give it too me. With all kidding aside this is the coolest hand built truck.

RC poster
    I have figured out over this past weekend that since I have built new pieces for about 90% of the original truck, I now have almost enough for two mini maxxís. Just not sure what I am going to do with the original one as I donít have enough of the stock merv pieces to complete the build and I donít have an extra motor and ESC for it either.
    We'll have to run soon, weather is nice and my weekends have been less busy so I'm ready, we probably need to find a new location. I'll take the spares off you and convert my MERV, which seems to collect more dust on the shelf then outside.
    Last edited by bagdkota2000; 05-08-2014 at 11:22 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Aspengt, again great craftsmanship! Man your really putting in the hours on this project. Maybe you should just get a job with Traxxas engineering department.

Say I was looking at the set up, what do you think about taking the rear knuckles and putting the toe links inboard, to protect them? Not a big deal seeing as most people don't smash into things full throttle in reverse, but.... Just a thought.

Is the wheelbase on your Mini-E longer than a 1/16 Summit?
    Last edited by USA1; 05-08-2014 at 04:02 PM.
    Those who forfeit liberty 4 security get neither

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bagdkota2000 View Post
    We'll have to run soon, weather is nice and my weekends have been less busy so I'm ready, we probably need to find a new location. I'll take the spares off you and convert my MERV, which seems to collect more dust on the shelf then outside.
    The prototype pieces are all yours. You will have a couple of pieces left to build but not that many. I'm busy up until Memorial Day weekend.

RC poster
    The prototype pieces are all yours. You will have a couple of pieces left to build but not that many. I'm busy up until Memorial Day weekend.
    I'm away Memorial day weekend but we'll set something up after that...why aren't we just texting instead of on a forum haha.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by USA1 View Post
    Aspengt, again great craftsmanship! Man your really putting in the hours on this project. Maybe you should just get a job with Traxxas engineering department.

Say I was looking at the set up, what do you think about taking the rear knuckles and putting the toe links inboard, to protect them? Not a big deal seeing as most people don't smash into things full throttle in reverse, but.... Just a thought.

Is the wheelbase on your Mini-E longer than a 1/16 Summit?

Thank you, it is taking a lot of time but so far I am happy with it. I just can't wait to get out and run it.

As for moving the toe links inboard, I think they would be better protected being in the back, because as you are going forward there's more of a chance something would come up and hit them. And like you said it's not very often you drive around full throttle in reverse. But I really like the ideas and suggestions! Keep them coming!

Honestly I'm not sure if this has the same or longer wheelbase then the summit. I believe it's very close. I can measure once it's all together.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah your right it wouldn't be better. Maybe get really crazy and make True-Track arms/knuckles like RPMs.

RC Qualifier
    Finally have some new pics. Test fitting the suspension pieces, finally startimg to look like an actual truck again. The Big Joe 2.2s look fantastic on it.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

This truck looks AMAZING. I am speechless, you do great craftsmanship. This is honestly the TRUE build.

RC Qualifier
    I hate to be a thorn in such an awesome build but it looked like you had a tenbol mount paired with a stock 380 motor tranny plate. This will bend.from the weight n torque of your new motor. If its not keep on trucking, if it is just pick up the plate.for the brushed motor its much thicker. You can get the whole set up if you want it to be closed off. I know you are doing this for.self.satisfaction but it would.be nice to see a #traxxas rep chime in and give you formal credit where credit is due. Plenty of employ/moderators on these pages.
    Modded to the Max
    Drive it like its Hot

RC Qualifier
    Does the blue aluminum plate that helps hold the gear case together, and strengthen the a-arms not work in the rear?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrmerv76 View Post
    I hate to be a thorn in such an awesome build but it looked like you had a tenbol mount paired with a stock 380 motor tranny plate. This will bend.from the weight n torque of your new motor. If its not keep on trucking, if it is just pick up the plate.for the brushed motor its much thicker. You can get the whole set up if you want it to be closed off. I know you are doing this for.self.satisfaction but it would.be nice to see a #traxxas rep chime in and give you formal credit where credit is due. Plenty of employ/moderators on these pages.
    Thats not being a thorn. Thats great advice as I was unaware that this could be an issue. I would like to keep it enclosed so I will def get the complete set. Thanks!

As for the people at traxxas I too am a little dissappointed that I have not seen a post from them. But none the less I am more then greatful for everyone who has posted to this thread. It makes it a lot more fun and gives me a lot of motivation to keep moving forward on it.

So thank you again to all of you who have posted. Keep the questions and suggestions coming!

RC Qualifier
    Does the blue aluminum plate that helps hold the gear case together, and strengthen the a-arms not work in the rear?
    Yes it works in the rear, I just didnt put it on for the test fit because I can not find it anywhere. I have new ones arriving today.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah right near the end of Sassy Chassis hay day, the guy that took over the business was making these awesome one piece hinge pins. For the now vintage Kyosho USA-1 electric. Basically it was a single bent hinge pin that replaced the left and right upper, or lower a-arm hinge pins with one piece. Strengthening the whole gear case.

RC Qualifier
    Couple new changes to the build.

In order to have the truck sit level I had to cut a new rear shock tower 3/16 of an inch higher then the front due to the chassis layout. I have also changed the rear shock tower brace to allow me to move the toe links to the outside of the rear bulkhead brace. The new mounting system ties the entire section together and covers the toe link ends. This set will require the use of the adjustable toe links to be able to gain the additional length that you could not achieve with the stock plastic units. The toe links did fit in the factory location but were too close to the lower rear shock mounting screw. This change has noeffect on how everything works

Next up is to test fit the drive shafts to the trans to make sure there is no rubbing on the chassis with all the changes that have been made. Polishing of the aluminum parts, and wet sanding the nylon plastic pieces to the final shape.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

RC Racer
    simply mind blowing build!

RC Qualifier
    Yeah your right it wouldn't be better. Maybe get really crazy and make True-Track arms/knuckles like RPMs.
    That's a great idea! I've started to look into that and may have a good way to make that work. Maybe I'll add this onto the next build. Mini Maxx v3.

RC Qualifier
    ok when u start Mini Maxx v3 ill take mini maxx v2 off ur hands lol
    Extended P2de and Mini Summit

RC Qualifier
    A quick test fit of all major components.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Enthusiast
    Looks awesome! Like everyone else, I want to see it in action

RC Qualifier
    It looks sweet!! I agree with jmlora!! let us see it!! You should post it up on prolines readers rides. I think you would win!!

RC Racer
    very nice work! Looking forward to the final product and some running vids.

RC Qualifier

I started off this project at the end of February and did not anticipate it evolving into an undertaking of this size. With the addition of the Big Joe II 2.2’s along with the desperado wheels and Ford Raptor body not only does this 1/16 scale have the look of the Monster Truck, it’s performance is superb. I have used the Trencher tires on most of my other builds and I have become very fond of them, their performance and handling are top notch. But the new Big Joes for the 2.2’s are just amazing. They dramatically change the appearance of the truck with their shear size and the traction and overall handling characteristics are as good if not better then the Trencher tires. The people at Pro-Line definitely now what they are doing when it comes to making great products! They do require a little bit of a break in period once installed as the first couple of runs they seemed a little stiffer then anticipated and the truck had a tendency to bounce around a bit, but once they were driven for a short while their ability to absorb impacts and their handling performance is incredible. The Pro-Line Raptor body has been painted with Florescent orange paint and backed with black to tone the overall color down; on the hood and the bed area I have added Automotive Carbon fiber film, I am very happy with the outcome of this body and it’s a perfect fit for this build.

“Hopefully Pro-Line is working on the new Dodge Ram body for the mini”

I am working on the video next and have ordered the traxxas brushed motor plate per the recommendation of Mrmerv76.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Champion
    (trying to find words to describe this beauty)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by revoman78 View Post
    (trying to find words to describe this beauty)
    Yup. I might not sell my 1/16s after all....
    People Eating Tasty Animals

RC Qualifier
    As requested! Here are the comparison pics of my full size E-maxx and the Mini Maxx.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [

RC Qualifier
    Great job!!!! it really looks like all the hard work paid off. You got some running vids?

RC Enthusiast
    That's pretty awesome. Well done!

RC Enthusiast
    Nice job dude! I hope the traxxas employees are taking notes!

RC Qualifier
    Thank you everyone! I am working on a creating a good running video now, only have a few clips so far. Still recruiting for a camera person.

Unfortunately I havent heard a thing from Traxxas, no comments at all. Very disappointing. (Still holding on to a little hope though)
    But Pro-Line however did and provided me with the Big Joe II's desparado wheels and new Raptor body! So a huge thanks goes out to them!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast