RC Competitor

Slash, Part Duex...

Well I have been wanting a new vehicle for awhile now. Been torn between the Slash 2ws and Slash 4x4. Went to the hobby store today and walked out with a Slash 2wd. Also bought some Slingshot tires, Mohawk tires and rims. Havent drove it yet, been gluing tires up and now its dark.

Now I need to decide if I want to get the Velineon or Castle Sidewinder 3. Any opinions on either of these systems???

RC Qualifier
    I've raced with the Velineon for two seasons so far and I have no complaints. You get awesome Traxxas customer service, and plus it is fully waterproof. So far I've only rebuilt my motor twice, and my ESC hasn't had a single hiccup. Plus, it runs with all the other guys with more expensive systems.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC Qualifier
    More torque n Less heat problems with castle. Velineon no slouch tho.
    "Jedi Master"

RC Competitor
    Bandit, are you running lipos? If so what mah and what are your run times like? I am more of a basher nowadays since the local track closed 3 years ago and the next closest track is 100 miles away

RC Qualifier
    I have an SPC 2s 5000 mAh. Getting done with a 50 lap main of a fairly large dirt oval results in temps around the 150 degree range. I can usually finish that race and then go on for another 15-20 laps, depending on how hard I get on the throttle. I also have a Onyx 3s 4000 mAh strictly for on-road use, and those are up to around 160 in summer temps after around 10 passes of my street. I usually get a long driving time when driving on-road, but I typically like to give the electronics a break, as I do with all my cars running high-powered batteries.
    Last edited by BanditTransit; 02-22-2014 at 10:51 PM.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC Competitor
    Upgrades I am thinking of...
    GTR shocks from the 4X4 slash
    Brushless system
    Some aluminum stuff. I have had aluminum steering rack, front caster blocks, steering arms and rear bearing holders in their original boxes for 5 years, just never used them.
    Possibly LCG chassis

RC Qualifier
    I have the Traxxas aluminum front castor blocks for my 2wd, no complaints at all. Pretty amazing looking, and do their job exceptionally well. I got some new shock caps I need to put on tomorrow, but other than that, the truck is basically stock.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC Competitor
    I can ALWAYS use more bodies. Thinking I need a Baja Bug body for the Slash and Revo to match the E-Maxx
    EMaxx 3903 / Revo 3.3 5309 / Slash 2wd 58034

RC Qualifier
    What is your goal with the power system? Warp speed? Good all around? Racing? There are a lot of brushless choices out there, literally a system that's perfect for almost every application.

RC Competitor
    I am not looking for Warp Speed #9. I think the Velineon or Castle Sidewinder 3 will be more than enough with a 3800kv motor. I really dont want to run 3S lipo, 2S will be enough. I have watched enough YouTube videos and it seems like the guys running 3S just wheelie constantly, that really not fun for me since anyone can pull a trigger and go straight. I like to actually drive a R/C car where I want IT to go, not where IT wants to go.

RC Qualifier
    Try a sensored system- they have much smoother throttle control. You can get a very nice setup for less than $200.

RC Competitor
    I ended up ordering the Castle Sidewinder 3 with 5700kv motor for it, should be here end of the week. Thinking I should need around a 12-14 tooth pinion, gonna have to dig into the parts box...
    5700kv on 7.4v is equal to the Velineon 3800K on 11.1v. LOL Gonna be fast, might have to do some editing to drive profile with the computer.

RC Qualifier

Slash, Part Duex...

Quote Originally Posted by nitrousmouse View Post
    I ended up ordering the Castle Sidewinder 3 with 5700kv motor for it, should be here end of the week. Thinking I should need around a 12-14 tooth pinion, gonna have to dig into the parts box...
    5700kv on 7.4v is equal to the Velineon 3800K on 11.1v. LOL Gonna be fast, might have to do some editing to drive profile with the computer.
    IMO, to try and get the speed you're wanting with the 5700kv motor you're going to be battling a lot of heat issues. The Castle 3800 SCT combo is much better suited for a short course truck, for speed runs I've geared mine 28/83 with a 3s lipo and gone 64mph. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by dontlift19 View Post
    IMO, to try and get the speed you're wanting with the 5700kv motor you're going to be battling a lot of heat issues. The Castle 3800 SCT combo is much better suited for a short course truck, for speed runs I've geared mine 28/83 with a 3s lipo and gone 64mph. Just my 2 cents.
    I agree, the 5700 is imo to high strung for the heavy slash, it will push the truck fine but once you gear it to stay cool the 3800 with a far more versatile gearing range imo may have been a better choice, but there is nothing wrong with the 5700kv either but it will be hard to keep cool on a track.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Competitor
    I wont be racing, nearest track is almost 100 miles away. I am just bashing around the yard and out in the street in front of my house. I am going to gear it low, I found a 13 tooth pinion in my box, should work good with the stock spur gear on 8200mah SPC 2S lipo. Yes/No?

Quote Originally Posted by nitrousmouse View Post
    I wont be racing, nearest track is almost 100 miles away. I am just bashing around the yard and out in the street in front of my house. I am going to gear it low, I found a 13 tooth pinion in my box, should work good with the stock spur gear on 8200mah SPC 2S lipo. Yes/No?
    A few folks run those higher kv motors with great luck and it is a castle 4 pole.
    I ran a 4600 for a bit but finally settled on a 3800 in one 2wd and a 2400 550 can in the other.
    I think you'll have a lot of fun bashing around with your new system.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    Oooh... The 5700kv had a crap ton of heat issues. My friend had that same motor for an on-road Rusty and he has had it up to 220 degrees from minimal passing. Even with a motor fan on it he still had overheating issues on pretty reasonable gearing. He just blew the motor up yesterday actually.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL