RC Racer

Few questions about Alias before buying

I haven't pulled the trigger on this quad yet because i have a few concerns. Iv read allot people having motors fail early. i have seen a youtube video of some guy removing a sticker that covers the vent holes on bottom of the motor then removing the rubber feet to alow better airflow, but he has not updated any news if this makes any differance or not yet. I do know he gone threw 15 motors in 3 months, that is just crazy thats over 100 bucks in motors. I have also heard people modding a wl v959 motor to fit as they are allot cheaper but no idea how they perform in the alias. Has anyone tried any of these mods to confirm better motor life ?
    Traxxas should just make a brushless version with bigger battery. i bet it would be a huge seller. Of all the quad copters on market the alias is by far the sexiest looking one there is with the worst possible motors =\

RC poster
    When I bought mine around xmas time I had seen reports about bad motors. I thought yeah stuff like that happens. But now I have realized that the motors do not work for more than a few flights. I was promised replacement motors but still have not gotten any. I went ahead and bought some online but they also went out pretty much right away. It is a super fun quad when it works that is for sure, and am sure the people at La trax are sick of people posting about the motor issue but it is what it is.
    Jim

RC poster
    I was preparing to buy this quad, but like many others I got frozen with so many battery issues.
    I saw a few posts regarding this problem, but the last one was closed by a moderator (I think) and this was the statement:

"This is simply not the place for ranting and complaining. We dont mind you voicing an opinion but voicing it over and over again in every thread turns into Traxxas bashing. This forum is for support of the product and for members to help each other and to enhance the enjoyment of the products. If you want to complain endlessly this is not the place for it nor is it the place for you to unjustly criticize the Marshals or Traxxas employees for setting and enforcing the rules you agreed to follow. Traxxas provides other platforms for that kind of debate as stated this is simply not that place"

I don't know Traxxas (just "discover" this quad during the weekend) but I'm interested to follow this issue. If this is not the right place to get answers to this reported issue, please let us now what are the other platforms provided by Traxxas where we can debate this battery issues.
    Like I said, I'm new to Traxxas, I saw some impressive videos, specially with strong winds but I cannot afford to replace motors in Europe if the problem is not related with the way I fly a quad (4 motors cost me 76 USD shipped to Portugal, if they are not out of stock).
    Last edited by quim831; 02-24-2014 at 09:12 AM.

It is really hard as a hobbyist to know just how bad or good the motor situation is because no matter how much we look at the situation we really only see a limited amount of cases and usually only hear one side of the story. I have had motor failures but I got a good 30+ flights in before the first one and I had many hard crashes in those 30+ flights. I also received a Blade QX just a week before my Alias and it had motor failure before my Alias did. Let's face it guys brushed motors wear out and if it is not rebuild able the only option is to replace it. My GUESS is the motor failure rate is higher than Traxxas wants and they will silently do a rolling upgrade on the motor. Another possibility is they got a bad batch of motors and of course some of the failures are likely caused by the user crashing the Alias.

For what it is worth I have killed 2 LaTrax motors and one from the WL Toys V959. Traxxas sent me 4 new motors and they have been installed in my Alias and probably logged 20 flights so far with out a hitch. IMO the motor problems will fade away and we will have a durable, fun to fly Quad that is very reasonably priced.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    My GUESS is the motor failure rate is higher than Traxxas wants and they will silently do a rolling upgrade on the motor. Another possibility is they got a bad batch of motors and of course some of the failures are likely caused by the user crashing the Alias.
    Still a little understated, but that's as reasonable a comment as I've ever seen from a marshal. You guys take a lot of grief for something that isn't your fault. If you ever do hear about a motor reliability upgrade, will you be allowed to tell us?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1 View Post
    Still a little understated, but that's as reasonable a comment as I've ever seen from a marshal. You guys take a lot of grief for something that isn't your fault. If you ever do hear about a motor reliability upgrade, will you be allowed to tell us?
    Has Guest Marshals we do not receive inside information such as this so if we are made aware of any changes it will be public knowledge.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Compared to micro quads, obviously the Alias is a lot more difficult to fly indoors because it is larger. Take it into a gym though and it will really shine. I found it also needed some adjustment out of the box. I set aileron to 70% and yaw to 75% and now its really controllable.

I also have had great luck with the v959 motors so far. All I had to do was solder the wires together matching the positive colors and ground is blue to black. Very easy.

All in all a very fun quad when you have space to open it up. If you're flying in a small space primarily, the QR1 would be a better choice.

RC Racer
    So the v959 motors do work, thats pretty kewl. has anybody tried to simply repair the brushes on broken motors ? Anyway i was looking at another new quad called eye one extreme, it has brushless motors on it and is little bit cheaper, but the design is so bland and ugly it looks like a egg with a couple sticks poking out of it and the radio is not as nice as the alias. I think im gonna go ahead and buy the alias if the v959 motors do work at least i have a cheap option to fix it until a better official motor is released by traxxas

RC Racer
    Order placed, guess ill know in few days how this bird flys

RC Racer
    Was going to comment. Changed my mind. Traxxas will do what Traxxas will do.
    Last edited by Jerry1234; 02-24-2014 at 01:39 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Turdpeterson View Post
    you will love it. I got mine on 2/14 and have been running a few packs every day since then. It has been perfect for me.
    Traxxas please sell kits!

RC Racer
    shipped today, looking forward to it.

RC Racer
    How about a Super Alias Extreme with 4 VXL Velineon 3500 Motors and some 3s lipos, actually never mind that probably would kill somebody.

RC Racer
    It's flies awesome. Don't land hard on concrete - actually just don't land hard period. In my opinion that is one thing that is guaranteed to kill a motor. Happened to me twice already. They don't like shock. Oddly if you crash it seems fine. My problems have all been when landing in level attitude at a high descent rate. And remember to chop the throttle on any type of crash..

But it's a blast. If you don't like it let me know and I'll buy it off you.

RC Racer
    How about a Super Alias Extreme with 4 VXL Velineon 3500 Motors and some 3s lipos, actually never mind that probably would kill somebody.
    Ya probably! Lol!!!!!
    MERV, Broken Alias.

RC Racer
    Iv decided when i get it im going to do a gentle break in, not gonna fly the first battery just let run at slow speed. then after that first few flights will be easy relaxed flights no flips or anything, and going to land it on a pillow and baby it, also every flight will be recorded on my 60fps 1080p camera from first to last untill something breaks. alias documentary in the works

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by always_late View Post
    is there a video on how-to do the v959 motors? i would have to buy a soldering gun as well.
    Its pretty simple. You need a soldering iron, not a gun, that operates right around ~30 watts. These are small gauge wires and too much heat will be bad.
    I would start by practicing on some thin wire to get it figured out. A Helping Hand is also very helpful when soldering. Its two alligator clips on a stand that help you hold the wires. The person at your LHS will be able to help you find these things.

Now that you have everything you need, cut the Alias wires the same length from the motors of the v959 motors. Then cut the connectors off the v959 motors. Then strip about 5mm of the wire on both ends, so now you have a Traxxas connector with a longer length of wire and the 959 motor with the short length.

Now put the two wires on to of each other. You can use your helping hand to do this. Hold the iron underneath the two wires, and take your solder and dab it on the top. Only put on enough to hold the wires together. Then you're done, 7 more to go!

I soldered mine red to red, white to white, and blue to black for all 4. Good luck!

RC Racer
    I would recommend that you don't make even length cuts to the wires. Cut one longer, one shorter so the solder joints don't wind up side by side. Safer, slimmer, might not even need insulation depending on what the joints can touch.

Also, I solder a little differently. I heavy-tin each piece and then just melt them together with no extra solder. That's probably only an advantage when you get something that proves hard to get to take solder. Happens sometimes.

Lastly, there's another motor out there, Chaoli. Unlike the 959, it matches the Alias for power. There's work going on to make it a plug and play Alias replacement, but it's not there yet.

RC Racer
    came today, 2 flights in so far so good. first battery didn't really fly it i just held it in my hand and ran it 25% throttle till it beeped, second flight just hovering trying to adjust trim to keep it from drifting. cant go outside yet its ranning today

I would suggest leaving the trims set at 0. If it is wondering try recalibrating the Accelerometers but if it is being flown indoors in a small room you may be drifting due to air currents in the room or ground effects from obstacles such as furniture and what not in the room.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

I would suggest leaving the trims set at 0. If it is wondering try recalibrating the Accelerometers but if it is being flown indoors in a small room you may be drifting due to air currents in the room or ground effects from obstacles such as furniture and what not in the room.
    Also make sure you're a ways off the ground. If your less than about 12 - 18 inches up you'll be in 'ground effect' and the quad will want to drift around. No real way to trim this out.

RC Racer
    nah it was about 5' off ground it always drift backwards, trim setting of 2 fixed it. but i will try the reset after work

nah it was about 5' off ground it always drift backwards, trim setting of 2 fixed it. but i will try the reset after work
    Make sure trims are at 0 before trying any resets.

RC Racer
    yup i saw that in the instructions

RC Racer
    Why don't you recommend trims? I assumed a steady hover was what they were intended for. When do you use them?

The idea was first implanted in my head by one of the Traxxas employees who posted here. I am assuming because of the accelerometers if everything is working as it should be the trims should be set at 0. I have found this to be true with my Alias and have also found that recalibrating the accelerometers on a frequent basis seems to keep it hovering and flying correctly. Any time I do any maintenance or replace any parts or have a crash I recalibrate the accelerometers.

I have come to believe if you have to have the trims set at something other than 0 you are compensating for something else that is not as it should be. Be it a dinged up prop or a gritty bearing or something else but something that is not as it should be.
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 03-02-2014 at 08:47 PM.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    I'm with Dad on the trim issue. Of the 6 quads I own and fly, all there trim settings stay at center/zero. 6 axis quads should not need trim IMO.
    Stampede Vxl Aton Summit

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by VGP12 View Post
    I also have had great luck with the v959 motors so far. All I had to do was solder the wires together matching the positive colors and ground is blue to black. Very easy.
    One of Alias features it's "Four high-output motors 50% more power than standard motors". When we replace these motors with V959, aren't we losing something?