RC poster

Velineon 3800 KV/ESC Combo vs. Castle SCT 3800KV Combo ???

Been mulling over a powerplant change, in my Project : Indigo Racer 2wd Slash. I keep hearing about Castle's Short Course Combo, and the Velineon 3800kv Combo.. Anyone have experience with one, or both, systems ?? I seek speed, but also enjoy some good ol' Bashin', Rooster-Tailin'/Kickin' Up Debris, & Jumping... Which has better speeds, and handles 3s Lipos... Currently running Hobbywing E-Z Run 6000kv 5.5T W/ 100A esc on 5000mAh 11.1v 3s Lipos

I want a matching set-up, rather than piecing together something... I would also take info on other combos (matching brands), that have performed admirably, for you...

This post has been merged and edited to remove banned product names. If you type something the filter turns into ******* you have either used foul language which is not allowed or you have mentioned a banned product and must edit your post to remove the offending word

Dadx2mj
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 02-25-2014 at 10:38 AM.
    Rustler Beast, Fiesta Drifter, Slash Roadripper

RC Racer
    strait from traxxas i was just told to not run 3s unless im on hard surface and i plan on doing a single speed PASS not a full battery run but just a pass... i'd go with something that has a hardy esc like the mamba max or mamba monster get something oversized for the truck you will thank yourself come summer when your equipment is only working half as hard as the other guys... spend your money up front and you wont even know what a headache is later cuz you will be having to much fun... just get something bigger than your truck needs... spring for the mamba monster 2 2200kv call it birthday/christmas to yourself

RC Racer
    oh yeah i had the velineon setup prior to killing two esc's in a week on 3s good luck with your choice cuz your the one who will live with it...

RC Qualifier
    I like both and run both but for 3s I would either hit a mmp with 3800 or go bigger like the 2200 with 3s n 4s.
    "Jedi Master"

Just for the record the 1/10 scale velineon is a 3500kv motor not 3800kv.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    Sorry I meant to say cc 3800 n cc 2200
    "Jedi Master"

Quote Originally Posted by Rc_REV View Post
    Sorry I meant to say cc 3800 n cc 2200
    No worries Rc Rev, I was referring to the original posters reference to the velineon as he has said in privies post 3800kv which I believe is the 1/16 slash motor.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    No worries Rc Rev, I was referring to the original posters reference to the velineon as he has said in privies post 3800kv which I believe is the 1/16 slash motor.
    K gotcha I didn't even notice but I am liking the option of getting the cc 2200 motor.
    "Jedi Master"

RC Racer
    I'm currently running the Velineon in my rustler and its pretty nice but it gets hot pretty quick. I was running some bigger tires on it so that probably was why. I just bought the castle creations sv3 system for my 2wd slash because I have heard nothing but great things about it and it should run cooler than the Velineon. At $100 bucks you cant go wrong with that system.

RC Champion
    Go with a Mamba Max setup. The SCT can handle 3S but it's at the limit of it's capacity. The Mamba will have no problem with 3S.
    All those who believe psychokinesis raise my hand

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuckz23 View Post
    I'm currently running the Velineon in my rustler and its pretty nice but it gets hot pretty quick. I was running some bigger tires on it so that probably was why. I just bought the castle creations sv3 system for my 2wd slash because I have heard nothing but great things about it and it should run cooler than the Velineon. At $100 bucks you cant go wrong with that system.
    Agreed but the sidewinder has a good odds of being stressed on 3s especially in warmer temperatures. Mine geared 23/86 with trenchers in 95 degree ambient temps - stayed 140-160 on 2s taking breaks every 10-15 minutes. The esc is what kept on getting above what I considered comfortable- upwards of 160 n that's with the fan blowing on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Jedi Master"

Quote Originally Posted by Rc_REV View Post
    I like both and run both but for 3s I would either hit a mmp with 3800 or go bigger like the 2200 with 3s n 4s.
    Are you referring to the huge 2200 1/8 scale motor.
    I run a 2400kv(550 can) in my pro open, it can take 4s or even 5s but the truck has trouble with all the power.
    I've tried the 2200 and 2650 in my 4wds but for me is still a bit over the top.
    Just my opinion Rc Rev but I'd try the 2400kv and it will also fit without changing the transmission.

RC Qualifier
    Are you referring to the huge 2200 1/8 scale motor.
    I run a 2400kv(550 can) in my pro open, it can take 4s or even 5s but the truck has trouble with all the power.
    I've tried the 2200 and 2650 in my 4wds but for me is still a bit over the top.
    Just my opinion Rc Rev but I'd try the 2400kv and it will also fit without changing the transmission.
    Lol thanks billy-bones that's what I meant, n in a thread that's already confused the 3500 n 3800, makes this kinda funny/annoying. Maybe more ironic than anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Jedi Master"

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    3s? the castle 3800 will outrun, and outlast the vxl. The 2400 is a little milder on 3s than the 3800, but will still out grunt the vxl. The vxl is a super dependable motor on 2s, but 3s requires constant attention to motor temps where the 2 castle motors will run much cooler.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC poster
    Okay, let's say I go Castle 3800kv, with a 2s battery with 30c output. . What kind of speed can a Slash 2wd get, from it ?

Quote Originally Posted by RustyTraxx74 View Post
    Okay, let's say I go Castle 3800kv, with a 2s battery with 30c output. . What kind of speed can a Slash 2wd get, from it ?
    Perhaps this sight will help you with speed goals.
    http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

RC Champion
    Probrably 30-35mph depending on gearing.
    All those who believe psychokinesis raise my hand

RC Qualifier
    I can run 23/76 gearing pretty comfortably in mine without having to check temps too often and I'm getting 40 mph.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzforbrains View Post
    Probrably 30-35mph depending on gearing.
    i was suggested, to switch to 32 pitch gearing, by a guy at my LHS.. Mind you, he's new there, and i've never seen him run/repair/ or even sell an RC of any kind. But he claims to have 6 at home (including a Rustler, getting around 50 mph using VXL set w/ 32 pitch).. Anyone here with experience, with 32's ?? He never commented on Nimhs, or Lipo, but he was addamant about me trying Castle Sidewinder 1/10th scale combos..
    I had already been considering a Sidewinder, or Mamba set up, so I'm taking his advice under thought.. Will be reading up, on it, but experience ( IMO ) is proof vs guesses/estimates/and whats in sales brochures & owners manuals..
    Last edited by RustyTraxx74; 02-27-2014 at 07:07 PM. Reason: editing

I run 32 pitch in one of my trucks, it doesn't make your rig any faster but the theory is their stronger, at this point besides the fact their Robinson racing hardened steal which is obviously stronger I see no real benefits.
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Competitor
    Yeah, 32p doesnt make it any faster, just alot stronger. Mind you, 32p gives you alot less gearing options as you are limited to spur/pinion sizes more. If you run in a sandy area, 32p would make you less likely to foul a gear though.
    EMaxx 3903 / Revo 3.3 5309 / Slash 2wd 58034

RC Racer
    u should still consider the 1/8 motor esc combo if you can afford it you will be hard pressed to overheat a motor esc that was meant to push a truck twice the weight... and if the 2200 is to much for you then it has settings galore that you can tweak it down to 60% power output and she handles nice and tame with power to spare still... but you immediately need new drive shafts to handle the power too... with power comes speed with speed comes breakage... good luck...

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    the 2200 is very heavy, will not fit the stock gearbox, and needs 4s. Stick with the 1/10 stuff...
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Racer
    It fits just fine it drops right in and only needs 3s and its rediculous power more than compinsates for its little bit of extra weight... and i will never cry about not being able to put a full run in, in the middle of summer because my esc or motor are to warm... pack after pack after pack...

Quote Originally Posted by MooGooLikeIDo View Post
    It fits just fine it drops right in and only needs 3s and its rediculous power more than compinsates for its little bit of extra weight... and i will never cry about not being able to put a full run in, in the middle of summer because my esc or motor are to warm... pack after pack after pack...
    I dont believe the 2200 will fit the 2wd, in fact I'm 95% sure it wont.
    rag6 is correct.
    There is a fella who did it however he had to get a different transmission or at the very least a new and different style case.
    Imo you'll regret going with a motor that heavy requiring 4s to perform worth a darn.
    The 2400kv 550 can will drop in and its still 1/10 scale but really meant for the 4wd.

RC Racer
    rag6 is correct.
    There is a fella who did it however he had to get a different transmission or at the very least a new and different style case.
    Imo you'll regret going with a motor that heavy requiring 4s to perform worth a darn.
    The 2400kv 550 can will drop in and its still 1/10 scale but really meant for the 4wd.
    I am the first to admit when i am wrong.... I AM WRONG... i somehow ended up reading this thread and not sure how i got here i assumed i was still reading out of the 4x4 slash catagory... my bad my bad my bad... sorry guys hope i didn't step on toes here... not my intentions i was thinking in my mind it fits just fine cuz i just put one in not to long ago... into a 4x4 that is... anyways i will get back to where i belong... peace...

Quote Originally Posted by MooGooLikeIDo View Post
    I am the first to admit when i am wrong.... I AM WRONG... i somehow ended up reading this thread and not sure how i got here i assumed i was still reading out of the 4x4 slash catagory... my bad my bad my bad... sorry guys hope i didn't step on toes here... not my intentions i was thinking in my mind it fits just fine cuz i just put one in not to long ago... into a 4x4 that is... anyways i will get back to where i belong... peace...
    I had a feeling that was what you were thinking, as I've seen you on the 4wd forum.

RC Qualifier
    rag6 is correct.
    So the mamba max pro sct combo, this one http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...x_pro_sct.html. This will fit the 2wd with no modifications right? Would you recommend this for 2wd or is it only for 4wd like you said? I'm going to my lhs and buy the sv3 sct and a new slash , one for off-road and on road.I know I made my own thread but I want to buy the mmp sct so it won't be hot even on 90 degree weathers. I'm planning on putting 2.8 wheels too with this system. Can the mmp sct use 2s without doing any harm? Because in the website it's designed up to 6s but recommended 3s or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobiispo View Post
    So the mamba max pro sct combo, this one http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...x_pro_sct.html. This will fit the 2wd with no modifications right? Would you recommend this for 2wd or is it only for 4wd like you said? I'm going to my lhs and buy the sv3 sct and a new slash , one for off-road and on road.I know I made my own thread but I want to buy the mmp sct so it won't be hot even on 90 degree weathers. I'm planning on putting 2.8 wheels too with this system. Can the mmp sct use 2s without doing any harm? Because in the website it's designed up to 6s but recommended 3s or more.
    It will fit fine but the motor likes 3s, the esc will run 2s but I wouldn't suggest 6s with the mmp, I ran 5s thru it once and it got very hot fast, one speed run fast.
    The slash is to heavy for anything over 4s for the mmp imo.
    This is a pro line trans case but the stock trans excepts it also.
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Qualifier
    It will fit fine but the motor likes 3s, the esc will run 2s but I wouldn't suggest 6s with the mmp, I ran 5s thru it once and it got very hot fast, one speed run fast.
    The slash is to heavy for anything over 4s for the mmp imo.
    This is a pro line trans case but the stock trans excepts it also.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Heck no I'm not going 6s haha. If I run 4s with two 2s lipo batteries, will the battery time be similar? And what was your speed on 3s, and 4s? Sorry for so much questions, you're so helpful! Keep it up!

Forgot to ask, since you have the system already, what are those axles? That's the main thing I have to upgrade right?
    Last edited by Cobiispo; 03-07-2014 at 11:35 PM.

My fasted run with a gps was 82mph on 4s geared 35/69.
    The axles on it in the pic were pro line but their junk, after five packs I thru the yokes away, now with the pro track suspension it runs a mip electric rustler kit with one pro line dog bone on the right, the mip was a touch to long because the pro line trans case has a weird offset.

RC Qualifier
    My fasted run with a gps was 82mph on 4s geared 35/69.
    The axles on it in the pic were pro line but their junk, after five packs I thru the yokes away, now with the pro track suspension it runs a mip electric rustler kit with one pro line dog bone on the right, the mip was a touch to long because the pro line trans case has a weird offset.
    So what axles would be good? I'm going to buy the proline rear arms so I would need one that fits perfectly, also running 2.8 wheels and tires. A good but cheap one maybe?