RC poster

I just got the teton

I got the latrax teton as my first rc car. I was happy but then it started making a grinding/clicking noise. I think i stripped a diff. Can someone teach me how to open it up to see if im right?

RC Qualifier
    Do you know which one it is? Front or rear?
    Twin Brushless Latrax Teton, .21TM Jato

RC poster
    Both... Sigh...

dang sorry must have been lemon

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by baconrocks View Post
    Both... Sigh...
    It's not hard, you take off your shock towers, bumpers, and the screws that hold the top of the diff on out and it lefts off. I'm probably forgetting something, refer to your manual for how it comes apart

I really doubt you stripped both metal diffs... People running the Rally with plastic diffs don't really have issues... I'm willing to bet it's a spur/pinion gear issue, like a rock got stuck in the teeth.
    Manager at LHS ~7 Years. I've seen some stuff lol

RC Enthusiast
    Mine started making a very loud clicking noise on its first run in the dirt. I've taken it completely apart now, checked both diffs. No sign of any damage to the diffs. As people have pointed out, the ring gear is metal. I suspect my issue is with the spur gear. A tiny grain of sand probably got kicked up under the cover and was ground into the plastic spur gear. I have thoroughly inspected every tooth on the spur gear, and none of the teeth are broken, chipped, or deformed, but the grain could have been embedded into the plastic, so it may not even be visible. It sure is loud though. When I remove the motor, everything spins quiet and free. Only when the pinion gear and spur gear are meshed does it make the horrible clickety clack. It will be nice when the spare parts start to show up. My LHS hasn't gotten anything in yet for the Teton.

RC Qualifier
    Your gear mesh is prolly not good

Traxxas Employee
    Quote Originally Posted by Boldfin View Post
    Mine started making a very loud clicking noise on its first run in the dirt. I've taken it completely apart now, checked both diffs. No sign of any damage to the diffs. As people have pointed out, the ring gear is metal. I suspect my issue is with the spur gear. A tiny grain of sand probably got kicked up under the cover and was ground into the plastic spur gear. I have thoroughly inspected every tooth on the spur gear, and none of the teeth are broken, chipped, or deformed, but the grain could have been embedded into the plastic, so it may not even be visible. It sure is loud though. When I remove the motor, everything spins quiet and free. Only when the pinion gear and spur gear are meshed does it make the horrible clickety clack. It will be nice when the spare parts start to show up. My LHS hasn't gotten anything in yet for the Teton.
    This I could see. I also had a little rock get stuck in the spur gear of a Rally. It was hard to see, but I kept feeling a rough spot. The same thing could happen to the Teton, but I cannot ever see those diffs being damaged with a stock motor or even a small brushless.

I just got the teton

Thread closed because the OP is playing games.
    I have serious doubts whether he even has a Teton.

Either way: Thanks for lending a hand, gentlemen.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-28-2014 at 12:03 AM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =