RC Racer

Motor died 2 days after purchase while filming its 11th flight

Well i guess the motor problems are true, only after 2 days and on its 11th flight i have a dead motor, i actually have it on film when it died just dropped out of the air went to go pick up and had trouble flying it for the next few mins until i noticed my rear motor was very weak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGg1v...ature=youtu.be

RC Racer
    Called traxxas i must say your customer support is a A+
    I think i was on the phone for about 4 mins and there sending me 2 rear motors.

RC Racer
    the only thing that bothers me is the motors are bit to expensive, if they where 2 or 3 dollars each i would not even care if one burned out early. I wouldnt even have called. Hopefully like you said they will do a rolling update to the motors.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    This is how Traxxas handles things in most cases. You have to get pretty out of line or be expecting the unreasonable to not have a favorable experience with Traxxas support

What do you expect life time free replacement of motors? Like I said you have to be expecting the unreasonable to be disappointed.
    Not a lifetime. But a customer should be able to expect that an item works for a reasonable amount of time. If Traxxas sends replacements, and those go out a week later, why shouldn't they replace them. (they should).

Think about what you are saying. If you bought a clothes dryer, and there was an issue with that dryer where the heating element went out, then you called them and they sent you a new one, then the new one went out too-- yes-- your darn right you'd be entitled to a replacement. Even if its not specifically written, every product has an implied warranty of merchantability.

In 1998 Bomardier came up with a new engine for their watercraft. A lot of them were failing. The company would repair the motor free the first time, then started telling customers to pound sand when it happened again. A class action lawsuit was filed. The manufacturer ended up having to buy back all of the watercraft from owners who were having problems.

I'm not bashing Traxxas.. I love Traxxas products. Their support has been fair to me so far (and I have purchased A LOT of Traxxas products in the past few months). I LOVE the fact that they design their products in the USA and that when you call for help, my call is answered quickly, and by an American. (I'd pay a premium if the products were made here too.) But I am so sick of hearing people defend them to the death. Yes they are very good to their customers for the most part. But they are not holier-than-thou.

For some people the company can do no wrong in their eyes.
    Last edited by Jerry1234; 03-01-2014 at 04:19 AM.

The point is Traxxas has excellent customer support and stands behind their product . Some people just seem to expect the unreasonable and push these limits. The fact is brushed motors of this type wear out and need to be replaced and has hobbyist we should know and understand this. Clearly if a motor fails in a day or two or even a week or two the implied warranty should and DOES cover you. Clearly there have been some issues with motor durability and supply. No question Traxxas is aware of this more than anyone and is working to improve the situation.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Enthusiast

RC Racer
    i haven't crashed mine at all, i mean u can see in my video i was was 7 or 8 feet off ground when the motor just failed and dropped to the ground, i had concerns before i even bought this thing, but after thinking about it i thought maybe its just a small percentage of people having problems, what are odds that i would fall into that small percentage of people that get a faulty motor. Now im not so sure if its really a small percentage. just my thoughts on it. anyway when i get my replacement motors in, if another one dies before say 40 or so flights. i may just ebay the thing and look at other options. i want to give it a chance but if motors only last a few days there is no way i can afford the cost to keep it in the air at that rate.

RC Enthusiast
    I feel your pain Turdpeterson...I just did my first flight after purchasing from LHS and I am having rear motor problems and can not perform my second flight.

I must say that it flew very stable and easy for a first time quad flier. I had a lot of fun, but at the end of my maiden flight it flipped over because a motor stopped, and it seems to be seized up. The other rear motor is acting weird too, half power.

So, I am going to go to my local shop first, then through the normal customer service and I'll let you all know when it is back up running. I can't wait because it is really fun!

Also, this is my first post on this forum and I am sure you all have tons of great info I will find here.
    Thanks!

-Tom of Las Cruces, NM

RC poster
    I agree with Jerry1234. It has been disappointing. It is a great product with a few flaws that need to be made right by replacing motors that are prematurely failing. My first motor failure was on my 7th flight. I was bummed but I thought it was maybe a freak thing. Then it happened again a couple flights later on the same place. That's when I started feeling a little cheated. A friend who turned me on to these has the same problem. So taking responsibility for this, on their part is the right thing to do. Also it is a plus that you get to deal with Americans as Jerry stated, and I would be willing to pay more if it all was American made. Like Grandpa used to say " buy American and you will always have a job!"

RC poster
    I have several drones and I want to buy this one as well. I'm very impressed with several videos showing a very good behavior when flying with bad wind conditions. However, like many others I will not spend a single dollar till they solve these motor issues.

RC Qualifier
    Time for the v959 motors

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by VGP12 View Post
    Time for the v959 motors
    Agreed! Or you can try these: http://micro-motor-warehouse.com/products/cl-0820-15

RC Competitor
    Hmmm . . . I'm surprised the previous posts by VGP12 and jscarano even showed up here, given that they're recommending "Brand X" and "Brand Y" motors.

But then again, maybe LaTrax/Traxxas realizes that they can't stop the trend, since their motors have been so unreliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Winder-388thVFW View Post
    Hmmm . . . I'm surprised the previous posts by VGP12 and jscarano even showed up here, given that they're recommending "Brand X" and "Brand Y" motors.

But then again, maybe LaTrax/Traxxas realizes that they can't stop the trend, since their motors have been so unreliable.
    You are making a very miss guided assumption here. To my knowledge Traxxas has never stopped members from talking about after market or other manufacturer parts being used on any Traxxas vehicle. Traxxas does not allow you talking about other manufacturer's vehicles on this forum but that is it.

If you want to talk about trends I dont think there has been enough time to say for sure in either direction but it is starting to look like to me the complaints about motors are slowing down. I know the replacement motors I got from Traxxas are holding up very well so far, but like I said not enough time has past yet to say for sure.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by Winder-388thVFW View Post
    Since when has discussion about aftermarket parts been prohibited? The rules don't allow seeking support for aftermarket products, but that's a different animal than discussing aftermarket parts. If discussion about aftermarket parts wasn't allowed, you wouldn't see any posts recommending Pro-Line tires, Castle brushless systems, etc. in some of the other sub-forums.

EDIT: You beat me to it Dadx2!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Competitor
    I'm with you I wish more companies would stay 100% American and I also would pay a premium. Too bad that's never gonna happen unless everyone sounded off and stopped buying from China. I could go on about this topic for days! But i wont its useless.
    Your not having fun unless you break it!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TRX_RC_ADDIC View Post
    I'm with you I wish more companies would stay 100% American and I also would pay a premium. Too bad that's never gonna happen unless everyone sounded off and stopped buying from China. I could go on about this topic for days! But i wont its useless.
    I wish you were right. The $150 quad would cost $200, maybe $250. Maybe you'd buy it but not enough would to make it a viable product. Then nobody could buy it.

RC Enthusiast
    Just an update from my previous post that is below...

I went to my local shop and they checked out my Alias and said it needed new motors. They said their shop Alias has had all 4 of its' motors changed, but maybe they fly it a lot. I called Traxxas support and after telling the person that I did not crash it (3 times), the person said he would send me the motors when they get them. So, I wait. Unfortunately, this has just led me to look at other brands or ideas. I really loved the single flight I got with the Alias, but I look at my quad sitting (for a week)and don't know when I will fly it again. I guess I need a spare quad so I can fly.

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by 1tom2go View Post
    I feel your pain Turdpeterson...I just did my first flight after purchasing from LHS and I am having rear motor problems and can not perform my second flight.

I must say that it flew very stable and easy for a first time quad flier. I had a lot of fun, but at the end of my maiden flight it flipped over because a motor stopped, and it seems to be seized up. The other rear motor is acting weird too, half power.

So, I am going to go to my local shop first, then through the normal customer service and I'll let you all know when it is back up running. I can't wait because it is really fun!

Also, this is my first post on this forum and I am sure you all have tons of great info I will find here.
    Thanks!

-Tom of Las Cruces, NM

RC Racer
    It appears the stock of replacement motors has been used up (again). My Alias would also be parked except I bought a set of four spares two or three weeks ago when they were available. Which is a good thing, because when I recently lost a motor, Traxxas agreed to replace it -- but haven't yet. Since their parts site says out of stock, I assume I'll get it when they get it.

Point is, I'm still flying because I fronted my own spares. I trust Traxxas will catch up when they can.

RC poster

Try this on your motors

Take some small strips of electrical tape and tape up the holes on the motor at the top and the bottom. If you overlap the tape onto the side it won't fit into the frame. That should extend the life of the motor and help prevent the brush from burning up, which if you've disassembled one is what you've discovered, some or all of the tiny fingers on the brush have burned away. It can still happen, but it doesn't seem to be happening as frequently.

I find that if a prop gets stuck against something, say a chair leg while flying in the house or if I'm outside and I turtle it into the ground at moderate throttle, that it seems to burn up the brush in the motor more or less instantly. I've been through about 6 motors, at least one in each position. The reliability of the motors has gone up since I made the slight mod. At least my cring reflex has dropped

Traxxas seem to be aware of the issue and working on it. My first few motors were replaced by Traxxas at no cost. I hope y'all get your motors quickly and that they have it sorted out out soon. Happy Flying!

RC Racer
    Interesting, contrary to most thoughts on the subject. You think taping up the holes helps how?

I'm a skeptic on the tape, but think you're spot-on about stalling the motors under throttle.

RC Qualifier
    the V959's that I am testing on my orange Alias have no holes top or bottom. so far, they are performing flawlessly and with no loss of power or performance. I don't know what the means, if anything, but the fact that they have no holes for cooling doesn't seem to make a difference. what I do know, is that the brass pinion wears against the gear and many (myself included) have found a fine brass dust from the pinion as well as a fine black dust from the gear collected around the gear well and on top of the motor. many people seem to feel that if this dust gets in to the brush area of the motor through those top holes, it could cause damage to them? whether that is true or not here, I cant honestly say personally, but I can say that anything foreign in the area of the brushes cant be good for them. I keep the gear motor area as clean as possible after each flight.
    I chose to clean my bearings after about every 25 flights. I have also found this dust collected inside of them as well. the shielded bearings are a very good idea in this case and I will be going with them soon.
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

RC Enthusiast
    have a set one the way also ordered CL-0802-15 from micro motors http://micro-motor-warehouse.com/products/cl-0820-15.. From what I can find they are more powerful and do decrease run time!! so far only place i can find a direct fit replacement battery is from max amps 800mh about 18$

RC poster
    Let us know how the aftermarket motors hold up. Also, if you tried 800mAh batteries, did they increase run time?
    Thanks

RC Racer
    I wouldn't buy either the 0802 motor or the MaxAmp battery. Over on RCG the motors have been failing (but they're being worked on) and the battery didn't fit well and performed poorer than the stock battery. Someday the 0802 motor may be the way to go.

RC Racer
    I Still haven't got my replacement motors from traxxas, been over a month now.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1 View Post
    I wouldn't buy either the 0802 motor or the MaxAmp battery. Over on RCG the motors have been failing (but they're being worked on) and the battery didn't fit well and performed poorer than the stock battery. Someday the 0802 motor may be the way to go.
    um, slight problem with this.

I'm one of the people who have been running the chaoli 0820-15 motors. I have had just one go, but that was early and most likely a freak thing. Since I got eight of them, I dropped in a new one, and have been flying them ever since. I'm still testing their longevity however and the main reason mine have lasted this long is because nine days out of ten, it's been raining. So as you can guess, opportunities to fly have been pretty rare.

I also own other quads that run similar motors to the Alias, and there was only one time I had to replace motors in that one. That however was after months of flying. And I don't fly it like I'm scared to do stuff with it. I go full bore. Right to its' limits. So I have an idea of how long these motors are supposed to last. With that in mind, I was a little disappointed after I had two alias motors go out within a week. Although Traxxas did hook me up with new ones, I put them to the side as backups.

Just so we're clear here; I am NOT bashing Traxxas, its' products or practices, nor should it be interpreted as any implications as such. I am however stating observations I have experienced thus far.

RC Racer
    And Ron_Dog lost 2 of his 4 Chaoli's shortly after installing them. Chaoli's don't seem to be more reliable than Traxxas at this point, but at least we know they're being worked on. They're just not ready for prime-time yet. I'll be in line when they are.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1 View Post
    And Ron_Dog lost 2 of his 4 Chaoli's shortly after installing them. Chaoli's don't seem to be more reliable than Traxxas at this point, but at least we know they're being worked on. They're just not ready for prime-time yet. I'll be in line when they are.
    I am well aware of this. I'm in that thread aswell.

RC Racer
    replacement motor came about a week ago, replaced just the one bad motor, im around 35 flights now and its still going strong. the motors they sent me are different no holes on the top at all