RC Qualifier

Double orange springs not stiff enough

Has anyone else noticed that the double orange springs don't cut it ? My biggest issue is the truck loses all it's travel in the back under acceleration and there is no room for the suspension to sufficiently absorb the rough terrain under power.

RC Competitor
    I found the same issue. I am using the revo purple springs with 150wt oil. I don't think the dewalt and a few other upgrades don't weigh much more than stock, but like the way it handles now. It still squats, but at least the back doesn't drag on the ground.

I solved this with the variable damping kit... changed the shock oil to 50wt and added a few drops of 10K diff fluid to them. A few others on different forums have copied this recipe for the rear shocks and they all have been pleased with the results.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    My issue has nothing to do with damping.the orange springs are not stiff enough for my application.

I am just saying what I did... and I had the same issue you are describing.
    Damping will slow down compression, btw.

Double orange are the stiffest Summit springs available... unless you find something non-RC or want to crank a lot of preload to use Revo springs. If you do, make sure the coils are not binding upon full compression.

RC Qualifier
    Unfortunately double orange springs are the stiffest on the market.as for revo coils I don't want to use them due to theyr shorter length.here is what I came up with,I just need to find a two 3mm screws that would have to be about 40mm long...I sure hope they make them.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Cky View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that the double orange springs don't cut it ? My biggest issue is the truck loses all it's travel in the back under acceleration and there is no room for the suspension to sufficiently absorb the rough terrain under power.
    I use the 112mm pushrods in the back and it sits up higher without the squat. I think the stock is 102mm. its pn 5319x

Dewalt 820 Summit, Brushless Summit, ERBE

RC Champion
    I like the double shock setup! I was planning on doing the same, and ordered some longer screws for it from eBay a year ago. Found them the other day and thought, "whoa what the heck are THESE for!?" Now I remember!

I have the shocks in a bag beside me, was planning double orange below and yellows above. No room now though with the reversed motor mount

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Cky View Post
    My issue has nothing to do with damping.the orange springs are not stiff enough for my application.
    Dampening has allot to do with it. Slow down the dampening when the shocks are cycling fast and it will not squat as bad. I went with the vbr kit and 80wt and it helped with the squatting but still gave me full suspension movment and a low stance.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    How much preload have you set on the yellow?
    Summit RX8/1550kv-Slash4x4 MM2/2400kv Twin-V Merv.

RC Qualifier
    Alright.if I'm not mistaken thicker shock oil slows down shock rebound times and gives you less time for the wheels to contact the ground.it might work for rock crawling but my setup is for bashing.i am sure most people have seen videos of baja trucks blazing the desert ground and you can see how fast the suspension works.

RC Qualifier
    Ok, let's see if my understanding of shocks is right! first, thicker oil, will make the shock to react less to bumps( will move slower up / down). Thinner oil will make the up/down movement quwicker. Secondly, soft spring will make the shock move up/down more faster and will tend to stand lower, making the body slap down. IN MY POINT OF VIEW(In capital to make sure that it involve no one but my), thicker oil mixed with the orange springs in the back and the right amount of preload, should be enough to get rid of the back squat. My 2 cents!
    Summit RX8/1550kv-Slash4x4 MM2/2400kv Twin-V Merv.

RC Champion
    I can run my truck as fast as I want over the roughest terrain and my wheels are always in contact with the ground and never boxes out.
    Also the shocks on baja are dual rate. Have u watched them when they take a huge jump? They land soft and slow. Then when they are on the bumps they speed up to absorb the smaller.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

That is why I went with the variable damping... it is slow to compress and quick to rebound.

RC Qualifier
    VD Kit is a winner. Great upgrade for the Summit.

On the other hand if you wanted to use shorter, stiffer REVO springs without having to crank down the preload ring, all you need to do is make a PVC (or similar) ring of the right lenght and diameter to make up for the shorter spring. Place it between the preload ring ad the spring...voila! (Kinda like the clip on adjustements that smaller, non threaded shocks have).
    Sag is an inherent trait of the REVO suspension design. You will not get rid of it, but you can adjust it with spring weight, oil weight and the VD Kit suggested above. And apparently with double shocks (thinking outside the box works great also).
    Working hard to appear reasonably sane.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    I solved this with the variable damping kit... changed the shock oil to 50wt and added a few drops of 10K diff fluid to them. A few others on different forums have copied this recipe for the rear shocks and they all have been pleased with the results.
    Hey Jimmie, did you do this to the front and rear (few drops of 10k diff fluid to them) or just the rear and plain 50wt oil in the front?

Just thickened up the rear with the 10k, not the front.

RC Racer
    I have 60wt and the vdp kit with double orange springs. Crank the preload up a about 1/2" in the rear with that and it will never come close to smacking the ground. It will still squat slightly if you fully punch it. If you do a nice slow acceleration it stays level. I absolutely hated the stock setup. I love the way it is now. Remember the shocks control the springs bound and rebound.

RC poster
    Hello!

How are using VDP, which pistons do you use?

RC Champion
    sorry cant remember. Im sure if you search some of jimmy's posts he has it someware. that's where i got my info when i did it

It seems that my build thread pictures no longer work... so, here is the post pertaining to the shocks on another forum so you have some pictures to look at as well:
    http://leadingedgemachining.net/foru...ull=1#post2053

Found the original Traxxas post:
    https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5275150
    Last edited by JimmyNeutron; 02-14-2015 at 11:30 AM.

RC Racer
    What part number is the variable dampening kit for the Summit?

The part number is listed in both links in my above post.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyNeutron View Post
    I copied this recipe and I love the results. Now the summit drives the way I like.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyNeutron View Post
    Thanks foy reply. Just got my VDP. Going to reassemble shocks...

RC Racer
    The double orange is not the stiffest spring for the summit, whoever told you this should open their book and look under springs. Double orange are 5.4, traxxas part number 5445 are 6.4 part number 5444 is 5.9. As for the length, you turn the shock collar till it touches the spring. You shouldn't have to compress the 5445 with the collars because they are really stiff as this is what I am using in the rear with 70 weight oil, and also I have the double orange in the front with 60 weight oil. My truck drives awsome and after two years all I can complain about is the 65 and 16 combo makes me hit jumps like I would with my stampede and the gears in the diffs can't take it. This is my own fault as it's not a race truck, and she's way too fast for a summit.

RC Qualifier
    I have orange in back and with some added pretension by threading the cap down i have 0 squating under acceleration. If u replaced the yellows with orange and added some tension then i dont see why u still having squat. Certainly nothing like factory. Mine doesnt squat more then afew mls now and its not even noticeable. And thats with only alil pretension.

RC Qualifier
    I just reworked mine today. Double orange springs in the back with half 40wt and half 70wt oil. Double yellow in front with 70wt oil. I think I like it. Both of them have about a half inch of preload.

RC Champion
    So technically you have lighter or close to the same weight oil in the rear.

RC Racer
    double orange springs all round 60wt oil front 70 wt back VDP and the valve on top so i get slower compression and faster rebound. great for crawling and jumping alike. I just changed to this and IMO its the best set up i have tried to date.