Thread: charger issues

RC Racer

charger issues

Well I bought a new alias along with 3 extra batteries and notcied after a few cycles on each battery I was losing more and more fly time so I started to watch my voltage with a lipo checker to find out the standard charger isnt stopping the charge at 4.20 instead its charging up to 4.25 - 4.28
    Tried my regular charger and all checked out at 4.2 but now it looks like im out the usb charger and 4 batteries

RC Racer
    If you have a full featured digital charger, discharge your batteries to 3.0V and then recharge to 4.2V and see how much capacity they suck up. Mine typically accept 700 mah +/-25. Not saying you should do this regularly -- just a check up.

Why do you even use the USB charger if you have a hobby-grade lipo charger? I like monitoring things rather than just plug in and hope for the best.

BTW, that was not a typo. I have yet to find a Traxxas Alias battery that didn't have max capacity exceeding its 650mah rating. Good job Traxxas.

RC Enthusiast
    How much flight time have you lost? I have 3 batteries with at 35 charges ea I run them til the beep and charge them til the red light goes off. the charge time is the same within a minute or or so and so is the flight time. Are you talking minutes of flight or more?

RC Racer
    Sorry, I don't pay any attention to flight time. I practice a lot of close in stability maneuvering, precision landings and such. So I typically have multiple flights per battery. But like you I generally don't pull the battery until I get the triple beep and I always check the refill capacity. It has not declined so I assume my total flight time hasn't either. But I don't have as many charges as you. Maybe 10ish on each of my three batteries.

Note, my refill after flight use is substantially less than when I cycle on the charger. Typically between 500 and 550. Which tells us the Alias LVC is pretty conservative on it's warning. Looks like it only pulls 70 to 75% of the battery charge. Should make for happy batteries.

I just started using my Hyperion 720i to charge my Alias packs just because I wanted to see how many mah they were actually taking and to see what the voltage whas when I hit the beep warning for LVC. I have used it three times now and the packs seem to be right around the 3.75 to 3.78v range when I hit LVC and are taking about 550 mah back in on a charge. I only have two packs and would guesstimate they have about 40-45 cycles each on them.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    Im getting about 10 mins sometimes less now but I had a motor go out on me today after about 20-25 flights so im gonna give traxxas a call tomarrow

And I use the usb charger cause I have a bettery pack that charges usb ports so doing it that way I dont have to be near a wall charger or plugged into my car battery
    Everything stays in my case and I can charge anywhere

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    I just started using my Hyperion 720i to charge my Alias packs just because I wanted to see how many mah they were actually taking and to see what the voltage whas when I hit the beep warning for LVC. I have used it three times now and the packs seem to be right around the 3.75 to 3.78v range when I hit LVC and are taking about 550 mah back in on a charge. I only have two packs and would guesstimate they have about 40-45 cycles each on them.
    Right im getting the same results but since ive noticed the charging issue their discharging alot quicker when I discovered it it was after a charge on the usb and it read 4.28 witch in result it could have caused the motor failure. I had about 10 flights in before I caught on to the issue

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    I just started using my Hyperion 720i to charge my Alias packs just because I wanted to see how many mah they were actually taking and to see what the voltage was when I hit the beep warning for LVC. I have used it three times now and the packs seem to be right around the 3.75 to 3.78v range when I hit LVC and are taking about 550 mah back in on a charge. I only have two packs and would guesstimate they have about 40-45 cycles each on them.
    I don't have a Hyperion (I do have what is frequently referenced as a "battery cooker") but I've found I get the same results.
    The Super Derecho